#21 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:35 AM

I hear the argument for efficiency of newer freezers very frequently. Just to put this into context, I have actually done a direct comparison of efficiencies for two extremely similar chest freezers from two completely different points in time. Here are my experiences, having measured them for a few days each over the last year with a Kill-a-Watt:A) 20 year old chest freezer, 15 cu ft. Cools to around -25C. Burns through about 0.8 kWhr/day in a steady state (starting measurement cold, empty).:) 5 year old chest freezer, 15 cu ft. Cools to around -25C. Burns through 1.0 kWhr/day in a steady state (same conditions as above).jrc

I was using my Kill-a-watt tester this past winter too, found out that when loaded full of hops and Venison my Older fridge (i have no idea how old really)is just a little more costlier than my newer one.My older one was "free" so i am not complaining one little bit.So i concur with your data also. :smilielol:

Edited by Kegdude, 25 March 2010 - 08:36 AM.

#22 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

I'mma call BS on your appliance people. The compressor doesn't know what temperature it is. All it knows is when it's told to turn on and turn off. The only difference between running with a controller and without one is that the time between turn-ons is longer with a controller.

Don't kill the messenger. Fwiw, when i was researching chill units there were different compressors made for different temps. So, im still on the appliance peoples bandwagon.

#23 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25622 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

* * * zymot talking out aloud * * *If I assume there has been no major changes in compressor technology in the last 1/4 century (maybe a step back with a change in chillant spec?) the other major player in efficiency is going to insulation. How much of your energy consumed goes to chill the garage?If you take compressor wear and tear out of the equalization, basic physics says that it does not make any difference if you pump coolness into the freezer in many short intervals or fewer but longer intervals.Bottom line, you need to remove X number of calories from the chamber in a given period of time, all other factors staying the same. * * * zymot back to "normal" * * *So insulation level is the key?zymot

#24 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

My Website Video Section here is a good link to building Kegerator/fermentation chamber I built one like this with the wooden ring and the added height is nice to have was planning on using it for my kegs but got a used fridge for $50

#25 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

Don't kill the messenger. Fwiw, when i was researching chill units there were different compressors made for different temps. So, im still on the appliance peoples bandwagon.

I specifically said that I'm calling BS on your appliance guys not you. Certainly there are different compressors that can achieve different temperatures. That doesn't mean that the compressor has any idea what the temperature is in the cooling compartment though.

#26 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

Some of those controllers do not have an anti-short cycle feature. In the Love you can dial in the min off time. This allows compressor to pump down and removes high start pressure. High start pressure is what kills compressors.You can also set the turn on/ turn off differential. I have mine set at 2°F. I also have the sensor taped to a keg with an piece of insulating foam over it. Just hanging the sensor in the air causes rapid cycling. Another cause of compressor failure.

#27 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

Some of those controllers do not have an anti-short cycle feature. In the Love you can dial in the min off time.

Shouldn't matter. The compressor runs less with a controller than it does without one anyway.

#28 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

Still contemplating my options. I'm going to take a couple of lids with me to see how they fit on the inside this weekend. I also called my LHBS and he's getting some Ranco Digital Controlers in. Told him to put me down for one.

#29 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14178 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:23 AM

Still contemplating my options. I'm going to take a couple of lids with me to see how they fit on the inside this weekend. I also called my LHBS and he's getting some Ranco Digital Controlers in. Told him to put me down for one.

Besides a bucket lid or two, take some cardboard and cut out several (4-6) circles the size of a keg. That way you can be sure you can fit whatever you want. For the record, I got a kenmore (the only freezer Sears carries in black) and it will fit two buckets on the floor for fermentation. I also built a collar so I can put 4 cornies on the floor and 2 more on the compressor hump. Nice freezer, and I run it with the digitial controller, so you can set an anti short cycle delay time. :sarcasm:

#30 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:37 AM

Besides a bucket lid or two, take some cardboard and cut out several (4-6) circles the size of a keg. That way you can be sure you can fit whatever you want. For the record, I got a kenmore (the only freezer Sears carries in black) and it will fit two buckets on the floor for fermentation. I also built a collar so I can put 4 cornies on the floor and 2 more on the compressor hump. Nice freezer, and I run it with the digitial controller, so you can set an anti short cycle delay time. :sarcasm:

Was that the 8.8 cubic freezer?

#31 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14178 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

Was that the 8.8 cubic freezer?

I am 99% sure that is the one. I got it on sale and had an additional 20% off coupon, so it was pretty cheap when I got it. Had it for over 2 years now and has served me very well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users