#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

My standard American Pilsner has a problem. It makes a big head, but it falls relatively quickly into clots. Take a look at the pic.[attachment=75:Clotted__Head.JPG]Anybody know what causes this and how to fix it?

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

My standard American Pilsner has a problem. It makes a big head, but it falls relatively quickly into clots. Take a look at the pic.[attachment=75:Clotted__Head.JPG]Anybody know what causes this and how to fix it?

stumpedperhaps a glassware issue but from you George I doubt it

#3 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

This is just a guess, George, and you've probably already thought of it. Either some sort of oily substance in contact with the beer, or some sort of dishwasher rinse agent on the glass?

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

This is just a guess, George, and you've probably already thought of it. Either some sort of oily substance in contact with the beer, or some sort of dishwasher rinse agent on the glass?

We don't use rinse agent because we have soft water.Last year's AmPils did the same thing, even in new Solo cups.I think it's something in the recipe, because it has repeated. Here's the recipe:01-25-2009 Swiller II (Rice)A ProMash Brewing Session Report--------------------------------Brewing Date: Sunday January 25, 2009Head Brewer: George SchmidtAsst Brewer: Recipe: Swiller II (Rice)Recipe Specifics----------------Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00Total Grain (Lbs): 9.75Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.38Anticipated SRM: 3.1Anticipated IBU: 14.5Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %Wort Boil Time: 60 MinutesActual OG: 1.049 Plato: 12.12Actual FG: 1.007 Plato: 1.85Alc by Weight: 4.30 by Volume: 5.48 From Measured Gravities.ADF: 84.7 RDF 70.1 Apparent & Real Degree of Fermentation.Actual Mash System Efficiency: 85 %Anticipated Points From Mash: 45.75Actual Points From Mash: 51.65Grain/Extract/Sugar % Amount Name Origin Potential SRM----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 82.1 8.00 lbs. House Pale (2-row) America 1.037 2 17.9 1.75 lbs. Instant Rice 1.040 1Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.Hops Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.00 oz. Liberty Whole 4.40 14.5 60 min.Yeast-----DCL Yeast S-189 SafLager German Lager

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

could it be the minute rice? I noticed on the box it has niacin in it, which IIRC is used as an emulsifier.

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

Good point on the minute rice.All my brews in that size have 1/4 lb torrified wheat in them for head retention.Works like a charm.

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Any articles or such on niacin as an emulsifier? Google just returns thousands of ingredient lists. :P

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

Probably just the rice. You could fiddle with mash temps/steps to promote head retention. And I'm no expert on that, since it's usually not an issue at my place. I've not had much luck with a long creamy head whenever I've used rice. But that's a single infusion usually around 152df.Smaller glass, drink faster.

#9 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:47 PM

Probably just the rice. You could fiddle with mash temps/steps to promote head retention. And I'm no expert on that, since it's usually not an issue at my place. I've not had much luck with a long creamy head whenever I've used rice. But that's a single infusion usually around 152df.Smaller glass, drink faster.

Instant Rice would be my first guess too. Maybe try the same recipe with some long grain white rice.Keep the Pint glass, just drink faster.

#10 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:47 PM

Looks to me like it is some chemical breaking the surface tension. Something oily. Could be from the rice, if that's the only unique thing in these brews where you see this.

#11 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

could it be the minute rice? I noticed on the box it has niacin in it, which IIRC is used as an emulsifier.

Irish Moss is also an emulsifier though, and we use that all the time without clotting issues. Might it be one of the other additives in the rice?

#12 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

Who knows what chemicals they spray on the minute rice during the polishing process to keep it from sticking together when cooked. I am always surprised when people ask why rice in sushi sticks together. Rice is supposed to stick together it's a starch for crying out loud! Why minute rice doesn't stick is a mystery to me, but there's a chemist somewhere with a good answer.

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

Any articles or such on niacin as an emulsifier? Google just returns thousands of ingredient lists. :P

my bad George I was thinking of lecithin, sorry.my money is on something in the manufacturing process of the minute rice though. I doubt it's the yeast I used 189 on the beer i am drinking now, no clotting.

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

Who knows what chemicals they spray on the minute rice during the polishing process to keep it from sticking together when cooked. I am always surprised when people ask why rice in sushi sticks together. Rice is supposed to stick together it's a starch for crying out loud! Why minute rice doesn't stick is a mystery to me, but there's a chemist somewhere with a good answer.

some info here on quick cooking rice

#15 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

some info here on quick cooking rice

"Chemical treatments with sodium chloride, disodium phosphate, or food-grade surfactant reduce clumping."Hhmmm, sounds like like it might effect head retention.

#16 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

I think you probably hit on something there... if the Minute Rice is being processed/treated to not stick together (however they do that), then couldn't that cause the separation of the head?I know Minute Rice is easier to deal with, but George, maybe you should try (as a "science experiment") a natural white rice... and one that is known to clump together.

#17 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:23 AM

I think you probably hit on something there... if the Minute Rice is being processed/treated to not stick together (however they do that), then couldn't that cause the separation of the head?I know Minute Rice is easier to deal with, but George, maybe you should try (as a "science experiment") a natural white rice... and one that is known to clump together.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that Jimmy hit on something there. As provided in Mike's link above, during processing they spray instant rice with surfactants. "sur⋅face-ac⋅tive a⋅gent   /ˈsɜrfɪsˌæktɪv/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sur-fis-ak-tiv] Show IPA –noun Chemistry. any substance that when dissolved in water or an aqueous solution reduces its surface tension or the interfacial tension between it and another liquid. "Surface tension is the key.

#18 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

Yes, I'm pretty sure that Jimmy hit on something there. As provided in Mike's link above, during processing they spray instant rice with surfactants. "sur⋅face-ac⋅tive a⋅gent   /ˈsɜrfɪsˌæktɪv/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sur-fis-ak-tiv] Show IPA –noun Chemistry. any substance that when dissolved in water or an aqueous solution reduces its surface tension or the interfacial tension between it and another liquid. "Surface tension is the key.

Ah yes, the science behind my wild idea that excessive food manufacturing is, in fact, a bad thing.

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

I doubt it's the rice because I've had beers do that without any rice at all. And I doubt it's the glassware because when I have one like that, another beer in the same glass doesn't exhibit it. But as to why it happens, I just don't know....

#20 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

Brew the recipe again and used flaked brewing rice and see if it does the same thing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users