pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28456 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

Everyone was a newbie at some point...

That is fine. But I would get irritated but the ones that wanted the info handed to them without so much as doing a bit of reading to notice their question has already been asked/answered 1000times or there is a FAQ for it. Find it kinda insulting like they feel their time is more valuable or something. That is just me.Now with that in mind one here and there isn't an issue but I've watched guys show up that just bomb the board with these types of questions.

#22 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

I just think that the people here don't sit atop a high horse. Those people just stayed "Over there"

#23 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28456 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

I just think that the people here don't sit atop a high horse. Those people just stayed "Over there"

I'm better than you, so there.

#24 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

I'm better than you, so there.

:)

#25 *_Guest_sdeweese_*

*_Guest_sdeweese_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

Uh - Yah I guess. Until I read this thread. :) (j/k)I do not think we should underestimate the value of neophytes coming here and asking questions with what might seem to be obvious answers.All highly experienced brewers didn't know jack at one point. If we welcome everybody and treat all questions and comments with respect, and provide answers, this place will grow.Just one brewer's opinion.zymot

On target opinion, zymot. There are, have been and will be many places for people to learn and elevate their art/science of brewing beer. Making it interesting to everyone is the trick. Taking an esoteric approach appeals only to those who originated the idea and were on board first. I like this place and will support it gladly as the talent and personality here is conducive to my learning. A potential newbie may not, given the tenor of some responses to this thread.

#26 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

I don't see any bubbles in my airlock, is my beer ruined?BrewBasser

#27 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

I don't see any bubbles in my airlock, is my beer ruined?BrewBasser

pfft, we all know you don't use airlocks. :)

#28 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

I don't see any bubbles in my airlock, is my beer ruined?

Visit my website

#29 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

The most annoying replies are the kind that do not answer the question.Q: What are the best bottle caps to use?A: Bottling sucks! You should keg, that is what I do.Q: How much color will amber LME add to my ale?A: Don't use extract! You should go all grain, it is real easy.

#30 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:39 PM

The most annoying replies are the kind that do not answer the question.Q: What are the best bottle caps to use?A: Bottling sucks! You should keg, that is what I do.Q: How much color will amber LME add to my ale?A: Don't use extract! You should go all grain, it is real easy.

+1I like to answer the question and pontificate that my way is better.:)BrewBasser

#31 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

Visit my website

LOL!!!!BrewBasser

#32 Mudd

Mudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Illinois

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

Visit my website

:) :( ROLF!!!

#33 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

Shit, all this brain damage from using Aluminum brew-pots early on is taking a toll on me.What are we talking about again?

#34 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

I try to avoid this unless I really feel like I'm looking out for the person's best interest. Like if someone asked me how to make a flamethrower I might not answer that and suggest they brew beer instead.

#35 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

The mods built it well, they will come.Newbs will show up eventually. I got a bit lax at the other place lately answering. And, I never would have gotten this far without the help from others, not to mention making a lot of friends. I'll try to be a bit better at it when the cars line up here. Plus we don't have a big FAQ library yet. And, everyone loves to point it out when I screw up an answer :)

#36 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Visit my website

:) :( :rolf:

#37 Lonnie Mac

Lonnie Mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBacliff, TX

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

The mods built it well, they will come.Newbs will show up eventually. I got a bit lax at the other place lately answering. And, I never would have gotten this far without the help from others, not to mention making a lot of friends. I'll try to be a bit better at it when the cars line up here. Plus we don't have a big FAQ library yet. And, everyone loves to point it out when I screw up an answer :)

I have to agree with this. I got lax too... Honestly, I am a BIG believer in the search function as that is how I learned back in the day. I didn't ask much really, I learned my ass off by reading everything I could, and searching everything I could get my hands on... I think one of my first postings on the defunct GB was showing off my all grain Brutus 5 and my mash stirrer... I guess sometimes I wish this upon others, but I fell bad at times too because we all were there as well. Just some of us put alot of energy into finding out an answer that has been gone over for years already...

#38 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

I have to agree with this. I got lax too... Honestly, I am a BIG believer in the search function as that is how I learned back in the day. I didn't ask much really, I learned my ass off by reading everything I could, and searching everything I could get my hands on... I think one of my first postings on the defunct GB was showing off my all grain Brutus 5 and my mash stirrer... I guess sometimes I wish this upon others, but I fell bad at times too because we all were there as well. Just some of us put alot of energy into finding out an answer that has been gone over for years already...

:) So, we all have some stuff to contribute to the FAQs. I'll try to get after it in a couple weeks. Got some bidness stuff that has first priority.dj

#39 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

SO what you're saying here Lonnie, is that brewing beer isnt exactly rocket science... :)

#40 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

SO what you're saying here Lonnie, is that brewing beer isnt exactly rocket science... :)

His intent was "brewing isn't rocket surgery". I'm psychic like that. That will be 10 USD next time. First one's free. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users