#21 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

[*]Shook the keg for 45 seconds.[*]Shook the keg again for 30 seconds.

Shaking the keg = carbonic acid = nasty bite on the tongue = days to clear up. And large bubbles.You had plenty of time to force your keg. As others noted, the colder the easier for the co2 to suspend which = shorter time. 32-36hrs bottoms up, 22psi, 38* or < will get you a perfect pour with tiny bubbles and no carbonic acid. Even top down for the same amount of time and temp. but kick the psi up and the results are the same.

#22 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

Shaking the keg = carbonic acid = nasty bite on the tongue = days to clear up. And large bubbles.You had plenty of time to force your keg. As others noted, the colder the easier for the co2 to suspend which = shorter time. 32-36hrs bottoms up, 22psi, 38* or < will get you a perfect pour with tiny bubbles and no carbonic acid. Even top down for the same amount of time and temp. but kick the psi up and the results are the same.

Well, it will have 2.5 days. I got in a rush this morning and didn't reread the thread before trying to carb the beer. Lesson learned.I'm gonna let it sit and not touch it till I absolutely have to on Friday. It's in Silenus' hands now.Cheers,Rich

#23 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

Did you bring the keg pressure down to serving after you were satisfied with your carb level? Just checking.

#24 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:24 AM

Did you bring the keg pressure down to serving after you were satisfied with your carb level? Just checking.

Its at 12 psi now. Is that a good serving pressure?Cheers,Rich

#25 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:54 AM

Its at 12 psi now. Is that a good serving pressure?Cheers,Rich

Varies with length and size of serving tubing. But yes, 8-12psi. I prefer my levels/pressure so when i tilt my pint glass into the pour it glides down the side of the pint. Then when there is 4 fingers in the glass, straighten it and set the glass down on the top of my kegerator. The stream should be whole and not hollow. Then while the rest of the glass is being poured, you can watch the gentle cascade of co2 release into the beer as it fills. I end up with a few knuckles of foam.

#26 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

Should I try a sample tonight?Cheers,Rich

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

Well, shit. Its a good thing I checked the beer because its under carbed. What should I do?1. try the shake method again2. Just set the pressure high and let it sit overnight???Cheers,Rich

#28 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

Ok, its just one of the kegs is undercarbed.Should I set the serving pressure and turn the gas off to the carbed keg or should I leave the gas on?Cheers,Rich

#29 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

Ok, its just one of the kegs is undercarbed.Should I set the serving pressure and turn the gas off to the carbed keg or should I leave the gas on?Cheers,Rich

If you know one of the kegs is carbed to the level you are happy with I would turn off the gas and just leave it on the uncarbed one overnight.

#30 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64255 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

Set the regulator to your serving pressure then agitate the keg until it stops taking gas. Shaking it doesn't help and probably hurts. You just want the liquid to be well mixed. I'd recommend slowly turning it end over end. It may take a while to get it right. Give it a taste every 5 minutes or so until it gets where you want it.Use the chart to determine your carbing/serving pressure. Shoot for 2.3-2.5 volumes. Remember, if the temperature of the beer is rising during the process, you need to turn up the pressure to keep the carb level where you want it.

#31 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

And don't worry about carbonic acid bite - that's an old wives' tale.

#32 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:27 PM

I have it set to 25 and I'll leave it over night. The other one is just pressurized for serving.Cheers,Rich

#33 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

And don't worry about carbonic acid bite - that's an old wives' tale.

What? That's total BS. I'm disagreeing 100%. I'm sure you are BS'in all the way. Ooooops, I shouldn't of bit. :blink:Edit: Don't shake nothing, even if you want to. Carb cold and you will be dissapointed.

#34 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

Carb cold and you will be dissapointed.

:blink: I always carb cold.

#35 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64255 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:47 AM

:blink: I always carb cold.

I think that was a typo.

#36 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:56 AM

I think that was a typo.

From blktre? No way! :blink:

#37 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

Posted Image I always carb cold.

Must have been a fun LBG meeting last night Posted Image

#38 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

I think that was a typo.

Yes it was, Mtn. is just a little psychotic when it comes to proper English. A little to goodie two shoes!

#39 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:34 AM

Yes it was, Mtn. is just a little psychotic when it comes to proper English. A little to goodie two shoes!

Incorrect as usual. I don't pretend to know what's in your head. I only know what you say. If you can't make the latter resemble the former, then that seems like your problem, not mine.

#40 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:21 AM

BTW: I set the pressure to 25 and left it overnight. That worked fine. Most of the beer disappeared at the tournament. I had about 3 gallons left over that I took over to my friends house and it was killed over there. Even though the beer was not up to my standards, everyone liked it. My friends want me to make it again even though I told them it was a mistake. Neither I nor my friends could detect any kind of bite from carbonic acid. One thing happened that really ticked me off. Someone that worked for the golf course moved the garbage can that I had the beer in with the regulator and CO2 bungeed to the side. They didnt think to take off the bungee and move the gas separate, so my gas/reg got dropped and now the gas pressure gauge is busted. A new one is only 7 bucks, but come on, don't be a moran and don't touch my shit dammit! What if they had killed my whole reg? Makes me stabby.Question: If this were normal circumstances and I just wanted my beers on tap, what pressure would I want to leave the keg at to have ready served beer? Do you leave the gas on all the time? And, if so, won't more CO2 dissolve even at low pressure making the beer over carbed?Cheers,Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users