47 replies to this topic

#41 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

Okay... so I'm on the edge of ordering this. Let me get my logistics down. You have a beer in secondary, you rack to a sanitized keg, hook gas up to the IN port and connect a short tube from the liquid-out line of that keg to the filter which has another length of tubing which goes to the liquid-out line of another sanitized keg (so you're filling from the bottom-up). Then when the destination keg is full, seal it, chill it and carb it as usual. I see that you want the beer to be filtered cold so it would already be chilled when it reached the destination keg. I think I need to hit my LHBS and make sure that I have all of the necessary QDs, tubing, clamps, etc. You know Chad, you're on the hook for the "extra time I'll be spending with my beer" (as you say). Cheers!

I'd def want to secondary in a keg if I was doing this and then filter on the way to the serving keg.

#42 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54243 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'd def want to secondary in a keg if I was doing this and then filter on the way to the serving keg.

My concern would be that the "secondary-as-a-keg" would have some residual yeast in it and clog up the filter. Chad? Got a thought on this?

#43 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

Okay... so I'm on the edge of ordering this. Let me get my logistics down. You have a beer in secondary, you rack to a sanitized keg, hook gas up to the IN port and connect a short tube from the liquid-out line of that keg to the filter which has another length of tubing which goes to the liquid-out line of another sanitized keg (so you're filling from the bottom-up). Then when the destination keg is full, seal it, chill it and carb it as usual. I see that you want the beer to be filtered cold so it would already be chilled when it reached the destination keg. I think I need to hit my LHBS and make sure that I have all of the necessary QDs, tubing, clamps, etc. You know Chad, you're on the hook for the "extra time I'll be spending with my beer" (as you say). Cheers!

This....all of this!

My concern would be that the "secondary-as-a-keg" would have some residual yeast in it and clog up the filter. Chad? Got a thought on this?

I've thought about this but haven't tried it. Yes, you're going to get a nice layer of residual yeast at the bottom of the keg. Especially if your keg has been in a kegerator/fridge. My thought process is that I want as little yeast going through the filter as possible. So if that involves doing a secondary in an "ale pail", so be it. My process is what Ken described above...

#44 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54243 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

Thanks Chad. Yeah, I'm going to look into this and see where it goes. I would absolutely secondary it to make sure that as much yeast was left behind as possible before starting the filtering process. I have heard of people starting the filter & having it gummed up with yeast to the point that the flow completely stopped. If I were going to do this, I would want it to go as smoothly as possible with as few snags as possible. Getting 2 kegs ready is no big deal. Cheers!

#45 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14763 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

Pick one of your kegs and trim the dip tubes a bit. Use that one solely as a brite tank. Or, buy a bunch of kegs and use several. Used kegs are cheaper than carboys.

#46 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14763 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

3. At 30 psi, 5-7 minutes.

I think you are using way too much pressure and doing it too fast. From what I've heard (I've not actually filtered), you should be more like 5psi and taking 20-30 minutes. At your pressure, I'd be afraid that you are forcing larger particles through the filter media.Again just my rambling thought, but I'm thinking a 1 micron filter should produce an extremely clear beer, like the one Ken posted at the beginning. It should be absolutely brilliant, not pretty clear.

#47 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54243 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:42 AM

I think you are using way too much pressure and doing it too fast. From what I've heard (I've not actually filtered), you should be more like 5psi and taking 20-30 minutes. At your pressure, I'd be afraid that you are forcing larger particles through the filter media.Again just my rambling thought, but I'm thinking a 1 micron filter should produce an extremely clear beer, like the one Ken posted at the beginning. It should be absolutely brilliant, not pretty clear.

Yeah, that's interesting. I could envision something where you just had to play with the pressure. Too low and no beer is entering the destination keg and too high and you're plowing through the filter. I'm sure you have to have some amount of oomph just to get the beer out of keg 1, through the filter and into keg 2. I haven't ordered this stuff yet, but I'm sure I will eventually. Cheers.

#48 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:10 AM

I think you are using way too much pressure and doing it too fast. From what I've heard (I've not actually filtered), you should be more like 5psi and taking 20-30 minutes. At your pressure, I'd be afraid that you are forcing larger particles through the filter media.

This very well might be the case. I've only filtered twice so I'm still learning the system so I'll try filtering at lower pressures next time. To Ken's point above, you definetely need enough ooomph to push the beer through all that resistance (out tube, filter, in tube, etc.). But I'll try this next time and report back my results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users