#21 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

Also, just a suggestion, depending on the number of participants, which looks like it should be a good amount, maybe we could divide the group into a west(ish) coast and an east(ish) coast, to try and save a few dollars on shipping?Or we could do the opposite, and have each coast ship to eachother, with the caveat being you need to include 1 bottle of a beer indigenous only to your local area? (hoping to get a bottle of RR!!)Or maybe I am just making too much out of it, no work to do because of the holidays- I have no clients to call on! Bored, should just start 'rinkin now! Prost!

#22 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

Also, just a suggestion, depending on the number of participants, which looks like it should be a good amount, maybe we could divide the group into a west(ish) coast and an east(ish) coast, to try and save a few dollars on shipping?Or we could do the opposite, and have each coast ship to eachother, with the caveat being you need to include 1 bottle of a beer indigenous only to your local area? (hoping to get a bottle of RR!!)Or maybe I am just making too much out of it, no work to do because of the holidays- I have no clients to call on! Bored, should just start 'rinkin now! Prost!

well...I use a USPS Medium size flat rate box...you can fit 6 "yeast samples" in that size box and if you print it online its $9.85. I like the idea of the local brews...

#23 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

I think it's generally a bad idea to ship via USPS, since it's actually illegal. It's not illegal to ship it via FedEx or UPS, they just reserve the right to "confiscate" your package.

#24 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

Ship Date: 1/15/10Current Passers:1. JKoravos2. ChefL3. Jayb4. KenLenard5. beer baron?6. Thirsty7. DaBearSox8. orudis9. drez7710. sdeweese11. stellarbrew12. strangebrewerLet's give people until the end of the week to jump in, then I'll do the selections.

Edited by JKoravos, 22 December 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54285 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

they just reserve the right to "confiscate" your package.

This sounds like something you might see in the PH. :smilielol:

#26 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

I think it's generally a bad idea to ship via USPS, since it's actually illegal. It's not illegal to ship it via FedEx or UPS, they just reserve the right to "confiscate" your package.

I agree with this alot. I just shipped off 8 beers to SA for the Patriot comp, and I had a good sized box (Ken- should that be in the PH? :smilielol: ) and it only cost $10. Now it was within the same state, but I think shipping UPS is much safer. The girl at the counter read it back to me: "you are shipping to the Boston beer company, care of homebrew competition" and she didnt care one bit. I wouldnt even risk it.

#27 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

I have first hand experience with USPS confiscating packages. It wasn't pretty. I felt violated.

#28 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:49 PM

sort of unrelated but if any of the locals want to get together for a face to face swap I'd be game. since I don't have a beer gun I question how well a bottle I filled from my keg would travel if shipped.

#29 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:01 PM

since I don't have a beer gun I question how well a bottle I filled from my keg would travel if shipped.

I have been trying to be more careful about beergunning up a couple extra beers each time for a swap or sample to someone, but before I did this, I used to pour directly all the time. A purged bottle is best, but I would just fill a clean pyrex measuring cup with beer, (slightly more than I need, 13 oz for regular bottles, or just over a pint for grolsch bottles) and then pour the the measuring cup slowly into the bottle. If you disconnect the gas and bleed most the head pressure, you can fill a cup up with very little foam, by the time you start your pour, the bottle will fill up essentially foamless.I dont recommend doing this practice constantly, but if you know your taster will be drinking it within a couple of weeks, it will make no noticable difference. I have needed one more bottle for a comp entry and done this more than once. Just a suggestion.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54285 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

I've had beer boxes sent to me via USPS with a note on it saying that shipping alcohol is illegal (of course, a bottle broke and the box was leaking beer). I've also had people tell me that a box I sent to them was on the front porch leaking. Not good.Thirsty... yeah, see there? The PH is spreading out into the rest of the board. :smilielol:

#31 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

I have been trying to be more careful about beergunning up a couple extra beers each time for a swap or sample to someone, but before I did this, I used to pour directly all the time. A purged bottle is best, but I would just fill a clean pyrex measuring cup with beer, (slightly more than I need, 13 oz for regular bottles, or just over a pint for grolsch bottles) and then pour the the measuring cup slowly into the bottle. If you disconnect the gas and bleed most the head pressure, you can fill a cup up with very little foam, by the time you start your pour, the bottle will fill up essentially foamless.I dont recommend doing this practice constantly, but if you know your taster will be drinking it within a couple of weeks, it will make no noticable difference. I have needed one more bottle for a comp entry and done this more than once. Just a suggestion.

I don't have a method to purge the bottles but either way - what's the purpose of pouring into a pyrex cup first? why not go straight into the bottle?

#32 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

I've used those boxes about 5 times to ship to IL, GA, MI...never got taken...told them it is yeast samples or homemade rootbeer...i even went as far as putting anote in there about the rootbeer so if they did opened it they would actualyl have to drink one to figure it out. Strange Brewer...did they just take the package and never herd of it again?Also, I remember these conversations from the last one and wasn't it concluded that it is illegal to ship alcohol with ANY service? Someone posted the terms from UPS and FedEx or something.

#33 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:10 PM

I don't have a method to purge the bottles but either way - what's the purpose of pouring into a pyrex cup first? why not go straight into the bottle?

I did it that way to let what little foam did accumulate, to stay at the top, while the beer poured from under it. It is also easier to get that foam free pour when the faucet spout is right close to the side of the cup, I would think with pouring direct into a bottle there will be some splashing which will cause foaming. It is a quick method that worked for me. Many others swear by just inserting some tubing tightly in or over the spout, reducing pressure the same, and filling from the bottom of the bottle. Hey whatever works. My point being is if you can get the beer foam free into a bottle, it will be fine with no off flavors for a couple weeks. Maybe even longer, but I have no proof for that. i wouldnt worry about bottling off the tap and sending on a pass. I know I always drink my pass beers within a couple days of receiving anyhow!!

#34 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:13 PM

I did it that way to let what little foam did accumulate, to stay at the top, while the beer poured from under it. It is also easier to get that foam free pour when the faucet spout is right close to the side of the cup, I would think with pouring direct into a bottle there will be some splashing which will cause foaming. It is a quick method that worked for me. Many others swear by just inserting some tubing tightly in or over the spout, reducing pressure the same, and filling from the bottom of the bottle. Hey whatever works. My point being is if you can get the beer foam free into a bottle, it will be fine with no off flavors for a couple weeks. Maybe even longer, but I have no proof for that. i wouldnt worry about bottling off the tap and sending on a pass. I know I always drink my pass beers within a couple days of receiving anyhow!!

yeah - when I've filled bottles I turn the pressure way down and just put the end of the tap in the tilted bottle. by the time I get close to full there is a little foam but the fill level is about what I would expect if I bought a bottled beer at the store.

#35 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

Strange Brewer...did they just take the package and never herd of it again?

Yup the box just disappeared and upon finding out it was shipped via USPS I decided to not follow up on it. In this case it was a commercial beer being shipped from PA to FL. It just disappeared without a word.

#36 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:17 PM

Many others swear by just inserting some tubing tightly in or over the spout, reducing pressure the same, and filling from the bottom of the bottle.

I used this method in the past and it worked fine. I never had any comments about the beer being undercarbed but pretty sure they were drunk within a week of arrival.Now I have a friend with a beer gun :smilielol:

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54285 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

Also, I remember these conversations from the last one and wasn't it concluded that it is illegal to ship alcohol with ANY service? Someone posted the terms from UPS and FedEx or something.

I think UPS and FedEx are okay with it. Remember "Beer of the Month Club"... how could they ship that out to customers if nobody allowed it? I think there is a monthly wine club too. I have done it with UPS and I know they're fine with it.

#38 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:45 PM

I'd be in as well. Getting out some Potomac to the masses!

#39 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

I think UPS and FedEx are okay with it. Remember "Beer of the Month Club"... how could they ship that out to customers if nobody allowed it? I think there is a monthly wine club too. I have done it with UPS and I know they're fine with it.

I think the issue is the alcohol tax...with those clubs you pay the applicable taxes. But to each his own...if mine gets nabbed then i'll just send out another one...like i said my homemade root beer is delicious.

#40 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:50 PM

I think the issue is the alcohol tax...with those clubs you pay the applicable taxes. But to each his own...if mine gets nabbed then i'll just send out another one...like i said my homemade root beer is delicious.

The trick is to fill you box with half bottles of actual rootbeer and half homebrew. Even if they open it up and pop one, there's only a 50/50 shot they'll get a beer. :smilielol:Heck, with the kind of beers we're all brewing, there's a 50/50 chance that the schlub who taste tests it won't even realize that it's beer. 'This ain't no Bud!'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users