#22 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:13 AM

This may be a good technique for that Chile Scotch Ale you've been considering for a few years now...

#23 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28529 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

I was just wondering about steinbier again and pulled up a quick search to find this thread before posting one up. I think it would be entertaining to do and was planning to do one but got really side tracked on the house last year. I'd like to revive this for some weekend this year.I was thinking I'd see how well stuff worked on just rocks but have my keggle sitting on my burner and go ahead and use that if needed. Main focus would be getting some carmalization aspect and saving a couple rocks to toss in the fermentor (figure they could be stored in the freezer till used).For doing this I was thinking a quick tripod frame over the keggle with a pulled to do the dipping would be the way to go. For the heat I was thinking either a grate laid on a bed of coals of perhaps get some SS wire to wrap around the rocks so they can be picked up by it.I like fire and beer...

#24 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

I was just wondering about steinbier again and pulled up a quick search to find this thread before posting one up. I think it would be entertaining to do and was planning to do one but got really side tracked on the house last year. I'd like to revive this for some weekend this year.I was thinking I'd see how well stuff worked on just rocks but have my keggle sitting on my burner and go ahead and use that if needed. Main focus would be getting some carmalization aspect and saving a couple rocks to toss in the fermentor (figure they could be stored in the freezer till used).For doing this I was thinking a quick tripod frame over the keggle with a pulled to do the dipping would be the way to go. For the heat I was thinking either a grate laid on a bed of coals of perhaps get some SS wire to wrap around the rocks so they can be picked up by it.I like fire and beer...

Yeah, playing with fire :wub: . I have a bunch of lump charcoal that will probably do the trick - that stuff burns hot. I don't plan on trying to do the whole boil or even starting it with the granite. Just want to get those superheated rocks in there to do their stuff. I've got some long tongs and nice gloves to drop them in with. My only worry is a massive boilover (basement brewery). I may use them before I start heating and at least before a boil starts (electric here). I've got a few must do brews before I'll be ready to try this.......

#25 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

Crazy old man......I Love it!!

#26 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

Crazy old man......I Love it!!

I'll get old when I decide to :wub: You'll be 55 before you know it too.So, any better ideas on heating the crap out of the granite, or are you content to be younger than me? :huh:

#27 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28529 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

Yeah, playing with fire :wub: . I have a bunch of lump charcoal that will probably do the trick - that stuff burns hot. I don't plan on trying to do the whole boil or even starting it with the granite. Just want to get those superheated rocks in there to do their stuff. I've got some long tongs and nice gloves to drop them in with. My only worry is a massive boilover (basement brewery). I may use them before I start heating and at least before a boil starts (electric here). I've got a few must do brews before I'll be ready to try this.......

I would tend to think you want a way to dip the rocks otherwise you might get to much flash boiling going on. Also I think the dipping helps build up a caramelized layer on the rock if you're wanting to toss one in the fermentor later.I normally brew in front of the garage but I'd probably more around back for this one so I could have a close fire and avoid too many odd ball looks... I'll need to grab a few bricks to make a crude fire ring so I'm in "compliance" with local laws (got yelled at when I first moved in for having a fire without a "proper fire ring", I had it on a gravel RV patch that was in the back yard, yeah gravel really lets a fire run... :huh: ). Anyways I was thinking of doing logs originally but the charcoal brings up a point to keep a hot coals going... maybe a hybrid or something, we'll see when the time comes.I also need to get a few other beers done but this one has been on my interest radar for a bit. I think this would be a good one for a nice long weekend this summer.Now to get some rocks...

#28 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

So, any better ideas on heating the crap out of the granite, or are you content to be younger than me? :wub:

A Babington Fuel Oil Burner. Swag can help build you one...Step by Step instructions...https://www.aipengin...rner_HOWTO.htmlPosted Image

#29 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

Just remembered about this youtube video I saw a while back ... shooting their brew club an email could help you with some of the specifics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users