#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

Bosco's Brewery had some beers at Schlafly's Repeal event this past weekend.This was an interesting beer that I really enjoyed. One of the first I sampled. Not really very dark at all but you could tell something different was going on. I don't think you could duplicate this with specialty grains. Gotta get some granite.......https://boscosbeer.c...lamingstone.htm

#2 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

Already have the granite lined up from a buddy that sells granite countertops etc...Should be easy to get, seems they have a lot of unusable scrap that would work well for our purposes.

#3 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

Already have the granite lined up from a buddy that sells granite countertops etc...Should be easy to get, seems they have a lot of unusable scrap that would work well for our purposes.

I spoke to a brewer about this once. He said that lava rocks would work as well and wouldn't be as much of a danger to explode while heating the rocks for a home brewer. rapid expansion of rocks in a fire a can = very dangerous shrapnel...trust me. Also, if you do this watch out for a sudden boil over when you add the rocks.

Edited by ewanzel, 20 April 2009 - 05:48 PM.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

I have no doubt it will be a bit tricky. Sounds too cool to not try. How do you think brewers were able to boil in wooden vessels way back......... Thanks for the info though.It really was a unique beer, takes a bit to get me excited sometimes, and other times not.........

#5 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

hmmm my uncle owns a granite fabrication company... i might try this.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

One of my golf buddies is dropping of some granite from their shop tomorrow. Sweet.So, how do I get this stuff heated up to 700df? I can get about 450df on my NG grill but that isn't what they do. Wood fired? I do have a chimney charcoal starter and could get another to set on top but don't know if that will really get the heat I need. Any thoughts? Have lots of mesquite which I know burns hotter than most woods will.........I think this is one of those weird deals that will be worth the extra effort. Plus, I've always liked to play with fire. ;) If you read the link they do it a couple different ways too. I would bet the one I had was the rinsed granite because I didn't really note much smokiness in that brew. Not that would be bad.

#7 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

One of my golf buddies is dropping of some granite from their shop tomorrow. Sweet.So, how do I get this stuff heated up to 700df? I can get about 450df on my NG grill but that isn't what they do. Wood fired? I do have a chimney charcoal starter and could get another to set on top but don't know if that will really get the heat I need. Any thoughts? Have lots of mesquite which I know burns hotter than most woods will.........I think this is one of those weird deals that will be worth the extra effort. Plus, I've always liked to play with fire. ;) If you read the link they do it a couple different ways too. I would bet the one I had was the rinsed granite because I didn't really note much smokiness in that brew. Not that would be bad.

I'm not sure exactly how bosco's heats up their rocks, but I think many homebrewers will heat them in a wood fire. Basically build a nice sized fire in a fire pit, what for a nice bed of coals to develop, add rocks to coals, wait for coals to heat up (get away from the fire pit to avoid rock projectiles as mentioned above), use a devise to remove rocks from the coals, brush ash off said rocks with some heat proof tool, add rocks to boil pot, watch for sudden boil overs as rocks are added to the pot. Hope that helps...I haven't done this, but know people who have. Best of luck and please be safe!

#8 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

I can see into the future....I see....DJ in KC's first boilover in the Modern Era of homebrewing...Can you snag some extra granite? I'd like to do this, too. Collaboration beer? Rye-Sticke-Stein-Altbier?

#9 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

I can see into the future....I see....DJ in KC's first boilover in the Modern Era of homebrewing...Can you snag some extra granite? I'd like to do this, too. Collaboration beer? Rye-Sticke-Stein-Altbier?

Sure, PM sent. Local should be fast and easier though.Jeez, you never take things to the next level ;) Rye-Sticke-Stein-Altbier? RyeEisenSteinSticke, why not do it and be done with it? Damn, I really like that idea.That would be.......... Uhm, illegal, sweet and Cat 23......... Nevermind, sorry, pro brewers can't do that in the good old USA.

#10 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

Graham Sanders has been working on this.Reviewing a few of his podcasts on the subject would shorten your learning curve.The problem is twofold.Moisture in the rocks causing them to explode when heated.Thermal shock causing fracturing when introduced to wort.His latest moniker translates from German into Pebble beer.

#11 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

Seems I was reading about this a few years ago and one of the brewers at Bosco's said he couldn't get any smoke flavor from it, and added crystal malts to up the caramelizing effect.I've wanted to do a real steinbier for a while, just let it be what it is, maybe make it over a beechwood fire and use 100% light Munich, Hallertau, WLP830.

#12 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

So, how do I get this stuff heated up to 700df?

Depending on the dimensions of the rock, you can probably just put it right on a propane burner if you have one.

#13 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

The granite showed up today. I'm not sure when I'll try this. Thanks for the tips, I'll be careful.

#14 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

The granite showed up today. I'm not sure when I'll try this. Thanks for the tips, I'll be careful.

When heating, wear safety glasses.

#15 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

When heating, wear safety glasses.

I'll have the works on for this one - Heavy gloves, skin protection and goggles. But thanks

#16 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:17 PM

I expect pis, if not not video, when you do this...best of luck!

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:42 AM

does this tie into the PH thread "I Like to see things blow up!"

#18 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

They do this every year at the Ellicoteville Brewing Company every year and I was just asking my fellow Mob Barley associate about it and he was saying that igneous or metamorphic rocks are the way to go for safety and to cycle them through. Start from normal wort temp, then add rocks and take them out and add more to get a boil and maintain it. Caramelization is second to none.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

More good stuff guys. I have several brews to do before this, so no hurry. But if you know me, you know it will happen. Lots of great tips still too. I haven't had a chance to catch the podcast but I will.I'm thinking a simple APA or maybe IPA would be good for a first try at this. Would let the hot rocks shine.(mental note, check foam control inventory)

#20 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

......... Mob Barley associate........

OK :smilielol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users