#21 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:31 PM

Any of you Denver guys on this? https://frhy.net/Leaderboard.htmSomeone on here directed me to it.

Yeah, thanks a lot for reminding me. I'm last. :)

#22 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

Yeah, thanks a lot for reminding me. I'm last. :)

Last is better than not being on the list.

#23 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

Entry totals for this year:East = 646Great Lakes = 654Midwest = 750Northeast = 750Northwest = 716Old West = 748South = 672Southwest = 598West = 614My region was 2 beers away from being capped! I better enter earlier next year.

#24 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:04 PM

That is 6148 entries. That's a lot of competition!

#25 jasonrobertcohen

jasonrobertcohen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:27 AM

Yeah, I was one of the many who got locked out of the competition because of the 750 entry limit. I'm not sure I quite understand the rationale for this limit. Supposedly, it was made to keep the integrity of the competition, but how does this work exactly? If someone is going to enter far too many beers, how does the limit stop them from still doing this early in the registration period? What integrity is maintained?My strategy in waiting until the last week to register came down to A. making fresh beer, and B. wanting to ensure that what I was entering was worthy of competition. I had timed 5 batches to be ready for this last week (some are incredible) and now because I was trying to take a prudent approach to entering, I'm out. Just like that. Not that I'm making such a bold claim but if one of my crafted beers is world-class, the NHC won't evaluate it. Is that integrity?Sorry, I'm just not happy about this. Someone on the AHA forum mentioned the disproportionate population counts in construction of the regions (I believe some 20% of the US is in the NE region, let alone the obvious US brewing heritage.). Grrr.jrc

#26 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, I was one of the many who got locked out of the competition because of the 750 entry limit. I'm not sure I quite understand the rationale for this limit. Supposedly, it was made to keep the integrity of the competition, but how does this work exactly? If someone is going to enter far too many beers, how does the limit stop them from still doing this early in the registration period? What integrity is maintained?My strategy in waiting until the last week to register came down to A. making fresh beer, and B. wanting to ensure that what I was entering was worthy of competition. I had timed 5 batches to be ready for this last week (some are incredible) and now because I was trying to take a prudent approach to entering, I'm out. Just like that. Not that I'm making such a bold claim but if one of my crafted beers is world-class, the NHC won't evaluate it. Is that integrity?Sorry, I'm just not happy about this. Someone on the AHA forum mentioned the disproportionate population counts in construction of the regions (I believe some 20% of the US is in the NE region, let alone the obvious US brewing heritage.). Grrr.jrc

My interpretation of their reason for the limit was that fewer entries would ensure more consistent and accurate judging. I don't think they were concerned with one guy entering many beers.One of the recent emails on the AHA list had a guy saying that he adjusts the regions to get similar #'s from each. It's probably pretty hard to predict how many entries you'll get from a geographic area. I'm guessing they'll make minor adjustments each year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users