#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

Needs more hops.....

not much more actually - it was almost 100 IBU but could have used a little more flavor/aroma. edit: here was the hopping schedule... 1.5 oz Williamette FWH 2.0 oz Magnum for 60 min 2.0 oz Williamette for 5 min 2.0 oz Cascade for 1 min

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

not much more actually - it was almost 100 IBU but could have used a little more flavor/aroma.

eggs-actly.

#23 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:11 AM

eggs-actly.

it was my first IPA - give me a break :sarcasm: :cheers:

#24 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:36 PM

it was my first IPA - give me a break :sarcasm: :cheers:

I don't know, I can get a lot of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma from 7 oz of hops in 5 gallons. However if you are doing 12 gallons like JK then it should be harder.

#25 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:38 AM

I don't know, I can get a lot of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma from 7 oz of hops in 5 gallons. However if you are doing 12 gallons like JK then it should be harder.

it was 5 gal

#26 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

it was 5 gal

Do you actually plan for a 5 gallon post boil volume when you formulate recipes?

#27 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

Do you actually plan for a 5 gallon post boil volume when you formulate recipes?

I plan for 5 gal when it gets to the keg so normally I end up with something like 5.3 gallons in primary.

#28 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

Do you use a recipe building spreadsheet/program? If you do, what volume to you use in your recipe building?

#29 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:16 PM

Do you use a recipe building spreadsheet/program? If you do, what volume to you use in your recipe building?

I do - I use 5 gallons but I also use 70% efficiency. So I end up with more wort in primary but my efficiency is actually greater than 70% so it about equals out.

#30 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

I have my grains crushed, hops weighed and I'm working weighing out my salts. I need to build up my yeast. I'll be brewing this tomorrow or Wednesday.

#31 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

I just spotted this thread.JKoravos, you hit on something in your first post that I've been mulling on for awhile. After all of the extreme beers, I really think the next big fad in micros is going to come from session beers. I've been toying with a brewpub business plan for awhile now and one of the cornerstones of my plan is a base lineup of session beers. All under 1.043 OG. Nearly all of my brewing over the last 2 years has been concentrated on tweaking several session beers for the brewpub.Your recipe looks tasty. And ought to hit the spot when the weather warms up.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

I have been leaning towards session beers. I love to have a big beer on tap but also like to have 2-3 small beers so that I can have a few and enjoy them all night.

#33 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:30 AM

I've definitely been trending towards session beers as time goes by. I've really come to appreciate the German brews more, as a result. Easy drinking, clean, flavorful brews. I think we've gone a little too far towards the extreme beers in the US. You have to have some monster alcohol, monster hopped beer to make a name for yourself in the US beer market. You can't just have a good lineup of quality beers.Anyway, I'm finally brewing this beer right now. I'm really excited about this one. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

#34 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

Damn, it feels great to have a brew in the fermenter. It's been over 4 months! The wort smells and tastes great.

#35 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

Checked the gravity today. It started at 1.038, it's down to about 1.014. Right about where I wanted, I was predicting/hoping for 1.012. I bumped my temp set point from 68 to 71 for a d-rest and to maybe eke out a few gravity points. It tastes awfully good, nice maltiness and hoppiness and great aroma. Not much residual sweetness. Some dry hopping will really make it pop.

#36 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:16 AM

Dry hopped last night. Prolly keg it next weekend.

#37 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

I took my first pull of the keg tonight, the hops are all there, maybe even a little too bitter, but not crazy. The problem is the lack of malt backbone. It's the same problem I had with the my mild (my last brew), it just tastes a little watery. I wasn't sure that was the problem with my mild, but now after two batches (both sub-1.040 beers) with the same problem, I think that's the culprit.I'm curious about other people's thoughts or experiences with this. The Mild was an extract batch, so I didn't have much control, but the PA was AG. I got probably in the mid-80s in efficiency (not 100% sure since I lost a quart or two of first running to a loose hose). I'm thinking maybe the next time around I might use a much larger grist and dial back the efficiency with a higher water to grist ratio and shorter sparge.

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

I was going to suggest upping your rest temp but looks like you used 156 so I cannot imagine that is the issue. I did a mild that was about 1.032 and it had a nice malt backbone. My eff is only in the low 70's so you may be onto something with the efficiency. Maybe you should get some cara-pils ..LOL

#39 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:17 PM

I'll throw in my obligatory suggestion for some aromatic malt. You may also want to extend your boil to 90 minutes if you didn't do that already. Any way to increase melanoidens in the wort. Crystal will increase sweetness and body, but if you want some malt backbone, then I think you want melanoidens, not necessarily caramel sweetness. I would think a .5# of melanoiden or aromatic malt would give you that malty chewiness you're looking for.

#40 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

I'll throw in my obligatory suggestion for some aromatic malt. You may also want to extend your boil to 90 minutes if you didn't do that already. Any way to increase melanoidens in the wort. Crystal will increase sweetness and body, but if you want some malt backbone, then I think you want melanoidens, not necessarily caramel sweetness. I would think a .5# of melanoiden or aromatic malt would give you that malty chewiness you're looking for.

Yeah, I was thinking about some melanoidin malt, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users