• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:28 AM

Who is brewing this weekend? I'm getting together with my cousin/brewbuddy and making 24G of 1.100 RIS tonight at his house. Temps will probably be 20F when we start at 5pm and 10F when we wrap up about 11pm, Brrrr.. we'll definitely have the garage door more closed than open.

#2 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:33 AM

I made a half all-grain batch inside yesterday,might make another saturday.Temps 7 here this morning,and No garage.Sounds like your group will have a good time though. :mellow:

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:51 AM

Probably not going to brew this weekend. I have plenty of transfer to do though. Nut Brown Ale into secondary along with a Belgian IPA. I also am kegging and lagering my Munich Dunkel and Helles that are ready to age for a month or so too. Maybe I will get a batch in, we will see. Beer drinking though none the less. Cheers all.

#4 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:58 AM

I'll be heating the sparge water for my altbier around 6AM Saturday morning. Should be about 15F. Unheated barn, but i made sure all of the water lines were clear a few days back before the freezing weather hit. Cleaning carboy's in that weather won't be fun. Still warmer than sitting in a tree stand!

#5 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14179 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:13 AM

Brewing 5 gals of a winter ale, and then racking several other batches and stuff. Next week looks bigger, planning on a double 10 gal brewday, probably Wed. :mellow:

#6 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:48 AM

I took most of January off so it's time to get back at it again. I think I'm just going to make my normal house IPA to stock up. I'll prep after work tonight and brew tomorrow. I have some LME I recently found and think I'll back that up with a RIS or an IIPA.

#7 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:53 AM

Heating the strike water for an American amber right now, about 20 more degrees to go.

#8 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

I brewed a Bohemian Pilsener yesterday, my first double decoction mash. I calculated my efficiency at 91%! :mellow: I can't hardly believe it, but I was very careful with all my measurements.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

Brewing my first AG since September. I'll probably brew two batches. Looking at a APA and something else. Not quite sure yet.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

Heating the strike water for an American amber right now, about 20 more degrees to go.

Damn, you picked a great day to brew .. not cold out there at all!

#11 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:59 PM

Damn, you picked a great day to brew .. not cold out there at all!

The high today was 14 here. My outdoor faucet was frozen, so my attempt to rinse out the MT was futile, that had to get down in the kitchen sink. But then when I needed the hose for the chiller, I had to run it through my kitchen window, and attach that to the sink. Well there was ice in the exhaust hose, so the flow through the plate didnt work, I thought it was from the supply hose, so I had to bring that in and thaw it in a bucket of hot water, reconnected and still didnt work, so had to thaw the exhaust hose as well, then got flow. Not without drenching myself first disconnecting the chillplate. Fun stuff, good news is I hit the OG on the money 15P, and it took no time at all to fill both fermenters. Thank God the garage was warm, so only part of the day sucked! :devil:

#12 GatorBait

GatorBait

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMiami, Florida

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

I'll be making my first batch of MLPA tomorrow. Temperature should remain in the low 70s for most of the day. Although there are many things I dislike about this place, the winter weather isn't on the list.

#13 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

45bbls of Schlafly APA this morning and 4.5bbls of Pinball Blizzard Rye IPA at MBC tomorrow, cleaning a couple of kegs and kegging Anniversary Ale I: Spiced Belgian Dark Strong Ale so that I can take Sunday off to drink some beer... :devil:

#14 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

Who is brewing this weekend? I'm getting together with my cousin/brewbuddy and making 24G of 1.100 RIS tonight at his house. Temps will probably be 20F when we start at 5pm and 10F when we wrap up about 11pm, Brrrr.. we'll definitely have the garage door more closed than open.

the RIS is done, it's 13F outside and the driveway is a skating rink... RIS came out at 1.110, yee ha!

#15 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

Brewing a Patersbier with Wy1762. Should be good.

#16 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:54 AM

Robust porter in the works, 10 gallons of beer kegged from last batch.

#17 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

Brewed 10G of Bell's Two hearted Clone...I threw in some extra Cents too. Also transfered a baltic porter and put it in the garage. It's pretty cold out there. In fact the small amount of water I spilled yesterday froze almost instantly!

#18 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

I took most of January off so it's time to get back at it again. I think I'm just going to make my normal house IPA to stock up. I'll prep after work tonight and brew tomorrow. I have some LME I recently found and think I'll back that up with a RIS or an IIPA.

Great brew day. I had to run out after I doughed in so the mash was 2 hours. I came in a couple points higher than normal. I think I'm going to do the IIPA next weekend if I can just work out the numbers for the recipe.

#19 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

Well, 11 gallons of alt is slowly bubbling away in the basement. Sounds like my day wasn't too much different than others. Walked out to the barn at 6AM - still dark - 12F - everything froze. I realized - too late - that I had left 5 gallons of star san solution in my HLT from last brew session, so spent an hour heating that up enough to unfreeze it. With little sleep and not enough coffee I grabbed the bottom of the keggle to dump it out (after it had been sitting on a 54K BTU propane burner for 30 minutes at full bore). It's amazing how you can hear your skin sizzle and not feel a think when they are stark numb from cleaning equipment in ice cold water. Luckily there was plenty of ice and it didn't blister too badly. Had to constantly thaw hoses as they would freeze up after 20 minutes of non-use - and any water spilled instantly turned into an ice slick. (Carrying a demijohn full of 11 gallons of wort across ice is probably the stupidest thing I've done so far this year.)Minus the nice burn, things didn't turn out too bad. But that will be the last 12F brew day I do in a long time.On the plus side, I experimented with crushing the grains a bit finer this time and pulled off 89% efficiency. I'm not one to get excited about efficiency, but I was pretty amazed at the increase (I usually only get about 78%).Brew on!

#20 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

Transferred 5 gals of MLPA to secondary this morning. Roasted grains for a 5 gal batch of Flat Ass Tired to do tomorrow morning. I also have ingredients for an Oatmeal Stout. Could I pull off a double batch day? Hmmmmmm. We will just have to wait and see how it goes... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users