Photo
- - - - -

Force Carbing vs Natural Carbing

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Force Carbing vs Natural Carbing (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Can you tell the difference?

1. Yes, I think I can (8 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

2. No, they seem the same to me (13 votes [61.90%])

Percentage of vote: 61.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

APA

sounds like a fair test candidate as long as the hoppiness wasn't over the top.

#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:27 AM

sounds like a fair test candidate as long as the hoppiness wasn't over the top.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see why that would matter.

#23 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:28 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see why that would matter.

if a beer had a very strong flavor/aroma it might hide potential differences.

#24 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:01 AM

if a beer had a very strong flavor/aroma it might hide potential differences.

Well, I guess maybe, but I'm still having a hard time grokking that.

#25 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

Well, I guess maybe, but I'm still having a hard time grokking that.

sort of the equivalent to putting lots of spices on a meat can hide that meats taste, I just had to look up grok. Is that a common term out your way?

#26 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

All were allowed to sit for 2 months for the CO2 to be fully dissolved into the beer.

This brings up a really good point. In the other thread about keg purging, most say there kegs dont last 2 months to worry about long term oxidation. So for those who bottle, I would think the majority probably do not wait 2 months to begin consumption.As a matter of fact, how many threads do we read that start saying "I bottled a week ago and my beer______" insert question there. Now some may wait a nice 3-4 weeks, but I bet most are drinking, trading, or entering into competition beers that have not fully matured. Again I am not saying this is everyone, but I bet there is a high % where it applies.

#27 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:54 PM

This brings up a really good point. In the other thread about keg purging, most say there kegs dont last 2 months to worry about long term oxidation. So for those who bottle, I would think the majority probably do not wait 2 months to begin consumption.As a matter of fact, how many threads do we read that start saying "I bottled a week ago and my beer______" insert question there. Now some may wait a nice 3-4 weeks, but I bet most are drinking, trading, or entering into competition beers that have not fully matured. Again I am not saying this is everyone, but I bet there is a high % where it applies.

I occasionally sample one from 1-6 weeks of aging but after that I may just dive right in. If I happen to have plenty of other beer most of them probably make it to 2 months or more though. I rarely bottle however.

#28 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:30 PM

sort of the equivalent to putting lots of spices on a meat can hide that meats taste, I just had to look up grok. Is that a common term out your way?

Grok comes from a Heinlein novel. Guess I'm showing my age!I still don't grok your analogy, though! :smilielol: To me, carbonation will affect mouthfeel, not flavor.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54811 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:07 PM

Between the green beer flavor of young, sugar-primed bottles and the slight sweetness I used to detect from my primed beers, I prefer force-carbonated keg beer. I think they taste cleaner to me. The comment about bubble-size is so funny, because I have also noticed that beers primed with corn sugar have larger bubbles than beers primed with DME or force-carbonated. That may just be the mind tricking me (or you), but I have noticed it. For the record, when I used to bottle with priming solution, I wouldn't touch those bottles unless they were at least 4 weeks in the bottle, preferably 6. I always tasted the green beer flavor early on and decided to just leave them to do their thing so the entire batch would be smooth and drinkable to my palate. I still haven't primed a keg... maybe I should, just to see if I taste something different. Cheers.

#30 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

Grok comes from a Heinlein novel. Guess I'm showing my age!I still don't grok your analogy, though! :smilielol: To me, carbonation will affect mouthfeel, not flavor.

good point - I guess I was thinking about flavor b/c I had already discounted the carbonation being different :cheers:

#31 *_Guest_sdeweese_*

*_Guest_sdeweese_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for using the word, Denny. Could easily be used to describe the brewer's gestalt. Heinlein>Wolfe>Muir>Denny. Progression makes sense to me.

#32 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64253 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:10 PM

Don't know, don't care. I can't see myself ever naturally carbing my beer, regardless of whether it tastes better or not. Kegging = :smilielol: .

#33 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:13 PM

I dont think that Id be able to tell them apart.

#34 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:58 AM

Well, my .02 here guys:When I first got started kegging, I would naturally carbonate the beer with a post fermentation sugar charge in the keg. I really do believe the bubbles were smaller than when force carbing. I also did feel it had increased mouthfeel and creaminess, somewhat in keeping with the champagne article.HOWEVER, when I let kegs cold stabilize for an extended period, the bubbles were now smaller and other sensations were similar to naturally carbonated beers. So what gives thought I? It certainly is cleaner, and all I have to do is wait for great beer. Not a problem, just brew more!So we know that tanins and particles floating around in beer cause, besides the obvious tannic sensations, larger bubbles and shorter foam stand. This is one of the reasons lagers are so great in this respect: No Schmutz (original yiddish, no ™ required) floating around in the beers to disrupt the head.So why does natural carbing do this? My guess is the process of yeast flocculation entraps these tanins and particles and in short order forces them to be part of the sediment. When we rack beer,we stir some of the schmutz up and put it back into solution.Well, that's my less than educated guess on the topic. What say y'all?

Edited by Stout_fan, 23 December 2009 - 07:59 AM.

#35 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:01 AM

Well, my .02 here guys:When I first got started kegging, I would naturally carbonate the beer with a post fermentation sugar charge in the keg. I really do believe the bubbles were smaller than when force carbing. I also did feel it had increased mouthfeel and creaminess, somewhat in keeping with the champagne article.HOWEVER, when I let kegs cold stabilize for an extended period, the bubbles were now smaller and other sensations were similar to naturally carbonated beers. So what gives thought I? It certainly is cleaner, and all I have to do is wait for great beer. Not a problem, just brew more!So we know that tanins and particles floating around in beer cause, besides the obvious tannic sensations, larger bubbles and shorter foam stand. This is one of the reasons lagers are so great in this respect: No Schmutz (original yiddish, no ™ required) floating around in the beers to disrupt the head.So why does natural carbing do this? My guess is the process of yeast flocculation entraps these tanins and particles and in short order forces them to be part of the sediment. When we rack beer,we stir some of the schmutz up and put it back into solution.Well, that's my less than educated guess on the topic. What say y'all?

I think letting the force carbing stabilize is the difference as well.

#36 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:21 AM

You may be on to something there. I have also noticed that sometimes when I bottle beer from the keg, after a week of cold storage in the bottle, the bottled beer is clearer and tastes smoother than a pint straight from the keg. I assumed it was because the tannins feel out faster in a that short bottle than they do in the big, tall keg.

#37 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:44 AM

I think letting the force carbing stabilize is the difference as well.

Which is why I did the 2 month wait in my experiment.

#38 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:48 AM

Which is why I did the 2 month wait in my experiment.

brilliant!

#39 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

brilliant!

Denny, now there's a guy who knows where his towel is!

#40 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:17 AM

Denny, now there's a guy who knows where his towel is!

say wha?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users