#21 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26190 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

Going to do a midnight brew session tonight. Finally getting around to doing a variation of Ken's MLPA. Grainbill will be as written, but hops will be FWH blend of Cent, Columbus, & Willamette.

#22 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:30 AM

I bottled a batch of 90/ yesterday and mashing in a porter in about an hour and a half.Beach

#23 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:31 AM

No brewing for me this weekend. In laws were in town since Tues and my wife and I went skiing for few days as well. In laws left today and I am currently transferring my Impy IPA to secondary. Chilling my Belg IPA in the freezer till Mon/Tues after dry hopping for the last week and a half and then transfer to keg, carbonate and that will be served along with a Bo Pils I brewed back in Nov at a local homebrewer festival on March 6th. I have brewed 6 beers since January 1, 2010. Dry Stout and an Imperial Stout to follow. Planning to put the Impy Stout in the swap for some feedback. Hope all the brewing went well for everyone.Cheers.

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

Strike water is heating up - grains are milled. Everything is all measured out - LET'S DO THIS!

#25 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:58 AM

Porter it is. The the only crystal my LHBS had as Cara8 or C145-160 so I went with the extra dark. Never used it before so I'm interested on how this will come out.

#26 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

Porter it is. The the only crystal my LHBS had as Cara8 or C145-160 so I went with the extra dark. Never used it before so I'm interested on how this will come out.

Pretty much the same as special B, you will get dark fruits,fig/raisin, and some grapenut flavors. Use with restraint, a little of that goes a loooong way. Especially in a porter.

#27 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

Pretty much the same as special B, you will get dark fruits,fig/raisin, and some grapenut flavors. Use with restraint, a little of that goes a loooong way. Especially in a porter.

Went with a half pound.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

Just filtered my water for an early brew session on Monday morning... Home Run Red Ale with Mt. Hood and 1056. Hey-O!

#29 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

I got done brewing a little bit ago with my 1968 english pale ale. I hit my numbers dead on, 1.048. Gotta love it!

#30 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

I racked my porter on top of a yeast cake 4 hours ago and it just started bubbling!!! Yeah Ninja Yeast!!!

#31 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:24 AM

doh - no airlock activity this morning so I took the fermenter out of the 46F water bath and swirled it a little. I can't remember - are lager yeast usually a little slower to get cranking?

#32 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:51 AM

doh - no airlock activity this morning so I took the fermenter out of the 46F water bath and swirled it a little. I can't remember - are lager yeast usually a little slower to get cranking?

Yes they can be slower. I would not worry about it unless you didn't see any activity till Tues 2/23/10 night. Yeast pitch is important but lager yeast can take longer to get started. Remember its colder, things move slower the closer to freezing you get. I am sure you will see activity today or soon though too.

#33 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:55 AM

Yes they can be slower. I would not worry about it unless you didn't see any activity till Tues 2/23/10 night. Yeast pitch is important but lager yeast can take longer to get started. Remember its colder, things move slower the closer to freezing you get. I am sure you will see activity today or soon though too.

I def did everything right with regards to yeast. I made a 4.5L starter and pitched plenty of yeast. I also pumped in about 3L of pure oxygen (BOOM!).

#34 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

I def did everything right with regards to yeast. I made a 4.5L starter and pitched plenty of yeast. I also pumped in about 3L of pure oxygen (BOOM!).

Something tells me that one's going to take off just fine.Beach

#35 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

Didn't brew this past weekend, but I drank plenty of DJ in KC's amazing Steam Beer and incredible Baltic Porter. It doesn't look like we'll be brewing at MBC this weekend, either, but it is not out of the question.This week, however: finished off some Raspberry Hefe and brewed some Pale Ale today, more Pale and Kolsch tomorrow, Hefe on Wednesday and Export IPA on Thursday.

#36 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:54 AM

Something tells me that one's going to take off just fine.Beach

yeah - I took it out of the water bath yesterday morning and last night it was going fairly strong so I returned it to the water batch (47F). Still going this morning although slightly slower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users