31 replies to this topic

#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:50 AM

It is possible you could run into issues, but I haven't with things like that (coke labeled or pepsi labeled tanks), they just either fill it up or exchange it for me.If anything, you can always spray paint it.

just waiting to hear what the hydrotest date is now - the guy didn't seem to know about it :devil:

#22 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:34 AM

I bought an aluminum #20'er freshly tested/stamped and filled from a carbonic place 20 minutes away for $47 (34 for the tank, 13 for the fill) a few years back. it used to be a fire extinguisher that they revalved and repainted.Good luck getting the tank filled if it's stamped Pepsi. My local gas shops wouldn't touch the one I got from a neighbor. I called Pepsi and all they would do is 'take it off my hands' without me having an account.

#23 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

I bought an aluminum #20'er freshly tested/stamped and filled from a carbonic place 20 minutes away for $47 (34 for the tank, 13 for the fill) a few years back. it used to be a fire extinguisher that they revalved and repainted.Good luck getting the tank filled if it's stamped Pepsi. My local gas shops wouldn't touch the one I got from a neighbor. I called Pepsi and all they would do is 'take it off my hands' without me having an account.

I was a little worried about that - I'm thinking maybe I'll pass this one up. Take note keg purgers - I'm doing my best here :devil:

#24 Kremer

Kremer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:48 AM

I was a little worried about that

Mine was painted blue with a big Pepsi sticker wrapped around most of the body of the tank.After paint stripper, pressure washer, JBweld, new paint, and a new DOT sticker from the welding place it looks just like a new tank. It was a lot of work... I haven't taken it in to be hydrotested yet though, I think the last stamp on it was 1994.EDIT: err, I would have done all that if I diddn't give it back to Pepsi like I should have. :devil:

Edited by Kremer, 02 February 2010 - 08:53 AM.

#25 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

I ground the pepsi stamping off of my tanks and then sandblested the top--where the blue paint was. Looks just like one that was never painted.

#26 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

is it illegal to sell a pepsi CO2 tank? this guy got the tank "from pepsi"...

#27 Kremer

Kremer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

is it illegal to sell a pepsi CO2 tank? this guy got the tank "from pepsi"...

The deal I believe is they don't actually sell the tanks, only rent or lease them.

#28 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

The deal I believe is they don't actually sell the tanks, only rent or lease them.

so the answer is yes - I won't be paying $50 for illegal.

#29 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14736 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:07 AM

Sure the friendly southern and north east regions. Here is NY you exchange and get on your way... What I like about the exchange tank is that they are always inspected.

The gas places just do the exchange around here. My LHBS will fill while you wait. I have a nice, brand new, shiny aluminum tank (much lighter!), so I won't be trading that bad boy in for a heavy, dinged up, rusted, steel tank.

#30 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

Check out your friendly Fire Extinguisher shops for refills. In and out in less than 10 minutes.$50 is a good deal if it is up to date. But, ya, it's probably stolen.

Edited by Cliff Claven, 03 February 2010 - 07:06 PM.

#31 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:56 AM

Check out your friendly Fire Extinguisher shops for refills. In and out in less than 10 minutes.$50 is a good deal if it is up to date. But, ya, it's probably stolen.

Yeah - I'm not willing to pay that kind of cash for stolen goods.So keg purgers, here is your chance to find me a good deal on a CO2 tank so I can no longer fear the evil O2 touching my beer. Tanks are cheap right? :rolf:

#32 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

I've got a 20# that a friend gave me. He thought it had been in his basement for 20 years. I'll bet it's as old as I am - there are no hydrotest dates on it except for when I had it retested and filled. Nice red guy with a rubber bottom. I don't think Coke wants it back. The local fire supply place had no problem filling it.Those patched over coverups are going to look funny when they punch a new test date on the epoxy.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users