#21 pete maz

pete maz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationInman, SC

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

...I ended up with 4 gallons at 1.050OG, so I added one gallon of water to make my 5 gallons, I forgot to take another gravity reading, how much could it have dropped from 1.050 after adding the 1 gallon of water?

Nick, according to Promash you should be around 1.040.

#22 northbound

northbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBellaire, MI

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:37 AM

sap is running, brewed a second maple sap brown ale, pitched to the yeast cake from last week's brew, had high krausen in three hours. :facepalm:

#23 hoppybrewer

hoppybrewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

woke up this morning and thought its a perfect day to brew swmbo a blonde,sparging as i type. :facepalm: :facepalm:

#24 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

thanks pete maz for the info. I made a new thread that has the recipe I used.

#25 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

Brewed fifteen gallons of various strength smoked dark wheat. 10 of Rauch Dunkle Weizen Bock, 5 2nd runnings dark wheat.

#26 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

I haven't brewed for about a month, but I bottled a batch of some really nice porter today. I think I may actually have a job soon and kegging is at the top of the list. Beach

#27 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19212 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

Brewed a Delirium Tremens clone that my wife had been asking me to re-create.I went to three different grocery stores looking for Lyle's Golden Syrup before discovering that they had changed their packaging, it comes in a plastic bottle instead of a metal tin now.Other than that, the brew day went fairly well, just the usual problems. The Belgian 2-Row clogged the feeder on my grain mill, I overshot my temperature rest by 5 degrees and had to add a quart of cold water, and the sparge stuck briefly. On the plus side, I got 80% efficiency and added more water to the boil to account for that, and ended up with 6 gallons of 1.084 wort instead of 5.5 gallons of 1.084.The only real issue I have is that I can't find any of my S-shaped airlocks, but that's OK because with 6 gallons of 1.084 in a 6.5 gallon carboy, I'm using a blowoff tube instead of an airlock. I also have two of my older three-part airlocks, just not any of the S-shaped ones that I prefer.

#28 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:31 AM

Well, I was going to brew a Falcon's White Chocolate Wheat Lager for summer.But I slipped and fell in my yard fracturing my ankle.No brewing for 6 weeks.And since I'm not the most stable on crutches, I'll probably not be drinking any either. :cheers:

#29 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:33 AM

10 gallons of barleywine went into the fermenter friday.

#30 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

Brewed a Delirium Tremens clone that my wife had been asking me to re-create.

Dave, could you post the recipe you used or PM it to me? Curious to see everything you put in there.

#31 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19212 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

Dave, could you post the recipe you used or PM it to me? Curious to see everything you put in there.

I used the recipe from Beer Captured:11.75 lbs of Belgian 2-Row7 ounces of Munich5 ounces of Biscuit3 ounces of Aromatic1 pound Lyle's Golden syrup1.5 pounds clear candi sugar1.5 oz. Styrian Goldings for bittering.25 oz Styrian Goldings for flavor.25 oz. Saaz for flavor.25 oz Saaz for aroma.25 tsp grains of paradise added with aroma hopsmash at 149 for 60 minAdd the sugars for the whole boilPitch a starter of Wyeast 1388 Strong Golden AleI made this once before with Wyeast 1214, so it will be interesting to see the difference with 1388.

#32 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

I used the recipe from Beer Captured:11.75 lbs of Belgian 2-Row7 ounces of Munich5 ounces of Biscuit3 ounces of Aromatic1 pound Lyle's Golden syrup1.5 pounds clear candi sugar1.5 oz. Styrian Goldings for bittering.25 oz Styrian Goldings for flavor.25 oz. Saaz for flavor.25 oz Saaz for aroma.25 tsp grains of paradise added with aroma hopsmash at 149 for 60 minAdd the sugars for the whole boilPitch a starter of Wyeast 1388 Strong Golden AleI made this once before with Wyeast 1214, so it will be interesting to see the difference with 1388.

Cool thanks. What temp do you plan on fermenting at, and are you ramping up at all?

#33 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19212 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

Cool thanks. What temp do you plan on fermenting at, and are you ramping up at all?

I intended to ferment at 70. I also used a relatively small starter for a 1.084 beer, just two pints of 1.040 wort. Both the temperature and the size of the starter are intended to get a little more flavor from the yeast, although these would be mistakes if I intended to make a cleaner beer.I say I "intended to ferment at 70" because I haven't brewed for a while, and I forgot about the sensor drift in my homemade fermentation chamber. When I checked this morning, the chamber read 70 degrees, but the water bath that the carboy sits in was only at 68.4 degrees. I turned the chamber up to 72, because I've had some bad experiences with Belgian yeasts stalling out when they get too cold.Edit to add: I'm not planning on a full "ramp up" like they talk about in Brew Like a Monk, just a constant fermentation temperature.

Edited by davelew, 23 March 2010 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users