#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

So we are going through a pretty good heat wave right now. I have a few carboys that are at the tail end of primary fermentation, actually probably pretty close to being done. If the temp got too high now would it be a big problem? Or would that really only be for when the fermentation is going crazy?

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

I am eagerly awaiting the answer too as it hit near 100 in the Central Valley yesterday.

#3 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:10 AM

I wouldnt let the carboys get super high like not too far above 80...but... after the first coupe days of fermentation u really have very very litle to worry about as far as off flavors coming from high temps.. infact, a guy in my brewclub always steps his up a few degrees or so gradually until he hits about 80 and he claims it has amazing results.

#4 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

So we are going through a pretty good heat wave right now. I have a few carboys that are at the tail end of primary fermentation, actually probably pretty close to being done. If the temp got too high now would it be a big problem? Or would that really only be for when the fermentation is going crazy?

i would not let the temp cimb any. in fact i would rather see it in the mid 60's. a tub with water and 2 liter ice bottles does the trick nicely even in high outdoor temperatures. a couple bottles in the morning and switch them out for a new set when you get home.Posted Image

Edited by brewhead, 20 April 2009 - 09:29 AM.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

The point is that if primary fermentation is just about done, you probably can't hurt the beer too much. If you left it in a 100° garage or something, maybe you could have an issue. But if the primary fermentation temps were proper for all (or most) of the primary, it's probably okay. Just like you cannot undo a problem during primary (like allowing the beer to ferment the entire time at 85°), you can't really ruin a batch once it's fermented properly (within reason). You guys with no "cellar temps" have some challenges, no question. My basement floor stays pretty cool all year long and you can feel it as soon as you go down the basement stairs... feels like a 20° temp difference. Cheers and good luck.

#6 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

Do you Californians not have A/Cs?

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:31 AM

It just seems wrong to have to turn it on in April... but we did last night and will have it on at least through today's heat spell (and see what tomorrow brings). As for Baddog... well, given he lives in the North Bay Area, I'm sure he's used to more moderate temperatures (what with being closer to the water). Let me put it this way, I live about 60 miles due east from San Fran and there can be a 15 to 30 degree upward swing.I know you mean't it as a joke... but it's a cruel joke being played on us by Mother Nature. If anything... the hops I planted on Thursday are ALREADY going! Should be a good "first year" in terms of establishing the plants.

#8 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

Some do, I do not. My house is a small 1200sq/ft home built in the early 60's with wall heaters. That is the extent of my heating/cooling.And no basements here. I think it has to do with the earthquakes or something, houses have to be on re-enforced foundations, and the top sill that the floor joists are hung on have to be bolted to that footing. Can't have a house rolling around a big gaping hole :). I would LOVE to have a basement though. Heck, I would love a two car garage, but I am stuck in this one car garage right now. :rolf:

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

Wow sounds like you guys out there are getting hammered early with some heat. If I were to give a suggestion, I think raising the temperature at the end of fermentation is acceptable but I don't think you wanna let it get to 90-100 degrees. I think that is even too hot for Belgian beers. I think brewhead gives a good suggestion, buy a bag of ice and put it in a tub or storage container and try and maintain the temperature keeping it moderate that way too. Ken L did give a good suggestion of using frozen 2 liter bottles as well. I would at least try something. Good Luck hope you cool off soon or at least back to whatever normal CA temps are this time of year.

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

Wow sounds like you guys out there are getting hammered early with some heat. If I were to give a suggestion, I think raising the temperature at the end of fermentation is acceptable but I don't think you wanna let it get to 90-100 degrees. I think that is even too hot for Belgian beers. I think brewhead gives a good suggestion, buy a bag of ice and put it in a tub or storage container and try and maintain the temperature keeping it moderate that way too. Ken L did give a good suggestion of using frozen 2 liter bottles as well. I would at least try something. Good Luck hope you cool off soon or at least back to whatever normal CA temps are this time of year.

Yeah, it's damn hot for this time of the year. San Jose set a record today that has been in place since just a couple of days after the big quake back in '06... and by that I mean 1906. It got to 95 degrees there today. Not a too unusual heat for SJ, but middle of April??? Come on... these are June-September type heats we are experiencing.Got the AC running so the Phat Ass Tired should be fine. I'll figure out the ice bath for the next batch. Fortunately our guest bathroom is not used much, so I can put my fermenters on the floor of the shower.Oh... and the hops are freaking loving this weather.

#11 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

Yeah, it went from sorta cold and windy to dead calm and hot in just a few days.I actually turned on the a/c yesterday a bit and have all my fans running right now.Ah......now comes the Best time of year to live in the central valley..... :blush:BrewBasser

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:01 AM

Let me ask this... what if you fermented a beer in the proper temp range (let's say 65°) and the beer fermented 90-100% at that temp and let's just say that it's in your garage. Now the temp jumps into the 90s and your primary is still in there, sweating away and there's nothing you can do about it because you don't have a basement and all of your kegs (in the fridge or freezer) are full. What unsavory things might happen to that beer at that high temp if the primary fermentation is all or mostly done? Damn, cold storage is always an issue. :blush:

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47959 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

I agree that there shouldn't be many ill effects if fermentation is just about over. However, I do think this is just about the only time it might be advisable to get the beer off the yeast and into a secondary because the higher temps would tend to favor autolysis. So if you're forced to have the beer rest at those higher temps by the weather, I'd probably transfer it.I've said so much in the past about how unnecessary "secondary" fermentation is that I think it's valuable include this caveat.

#14 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:42 AM

The MLPA is sitting in the tub of water and the water temp went up to 72 by the time I got home from work. So it really isn't that bad. The other two which is my SNPA clone, they aren't sitting in a tub of water, they are just doing what they do and they got up to about 78-80 according the fermometer. So I think it is going to be ok anyways as it didn't seem to approach the 90-100 temps. I think I might try and keg the SNPA's tonight, but I would like to try and do another MLPA this Saturday and put it right on top of the existing yeast cake as I've never done that before. :blush:But, if I wanted to keg the MLPA tonight, if I were to put the airlock back on would the yeast cake keep until Saturday?

Edited by badogg, 21 April 2009 - 07:43 AM.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:06 AM

But, if I wanted to keg the MLPA tonight, if I were to put the airlock back on would the yeast cake keep until Saturday?

I would say YES, but I would want to keep it as cool as possible if it was going to sit for 4+ days. Better yet, just harvest the yeast and save it in a clean & sanitized container and put it in the fridge. Then pitch some of it (like half) into the new beer. Then you don't have to worry about that yeast sitting in the previous primary all that time. Cheers.

#16 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

I would say YES, but I would want to keep it as cool as possible if it was going to sit for 4+ days. Better yet, just harvest the yeast and save it in a clean & sanitized container and put it in the fridge. Then pitch some of it (like half) into the new beer. Then you don't have to worry about that yeast sitting in the previous primary all that time. Cheers.

+1 on this. sanitze a mason jar and pour it in... leave the lid a bit loose and stick it in the fridge. Just don't forget to pull the jar out of the fridge when you start your brewing as opposed to when you are ready to pitch. Although it wasn't a big mistake, and ended up fermenting nicely, my Kolsch took a bit longer to get going.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

I fermented my MLPA in an igloo cooler. My house doesn't get below 74, even with AC on, so I just put some water in the cooler with the carboy (about 1/2 full) and put one 16 oz frozen water bottle in every day for about 2 weeks until it stopped bubbling. The lid to the cooler was off the whole time, and I covered the beer with an old t-shirt. The t-shirt wicked the water up and evaporated, so that helped cool it as well. I did a secondary for another 2 weeks with no chilling at all, then bottled.I tried one after a week and it tastes great, just still pretty flat. So I wouldn't worry too much about the temp after fermentation is done like the others have said.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

After reading this, I am now thanking my lucky stars that I have a basement. Yes, our winters suck and go on forever, but my basement stays pretty cool all year long. If I put a bucket of Starsan on my basement floor in the middle of the summer and take the temp, it's usually in the 60-62° neighborhood. If I lived where you guys do, I'd be looking into large fridges, freezers or a DIY walk-in cooler somewhere. :blush:

#19 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:31 AM

After reading this, I am now thanking my lucky stars that I have a basement. Yes, our winters suck and go on forever, but my basement stays pretty cool all year long. If I put a bucket of Starsan on my basement floor in the middle of the summer and take the temp, it's usually in the 60-62° neighborhood. If I lived where you guys do, I'd be looking into large fridges, freezers or a DIY walk-in cooler somewhere. :blush:

What's killing me is that I left Wisconsin to pick up the hobby out here in Cali. Man what I wouldn't give to be back in Madison with my nice cool basement and brother-in-law to help drink!

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

If I ever win the lottery im gonna build a house with a geo-cooling system. The ground temp is somewhere between 60-65 so I could use that source for making ales, cooling the house, ect. If I ever want to lager im gonna have to get a freezer and another fridge for a kegerator. That adds a lot to the electric bill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users