#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:23 AM

We just got word on our bonuses this year and its time to invest in a chest freezer. I don't want anything outrageous. I just want one that will comfortably fit two plastic bucket fermenters. Any suggestions on brands and models?

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

I'm no help on size, model and all that. But my advice is to not buy a new one. Keep your eye on CL and the Want-ads and you'll find a good used one on the cheap.

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16527 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

Id also think about getting one a tad bigger than you stated. That way you could say serve out if it and still have enough space to lager or cold condition. Options my friend.

#4 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

I'm no help on size, model and all that. But my advice is to not buy a new one. Keep your eye on CL and the Want-ads and you'll find a good used one on the cheap.

This for sure, I have two chest freezers that I didn't pay a dime for. My thoughts are by a good used one and spend the rest of the bonus on ingredients.

Id also think about getting one a tad bigger than you stated. That way you could say serve out if it and still have enough space to lager or cold condition. Options my friend.

This as well, it's no problem to have a little extra space in the chamber, but, if you have a couple of batches going and you would like to brew again but you have no space it's a hassle. Bigger is better.Posted Image Beach

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:15 AM

The most I have fermenting at any one time, and it is rare that I do, is 10 gallons. SWMBO does not drink beer, nor will she ever (her choice, not mine). I also do not anticpate ever putting a tap in it. I already have a two tap tower keggerator inside the house. It is from there that I will do my serving. I understand the CL thing... but there are certain things that I prefer "new" in case something goes wrong. I don't want someone else's problem. Believe me, based on the bonus, $$ is not a huge obstacle here. I don't think I could justify buying a single tier brew sculpture from B3, but the "play money" that I am taking is more than enough to pick up a new Chest Freezer and controller.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

It's your money so you do what you want to with it. I'll just say this. I have 2 fridges and a chest freezer that I paid a grand total of $125 for about 7 years ago and they're all still working fine. They look like hell but I don't care about that as long as they keep stuff cool. Personally, I'd have a much easier time justifying buying a new brew sculpture than a new freezer.

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

It's your money so you do what you want to with it. I'll just say this. I have 2 fridges and a chest freezer that I paid a grand total of $125 for about 7 years ago and they're all still working fine. They look like hell but I don't care about that as long as they keep stuff cool. Personally, I'd have a much easier time justifying buying a new brew sculpture than a new freezer.

I know, I know... I'm relatively happy with my equipment as it is right now. Do you use carboys or plastic buckets? An what are the capacities of your freezers?

#8 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

I have a 9 cu/ft Frigidaire that I got from Lowes new that I use. They have them on sale now for $259.00. Would prefer to buy a new one. More energy efficient than an older model you may get on CL. The 9 cu/ft will give you plenty of ferment room, & room to store/cold condition beers such as RIS, Wee Heavy's, etc. Trust me, you will use the room.

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

Do you use carboys or plastic buckets? An what are the capacities of your freezers?

Mostly carboys but I have one bucket that I primarily use for mead. I have no idea what the capacity of my freezer is. It's about 5' x 3'. I use it for lagering and carbonating and I can put maybe 6 or 7 cornies in it.

#10 jasonrobertcohen

jasonrobertcohen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

I hear the argument for efficiency of newer freezers very frequently. Just to put this into context, I have actually done a direct comparison of efficiencies for two extremely similar chest freezers from two completely different points in time. Here are my experiences, having measured them for a few days each over the last year with a Kill-a-Watt:A) 20 year old chest freezer, 15 cu ft. Cools to around -25C. Burns through about 0.8 kWhr/day in a steady state (starting measurement cold, empty).:smilielol: 5 year old chest freezer, 15 cu ft. Cools to around -25C. Burns through 1.0 kWhr/day in a steady state (same conditions as above).Note that in my case, its the substantially older one that runs more efficiently. Your mileage may vary, but I would take an argument against a freezer's power consumption based on its age (if countable on your fingers and toes) with a grain of salt. I doubt there have been any significant advances in Coolant Compression and Insulation Science in the last few years.FWIW, I use one for serving and one for fermentation control. Counterintuitively, I use the newer, less efficient one for serving - but you have to keep in mind that for serving, part of the experience is what you're looking at when you're pulling the tap. The older one isn't a pretty sight.jrc

#11 awall

awall

Comptroller of Being a Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10394 posts
  • LocationRowley

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

for the record:i have a 7 cu ft freezer i got a couple years ago off CL, works great but i second the advice to get a bigger one than you think you need. With the shelf that covers the area where the compressor is, i lose a lot of usable floor space and i can't get 2 carboys in there at the same time.eta for the record :smilielol:

Edited by awall, 24 March 2010 - 11:15 AM.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

One thing to remember on chest freezers being used as fermentation controllers, is that even new ones tend to just up and die in a couple of years do to the constant cycling. This is where the used chest freezer for 1/3 of the cost of a new one really comes into it's own. just my .02

#13 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:09 AM

I have mixed feelings about buying used freezers now. Over the past 4 years or so, I've had a total of 6 chest freezers, and so far 3 have died on me - one of them just recently. I am getting to the point where I would rather buy new and have it last longer, than keep looking on craigslist for a used chest freezer. I am actually at the point where I want to wait to save money so I can build a walk-in cooler using an air conditioner and forgo multiple chest freezers all together (I have over 60 kegs filled, so even with my current number of good chest freezers, I have most of my filled kegs at room temp in the basement).

#14 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25617 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:45 AM

If you brew ales a freezer will be either a fermentation space or keg serving space only. I brew ales (about 60 deg F) and bottle. For lagers it might be different - do not know. You might make a combination fermentaion or keg serving and lager space.I use a chest freezer that has enough space for 1 bucket or one carboy or 3 corny kegs. This freezer has a compressor hump and seems to waste some of the footprint. You cannot put a bucket with an airlock on the hump and close the lid. I make use of the hump space with a bucket with a hole drilled on the side and barb bulkhead that feeds a blow-off tube. This way I can get 1 bucket + 1 bucket or 1 bucket + 1 carboy or 1 bucket + 3 corny kegs. The corny kegs are for secondary only.A second choice to consider, make a collar for the lid. This will add enough vertical height to allow placing a bucket on the hump and use a conventional airlock.Craigslist, garage sales and moving sales are a great place to pick up used chest freezers. Stores might have scratch and dent sales, open boxes, returns, etc. Always ask a salesman.zymot

#15 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25617 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:53 AM

I have over 60 kegs filled,

:) :smilielol: :cheers: :cheers: Yikes! Next time I'm in Atlanta, Imma going to bypass Buckhead and set up a cot in your basement.You sound like a candidate for building out a space and installing an appropriate sized air conditioner. Use plenty of insulation.zymot

#16 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16527 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:32 AM

I am actually at the point where I want to wait to save money so I can build a walk-in cooler using an air conditioner and forgo multiple chest freezers all together (I have over 60 kegs filled, so even with my current number of good chest freezers, I have most of my filled kegs at room temp in the basement).

I built a walkin just for this reason. Its been going strong for 4yrs or so now with zero problems. Cheap to run as well. Costs me a few bucks per month. I dunno about keeping full kegs at room temp. for a few reasons. One the beer conditions faster and that would suck if you cant turn them over in a reasonable amount of time, secondly lacto loves that temp. You can be as picky, clean, and sanitized as you can be, but eventually everybody will have a lacto problem at some point in their brewing career. Keep things below 50* and eliminate a chance.

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:06 AM

I had an Old, old chest freezer that insulated with fiberglass batting.That sucked major juice.The 'newer' ones that changed over to foam insulation are better.Then they dumped freon and changed over to 'eco friendly' refrigerants.Except the new refrigerant is not as efficient as freon. Hence energy consumed goes up.Freezer wall thickness also went up by about 50% around then.Now here enters the DuPont patent conspiracy. Was this just a push to move the industry to a new patentable refrigerant and make more $$$ for DuPont? They are after all, Greenpeace's biggest sponsors.And how is that ozone hole doing? Hear much about that lately?Discussion on the last portion is over at the PH.

#18 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

One thing to remember on chest freezers being used as fermentation controllers, is that even new ones tend to just up and die in a couple of years do to the constant cycling. This is where the used chest freezer for 1/3 of the cost of a new one really comes into it's own. just my .02

I have to disagree here. If you put a temperature controller on a freezer, i.e., you're keeping it warmer than it would be otherwise, it's running less than it would without the controller. Adding a temp. controller to a freezer shouldn't stress it at all.

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16527 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:19 AM

I have to disagree here. If you put a temperature controller on a freezer, i.e., you're keeping it warmer than it would be otherwise, it's running less than it would without the controller. Adding a temp. controller to a freezer shouldn't stress it at all.

In theory yes. But Ive read over the years from people in the appliance industry that this is not necessarily true. If i remember correctly, it had something to do with the compressor was designed for very cold temps and using it at warmer temps stressed the compressor. I don't have any experience with this except for once when my original older upright freezer i was using to house my conical shit on me. Then again Ive read where people have gotten many years out of using them with a temp controller. But if it was me, id go for a used freezer and put the rest of my money into a rig. 2fer1 so to speak.

#20 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

In theory yes. But Ive read over the years from people in the appliance industry that this is not necessarily true. If i remember correctly, it had something to do with the compressor was designed for very cold temps and using it at warmer temps stressed the compressor. I don't have any experience with this except for once when my original older upright freezer i was using to house my conical shit on me. Then again Ive read where people have gotten many years out of using them with a temp controller. But if it was me, id go for a used freezer and put the rest of my money into a rig. 2fer1 so to speak.

I'mma call BS on your appliance people. The compressor doesn't know what temperature it is. All it knows is when it's told to turn on and turn off. The only difference between running with a controller and without one is that the time between turn-ons is longer with a controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users