31 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

Used and in working condition (I hope). Same for CO2 regulators (also used)?

#2 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

I would think that a 20# tank would be about $100. I sold a regulator on this forum not too long ago for about $35. The "new vs. used" issue really doesn't matter so much because many places will simply exchange your cylinders when you get your gas refilled. I remember when my nice shiny tank was taken from me and was given an old dusty tank. That sucked but I wanted my CO2 more than the shiny tank.EDIT:I just looked up prices using google and it looks like I am on the extreme low end.

#3 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14736 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

I would think that a 20# tank would be about $100. I sold a regulator on this forum not too long ago for about $35. The "new vs. used" issue really doesn't matter so much because many places will simply exchange your cylinders when you get your gas refilled. I remember when my nice shiny tank was taken from me and was given an old dusty tank. That sucked but I wanted my CO2 more than the shiny tank.EDIT:I just looked up prices using google and it looks like I am on the extreme low end.

I paid $150 for a brand new one, already filled. Came from my LHBS

#4 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

Dayum, guess I should consider myself lucky. Friend of mine gave me (2) 20lb. ex-pepsi co2 tanks.

#5 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

I paid $79.00 for tank, $11 for fill from my local welding supply.

#6 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

It really depends on if you can find a good deal. I bought most of my 20# tanks off craigslist for 20$, then add another 20$ for the hydrotest and 15$ for the fill, and I have a full tank for a bit less than 60. If you are looking for a retail option, it will definitely be over 100$. You can try to call airgas or another local gas supplier to see how much it would cost to purchase a tank from them, prices can vary by quite a bit.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

It really depends on if you can find a good deal. I bought most of my 20# tanks off craigslist for 20$, then add another 20$ for the hydrotest and 15$ for the fill, and I have a full tank for a bit less than 60. If you are looking for a retail option, it will definitely be over 100$. You can try to call airgas or another local gas supplier to see how much it would cost to purchase a tank from them, prices can vary by quite a bit.

I've got a buy selling one for $50 (not filled) but I'm not sure if I need to just fill it or if it needs anything else done. I think it costs me $15 to fill a 20lber.

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

Two years ago I paid $90 for a 20lb used tank including first fill. As others have said it is a lot cheaper to buy a tank at your co2 swap place I'm not aware of anyplace in my area that will just fill a tank while you wait. Refills are $24.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:10 PM

Two years ago I paid $90 for a 20lb used tank including first fill. As others have said it is a lot cheaper to buy a tank at your co2 swap place I'm not aware of anyplace in my area that will just fill a tank while you wait. Refills are $24.

my place will fill a tank while I wait :(

#10 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14736 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

Mine, too!

#11 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

Mine, too!

Sure the friendly southern and north east regions. Here is NY you exchange and get on your way... What I like about the exchange tank is that they are always inspected.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

Sure the friendly southern and north east regions. Here is NY you exchange and get on your way... What I like about the exchange tank is that they are always inspected.

everyone tells me that the entire northeast are a bunch of assholes - what are you talking about? :(

#13 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

I remember My NEW Tank it were shiny,$79 and i exchanged it for a scratched model filled with CO2. :(

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:00 AM

I remember My NEW Tank it were shiny,$79 and i exchanged it for a scratched model filled with CO2. :(

5lber?ETA: do any of you guys know how to read the CO2 sticker? I'm trying to determine if I can just get this thing filled up or not.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:35 AM

ETA: do any of you guys know how to read the CO2 sticker? I'm trying to determine if I can just get this thing filled up or not.

So any tips on figuring out if this tank is good to go or if it's going to cause me problems? I can see from the picture he sent it has a CO2 sticker on it but I don't know anything else.

#16 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:44 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by give you problems. The only thing I can think of that could cause a delay with getting it filled (or possibly cost you to get it exchanged) would be if it is out of test. There will be dates stamped on the top section of the tank. Usually it has four digits, with some symbols in the middle. The four digits tell you the month and year of the last hydrotest, the symbols in the middle you don't have to worry about, they are the unique identifier for whoever did the hydrotest. If your tank is old, it is quite possible that it has many hydrotest dates, you need to look for the most recent one (I have a tank from the 40's, and it has many hydrotest dates).In general, if you are buying a used tank, it most likely will be out of test, because they will usually want to say if it is in test as that is a good selling point. Or they could have no idea what they are selling. Haha.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:17 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by give you problems. The only thing I can think of that could cause a delay with getting it filled (or possibly cost you to get it exchanged) would be if it is out of test. There will be dates stamped on the top section of the tank. Usually it has four digits, with some symbols in the middle. The four digits tell you the month and year of the last hydrotest, the symbols in the middle you don't have to worry about, they are the unique identifier for whoever did the hydrotest. If your tank is old, it is quite possible that it has many hydrotest dates, you need to look for the most recent one (I have a tank from the 40's, and it has many hydrotest dates).In general, if you are buying a used tank, it most likely will be out of test, because they will usually want to say if it is in test as that is a good selling point. Or they could have no idea what they are selling. Haha.

how long is a test good for? I'll have to check out my tank at home so I can make sure I know what I'm looking for.

#18 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:23 AM

Sorry, I completely forgot to put that information in my post! 5 years for CO2 tanks.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:29 AM

Sorry, I completely forgot to put that information in my post! 5 years for CO2 tanks.

found that - so if the tank is still within the test date I should feel pretty comfortable that this thing is good to go right? the guy also says it's a pepsi CO2 tank - could I run into any legal problems here?

#20 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:47 AM

It is possible you could run into issues, but I haven't with things like that (coke labeled or pepsi labeled tanks), they just either fill it up or exchange it for me.If anything, you can always spray paint it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users