47 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54282 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

Nothing to think about here Ken. It's a known fact the yeast in HB carries B complex vitamins and it does reduce the effects of hangovers.

I have read that numerous times and I know that it goes something like this... alcohol depletes your body of the B vitamin complex which is why you get the shakes, headaches, nauseous stomach, etc. But the yeast in homebrew [rich in vitamin B] replenishes your system so the effects are less. But anytime I bounce this theory around with homebrewers or just beer-drinkers, I get a suspicious look like I'm outta my mind. I know this is OT, but I would hate to filter my beer if it meant I would feel like dookie in the morning. Of course, I do love clear beer. Chad... got that ultra-clear beer picture yet??

#22 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:18 AM

Chad... got that ultra-clear beer picture yet??

Believe it or not, the beer I just filtered it already gone. I brought it to Mardi Gras and it was done before Noon....I'm taking that as the people enjoyed it :)

#23 Hentai

Hentai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBrookfield,IL

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

Believe it or not, the beer I just filtered it already gone. I brought it to Mardi Gras and it was done before Noon....I'm taking that as the people enjoyed it :)

So I take it you'll filter again?I got the same filter about 3 years ago for christmas... never been used.

#24 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

I will definetely filter again because I want my beer to be as clear as possible and I don't want to mess with gel. To each his own....

#25 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14763 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

I have an old water filter housing that I don't use anymore. I've been considering giving filtering a try.I'm about to brew an Irish Red for St Pat's that will need to be ready quickly. I'm thinking this will be my opportunity!

#26 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

Here's what I'm wondering: if you filter your beer, do you lose a siginificant volume of beer because of what is left behind in the housing and hoses?

#27 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:14 AM

Here's what I'm wondering: if you filter your beer, do you lose a siginificant volume of beer because of what is left behind in the housing and hoses?

My experience with this was no, I didn't lose any beer volume by filtering. The CO2 pushes all liquid through leaving some bubbles and leftover sediment.

#28 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

I will definetely filter again because I want my beer to be as clear as possible and I don't want to mess with gel. To each his own....

what don't you like about gel?

#29 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

what don't you like about gel?

It's not that I don't like it, I've said I don't have much experience with it and it seems to me filtering gets you the same effect. I just prefer that method. It seems I'm in a minority when it comes to being a filtering homebrewer...sheesh, what did filtered homebrew do to all of you! :)

#30 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14763 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

It's not that I don't like it, I've said I don't have much experience with it and it seems to me filtering gets you the same effect. I just prefer that method. It seems I'm in a minority when it comes to being a filtering homebrewer...sheesh, what did filtered homebrew do to all of you! :P

I think there's a stigma that filtered beer is "processed." However, when you look into it, almost every brewery and brewpub out there filters the majority of their beer. All of the small local breweries in my area filter, at least for some styles. Additionally, a lot of the extremely well respected craft brewers I can think of filter at least some of their beer.Also, a lot of people believe that it "strips the flavor." I haven't filtered before, so I can't comment. I've heard from a reputable source (pro brewer) that it does. However, I'm guessing that's filtered brew compared to ultra fresh beer from the fermenter. I suspect if they were comparing the filtered beer to a well conditioned example, they would be closer. I think the filter is just pulling out a lot of stuff that would eventually settle out as it conditions. And again, all of those over the top craft brews that we love are filtered.Finally, there's the added expense. Aside from the cost of the initial setup, those filter pads aren't cheap, so you are adding several dollars to every batch. We homebrewers can often be a bit on the cheap side!! :) It's also more work and an additional transfer.Mike McDole makes a lot of fine points in favor of filtering, and I think he has me convinced (at least on some styles). If you haven't already, I'd suggest listening to the BrewStrong episode on filtering.

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54282 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

I would like to try it sometime just to see how difficult it is and how well the final product comes out. Chad, I am so with you on the clear beer, but I just haven't gone to that degree yet. As far as gel is concerned, it does a nice job but it's an extra messy step and it sometimes doesn't work as well as you might hope. This is probably due to something else in the process as opposed to being something that the gel couldn't drop out. With filtering, I assume that you always get sparkling results. One question though... when you filter, is your beer already partially clear? I've heard that ultra-cloudy beer will gum up the filtering process and make it miserable. I have read a number of times that the filtering goes much smoother when your beer is already pretty clear. Cheers.

#32 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

It's not that I don't like it, I've said I don't have much experience with it and it seems to me filtering gets you the same effect. I just prefer that method. It seems I'm in a minority when it comes to being a filtering homebrewer...sheesh, what did filtered homebrew do to all of you! :P

I never said I had a problem with filtering :)I was just curious why you seemed to think using gel would be a pain. It seems like it's going to be pretty easy.

#33 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:22 AM

... I know this is OT, but I would hate to filter my beer if it meant I would feel like dookie in the morning. Of course, I do love clear beer. ...

Well, I know it's not scientific, but I get less pain when I overdo it on HB.That said, you will need a 0.5 micron filter to take out yeast cells.I forget what the size of filter was being thrown about, but 1 micron and bigger should be no problem.

#34 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

Alright fellas, I filtered my second batch of beer last night. It was a batch of my Black Dog Cream Ale and it went, just okay...I will say that is definetely extra work but if you don't mind spending more time with your beer, then the time doesn't bother you. Luckily, I don't mind. One other VERY important tip......BEFORE you start filtering, make damn sure you've got enough CO2 in your tank. I didn't and ran out about 2/3 of the way through. I ended up have to siphon from keg to keg.... :) Like everything else I've done with this hobby, it's trial and error and I'll make sure not to make the same mistakes again. On the positive side, my beer came out CRYSTAL clear so it's works wonders for me!

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54282 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:46 AM

Alright fellas, I filtered my second batch of beer last night. It was a batch of my Black Dog Cream Ale and it went, just okay...I will say that is definetely extra work but if you don't mind spending more time with your beer, then the time doesn't bother you. Luckily, I don't mind. One other VERY important tip......BEFORE you start filtering, make damn sure you've got enough CO2 in your tank. I didn't and ran out about 2/3 of the way through. I ended up have to siphon from keg to keg.... :) Like everything else I've done with this hobby, it's trial and error and I'll make sure not to make the same mistakes again. On the positive side, my beer came out CRYSTAL clear so it's works wonders for me!

Chad: Did you post the type of filter you're using in this thread? I didn't see it if you did. Could you post a link so I could get a look at the filter? I have one of my Mexican Vienna batches on tap right now and it's relatively clear, but slightly cloudy. The last batch was ultra clear but this one is a little less polished. I would absolutely consider using the filter you are using from time-to-time, depending on the style. Thanks bud!

#36 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:24 AM

Chad: Did you post the type of filter you're using in this thread? I didn't see it if you did. Could you post a link so I could get a look at the filter? I have one of my Mexican Vienna batches on tap right now and it's relatively clear, but slightly cloudy. The last batch was ultra clear but this one is a little less polished. I would absolutely consider using the filter you are using from time-to-time, depending on the style. Thanks bud!

Ken, I'm using this cartridge filter. And I'm with you, I won't filter every style. But those APAs, IPAs, Light colored ales/lagers...all with go through the filter.

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54282 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:59 PM

Thanks Chad. Did you use the 1 micron filter cartridge that is displayed to the right of the chamber? Just curious about some of the logistics...1. Was your beer already "pretty clear" or was it murky?2. At what pressure did you send the beer through the filter?3. How long did it take?4. Beer loss? I know you already answered that as NO REAL BEER LOSS5. How is it to sanitize the filter? How many times can you use the same filter cartridge before you have to replace it?6. Was there anything about the cleaning & sanitizing of all the pieces that concerned you?I can't believe it, but I'm strongly considering this now that I have the chance to go to school on your experience. Go back to page 1 and look at the pic I posted of the pale/amber ale and how clear it looks! Yum, clear beer. :) Thanks again Chad.

#38 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

Thanks Chad. Did you use the 1 micron filter cartridge that is displayed to the right of the chamber? Just curious about some of the logistics...1. Was your beer already "pretty clear" or was it murky?2. At what pressure did you send the beer through the filter?3. How long did it take?4. Beer loss? I know you already answered that as NO REAL BEER LOSS5. How is it to sanitize the filter? How many times can you use the same filter cartridge before you have to replace it?6. Was there anything about the cleaning & sanitizing of all the pieces that concerned you?I can't believe it, but I'm strongly considering this now that I have the chance to go to school on your experience. Go back to page 1 and look at the pic I posted of the pale/amber ale and how clear it looks! Yum, clear beer. :) Thanks again Chad.

Ken -Yeah, I went with the 1 micron filter cartridge for what they call a "brilliant polish". 1. Mine turns out what I would call pretty clear and very little chill haze if filtered cold. Definetely not murky at all. I thought about this though Ken, you and I are freaks about our beer being clear in the first place. So the difference between what I saw, while noticeable, (mainly because filter removes most of the chill haze) might not be as dramatic as someone who doesn't go through all the steps we do now. I guess what I'm saying is there is probably a much more noticeable difference for someone that maybe doesn't use a secondary and filters right off the primary. Am I making sense?2. I've found that you've got to find a happy medium. You need enough pressure to force the beer out and through the filter lines and cartridge. But you want to make sure the beer has enough time in contact with the filter so any sediment is "grabbed" by the filter. I've filtered at about 25-30 psi. You'll have to experiment a little bit but somewhere in there is probably right. 3. At 30 psi, 5-7 minutes.4. No real beer loss. But you'll always have a little residual left in the filter, so maybe less than a 1/2 pint.5. I soak the filter cartridge, the filter housing, filter lines, and disconnects in a bucket of sanitized water for 10-15 minutes. So far, I've only used them once. But at $3/filter, I might try re-using one again and see what if any ill-effects there are.6. Nope, just sanitize everything as normal and you should be fine. Additional tips:- make sure your beer is cold when you filter. This will create the chill haze which will be mostly filtered out.- make sure you're fittings are all as snug as possible. CO2 will leak out of any loose connections.Let me know what you end up doing. Like I said, the biggest difference I noticed was with most of the chill haze that got filtered out. Most of my visible yeast settled out in the cold conditions (40 degrees F) of my secondary. :cheers:

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54282 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

I am thinking that it would be a good thing to try here or there. Clearly, you must have an additional (handy, empty, cleaned & sanitized) keg to do this. I have 6 kegs total and I suppose I could get my hands on another one just to make sure I have one available. You know, if I get hooked on this clear beer thing, I'm coming after you. 5 hours in a car between Chicago and St. Louis and I will come down there for a serious talk! :) Okay, thanks for all of the info. I still say you need a picture up here too. Drez77 just PMed me about a plate filter and I told him that I actually had a plate filter that I never used. A local brewer concluded that he had a yeast allergy and I gave him my filter so he could try it out. :cheers: Cheers!

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54282 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

Okay... so I'm on the edge of ordering this. Let me get my logistics down. You have a beer in secondary, you rack to a sanitized keg, hook gas up to the IN port and connect a short tube from the liquid-out line of that keg to the filter which has another length of tubing which goes to the liquid-out line of another sanitized keg (so you're filling from the bottom-up). Then when the destination keg is full, seal it, chill it and carb it as usual. I see that you want the beer to be filtered cold so it would already be chilled when it reached the destination keg. I think I need to hit my LHBS and make sure that I have all of the necessary QDs, tubing, clamps, etc. You know Chad, you're on the hook for the "extra time I'll be spending with my beer" (as you say). Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users