#21 Lonnie Mac

Lonnie Mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBacliff, TX

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

I agree that there shouldn't be many ill effects if fermentation is just about over. However, I do think this is just about the only time it might be advisable to get the beer off the yeast and into a secondary because the higher temps would tend to favor autolysis. So if you're forced to have the beer rest at those higher temps by the weather, I'd probably transfer it.I've said so much in the past about how unnecessary "secondary" fermentation is that I think it's valuable include this caveat.

I would agree with this. As an advocate of NOT needing a secondary, I went through this very recently when my main fermentation freezer died. Actually it is still dead so I haven't brewed in a month now... That beer sitting in the chamber was damn near through, but I wanted to keep it a bit longer so I transferred to secondary and put it in Pub Phun for a few weeks... (Wee Heavy)It came out fabulous! BUT I can't say that this would work great for something more delicate like a cream ale...So a while back I mentioned that I was looking for a new chamber, now I am forced to be in the market for one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users