22 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

First time taking it. Been studying like crazy for the last three months.Just a little nervous. :wacko:

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

It was less uncomfortable than I thought it would be. Good luck.

Edited by RommelMagic, 26 April 2009 - 07:19 AM.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

First time taking it. Been studying like crazy for the last three months.Just a little nervous. :wacko:

good luck! :)

#4 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

How'd it go?BrewBasser

#5 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

I'd say you were alright.I don't have the memory to study for the exam the way I did when I was younger.I have the styles book and delve into it from time to time, but don't ask me tomemorize anything.

#6 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

The one thing everyone comments on is how much of a beating their wrist and hand takes writing so much so fast for so long. Especially if you're many years out of school, you will not have held a pencil for 1/10 of the time you'll be holding it during the exam. I think I would've done better if I took a portion of study time and just used it to practice speed writing.

#7 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:09 PM

The one thing everyone comments on is how much of a beating their wrist and hand takes writing so much so fast for so long. Especially if you're many years out of school, you will not have held a pencil for 1/10 of the time you'll be holding it during the exam.

Damn straight - everyone was mentioning how their hand hurt.

#8 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

Wow, ya. That exam is a beast!!I feel pretty good. I didn't run out of time and answered all the questions pretty thoroughly.But...ya never know.I'm somewhere between a headache and euphoria right now. It's such a relief that it's done.Now I just have to wait a few months for the results. Arrrrggggg!!!!!!!!Thanks for the positive energy!!Prost!!!

#9 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

Good luck! Got mine coming this fall.

#10 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

I really need to retake it. I flubbed all the questions about the organization itself...

#11 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:16 AM

Time for a retake for me as well. I just got my last experience point to reach the next level -- judging a flight for a solid 3.5 hours will likewise give you a serious pencil ache in your hand! -- but I also need to score 2 extra points on the exam as well. After the past 3 or 4 years, I've learned MUCH MUCH more than I knew the first time I took it, so it should be a breeze this time around.

#12 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

The best part of the test was when that phone rang with the ringer calling the owner to come to his phone and answer it. :P (I was in the same room as Wolfgang.)I think I will be an apprentice. I know I missed every commercial example question. Just drew blanks. I also blew some of the others where I was supposed to describe things. My ability to make words on paper failed to happen as it often does. A few hours later, they all come to mind. Essay is not my cup of tea. This is why I never took it before even though so many people assume I had.

#13 crankycat

crankycat

Comptroller of Zombies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:09 PM

I have been organizing a class in Minneapolis helping people prep for the exam twice a year for the last four years. (I administered an exam this past Sunday in MN.) What did they give you for exam beers?(I have taken the BJCP exam three times and am at National. I am also one of six people who took/passed the pilot BJCP mead exam.)

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:17 PM

I took the exam once and scored 1 point below Master. I ain't takin' it again until I have enough experience points to get to Master...and maybe not even then!

#15 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:16 AM

I took the exam once and scored 1 point below Master. ...

:wub:

#16 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

I have been organizing a class in Minneapolis helping people prep for the exam twice a year for the last four years. (I administered an exam this past Sunday in MN.) What did they give you for exam beers?(I have taken the BJCP exam three times and am at National. I am also one of six people who took/passed the pilot BJCP mead exam.)

They where all home brews. An ESB, Russian Imperial, Belgian Triple and I forgot the 4th.

#17 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29334 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

They where all home brews. An ESB, Russian Imperial, Belgian Triple and I forgot the 4th.

how were they?It is my understanding that normally1 outstanding 1 has obvious flaws (infection / doctored)2 middle of the road with minor issues or mis categorized

#18 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

how were they?It is my understanding that normally1 outstanding 1 has obvious flaws (infection / doctored)2 middle of the road with minor issues or mis categorized

The stout was awful. Had a number of problems (no carbonation, too sweet, nasty...)The Triple was laced with alcohol- really 'hot'I gave the ESB a pretty high scoreStill can't remember the 4th.

#19 crankycat

crankycat

Comptroller of Zombies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

When I have prepped beers for the exam, this is what I shoot for: one in the high 30s/40s, two in the 20s/low30s, and one 13+ score-wise.I like to use both commercial and homebrewed examples.

#20 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:01 AM

I think that last one was supposed to be a Pale Ale which was a bit on the dark side, but otherwise was perfect. None of them were 13's. Even the uncarbonated stout was not horrible! I disagreed that the Pale Ale was perfect other than color, but the other people in the class felt it was very good. Then again, Pale Ale is not one of my favorites. I usually pick my 3 "don't make me judge" choices as Pale Ale, Belgians, and Wheats. I actually gave the Triple highest scores. Others said it was not that good. As in out of style. Oh well! I thought it had the least number of flaws. So it wasn't sour enough. That was less of a flaw than a Pale Ale that is brown in color!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users