Photo
- - - - -

Why isn't Eisbock beer?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Why isn't Eisbock beer? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Eisbeer (Eisbock) beer?

1. Yes (26 votes [83.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.87%

2. No (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

3. Pants on da groun', pants on da groun', lookin' like a foo' wit yo' pants on da groun' (2 votes [6.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

I'm going to say an eisbock remains a beer thru the "eising" process. Like Denny said it's just a concetration, distilling to me involves a still.

#42 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

So distillation is just concentration, like..., um, freeze distilling? What exactly are we calling this? But as far as I can tell all definitions of plain old "distillation" are a method of concentration that involves turning a liquid into vapor and then condensing it. While eising (maybe that's what I'll use) is a method of concentration that involves turning a liquid into a solid. From my point of view, both distillation and eising can be done to a beer and you still have beer. You use eising to increase the final alcohol content, and you use distillation (sort of) to decrease the alcohol content (you take advantage of the differing vapor pressures and you can "boil" off the alcohol and create alkoholfrei bier). Both processes impact flavor, not just ABV.There comes a point, though I love to brew "to style", that I stop trying to categorize everything and just grab another pint. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users