#21 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29327 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

I doubt it's the rice because I've had beers do that without any rice at all. And I doubt it's the glassware because when I have one like that, another beer in the same glass doesn't exhibit it. But as to why it happens, I just don't know....

+1 I had an APA do this. None of my other beers did this. At they time I thought it had to be something in the keg I assumed residual cleaner.

#22 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

I doubt it's the rice because I've had beers do that without any rice at all. And I doubt it's the glassware because when I have one like that, another beer in the same glass doesn't exhibit it. But as to why it happens, I just don't know....

could be that the same effect is produced by many different agents though, I mean it could very well be the instant rice and you have experienced something similar either by accidentally or unknowingly introducing a surfactant of some kind to a batch....the fact that this recipe has done this twice and that minute rice is the only stand out makes me inclined to believe that the minute rice is the culprit in this case though as I said there are probably many compounds that will cause a similar clotting of beer head.George, why not try making it with brewer's flaked rice next time instead and see if it solves the problem? Seems like the most logical first step toward conclusive resolution to this question.:P

#23 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

could be that the same effect is produced by many different agents though, I mean it could very well be the instant rice and you have experienced something similar either by accidentally or unknowingly introducing a surfactant of some kind to a batch....the fact that this recipe has done this twice and that minute rice is the only stand out makes me inclined to believe that the minute rice is the culprit in this case though as I said there are probably many compounds that will cause a similar clotting of beer head.George, why not try making it with brewer's flaked rice next time instead and see if it solves the problem? Seems like the most logical first step toward conclusive resolution to this question.:cheers:

Not a bad idea. I'll try that next time, although I only really brew this once a year as a challenge. It's easier just to buy American Standard than to brew it. :P

#24 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

Why this board rocks..... :smilielol:

#25 Lonnie Mac

Lonnie Mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBacliff, TX

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

I am in full agreement with the denny...I have had that happen on rare occasions in various recipes. Actually, I would like to get to the bottom of this also as I am drinking a great tasting Wee as we speak that is doing the exact same thing.

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

I am in full agreement with the denny...I have had that happen on rare occasions in various recipes. Actually, I would like to get to the bottom of this also as I am drinking a great tasting Wee as we speak that is doing the exact same thing.

Does the Wee, or any of your trouble beers, have anything in common with the beers that George or others have had this happen with?I don't remember having this trouble with any of my own beers, but I have had other head retention difficulties, but have kinda shrugged them off and attributed them to using picnic taps.

#27 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

I can remember the head on a beer I was drinking behave similarly when I was eating barbeque and had a greasy mouth. I think the oils transfered from my lips to the beer when I was sipping, and then broke the suds up into clumps when the oil settled on the surface of the beer. I've also heard of a woman's lipstick killing a beer's head.

#28 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

I can remember the head on a beer I was drinking behave similarly when I was eating barbeque and had a greasy mouth. I think the oils transfered from my lips to the beer when I was sipping, and then broke the suds up into clumps when the oil settled on the surface of the beer. I've also heard of a woman's lipstick killing a beer's head.

so are you thinking Lonnie and George are wearing lipstick :wacko: just kidding.

#29 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:19 PM

so are you thinking Lonnie and George are wearing lipstick :wacko: just kidding.

Ha! I'd never suggest such a thing. But I think I'll hold onto that one to use a drinking buddy of mine who loves to question everyone's masculinity after he has drunk a couple of beers.

#30 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

I poured one tonight and didn't touch(drink) any until the head fell. It still did the clumps. :wacko:

#31 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:06 PM

I poured one tonight and didn't touch(drink) any until the head fell. It still did the clumps. :wacko:

weirdjust weirdno lipstick though? :)

#32 LBG Bill

LBG Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:23 AM

I too have had random beers do this as well. I always contributed it to something with my process and not any specific ingredient. Though I must admit I've never personally had it happen to a darker beer like porter or stout, only in my pales/bitters, neither of which have any rice. Actually, I've never brewed with rice, so that cannot be the cause in my case.Any pro brewers have any input on this? On the clumping, not the lipstick :wacko:

#33 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:16 AM

I don't have a theory, just more data points. I've had this happened to wheat beers mashed in the low 140s. I always attributed it to the mash temperature. At what temp did you mash the am pilsner?mike

My standard American Pilsner has a problem. It makes a big head, but it falls relatively quickly into clots. Take a look at the pic.[attachment=75:Clotted__Head.JPG]Anybody know what causes this and how to fix it?

#34 jhenjum

jhenjum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

Do you skim the foam just before the boil? I've had head retention issues when I skimmed. I no longer skim and noticed better head retention.

#35 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

I don't have a theory, just more data points. I've had this happened to wheat beers mashed in the low 140s. I always attributed it to the mash temperature. At what temp did you mash the am pilsner?mike

Ah, interesting point. This was mashed in at 145F for 30min, then ramped up to 155F with the HERMS, held for 30, then up to 168F.I do this mostly for max fermentability, but that time in the 140'swill be active in the protein range. Hmmm

#36 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

could be that the same effect is produced by many different agents though, I mean it could very well be the instant rice and you have experienced something similar either by accidentally or unknowingly introducing a surfactant of some kind to a batch....the fact that this recipe has done this twice and that minute rice is the only stand out makes me inclined to believe that the minute rice is the culprit in this case though as I said there are probably many compounds that will cause a similar clotting of beer head.George, why not try making it with brewer's flaked rice next time instead and see if it solves the problem? Seems like the most logical first step toward conclusive resolution to this question.:)

I've used Minute Rice a lot and never had it do that.

#37 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

How frothy is the head immediately after it's poured? Real thick & creamy or kinda airy & weak?

#38 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

When mine do that, they always start with a huge, creamy head.

#39 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

When mine do that, they always start with a huge, creamy head.

Yep. This.

#40 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

George, you could conduct an experiment to test the minute rice. Maybe put a handful of the same brand rice in a bowl with a couple handfuls of milled 2-row and micro-mash it for a little bit around 150. Pour some other beer that doesn't have the clotting. Take a small spoonful of the "wort" from the experiment and drop it onto the surface, maybe even use a medicine dropper and see what happens. If something is coming off the minute rice in the mash this would be a way to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users