#1 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:29 AM

Or does this board seem noticeably 'higher level' in terms of the topics discussed? Not that I'm trying to toot our own horn here but I'm just saying I haven't seen any threads asking whether aluminum pots are okay to use or any other of the questions where the answer is "look it up yourself". I guess the level of experience is just generally higher, or maybe there haven't been a lot of novice brewers joining the board.What do you all think?

#2 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:44 AM

r maybe there haven't been a lot of novice brewers joining the board.What do you all think?

probably this....

#3 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:54 AM

probably this....

I concur. It's slightly pleasant though.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:03 AM

..................What do you all think?

It's in the FAQs :rolf:

#5 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

So....uh.......I heard that brewing beer can make you go blind. That true?

#6 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

I'll agree that the topics here are discussed on a higher level (and often over my head) but I like that about the board. If I'm having a problem or having trouble understanding something there are a multitude of people smarter than me that I can request help from. :rolf:

#7 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

I'll agree that the topics here are discussed on a higher level (and often over my head) but I like that about the board. If I'm having a problem or having trouble understanding something there are a multitude of people smarter than me that I can request help from. :rolf:

Agreed. Certainly the appeal of the board is access to people of expertise, by the way thanks you people you know who you are.And yes, all those simple questions are answered in the FAQ, but obviously people still neglect to look there, maybe out of ignorance. I remember when I first started brewing and forum-ing over there on the GB I asked a few dumb questions before I found the search bar and the FAQ.I guess my real question is this board failing to attract new brewers? Are we somehow less visible than the other brewing boards? Is that even a bad thing?

#8 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

Agreed. Certainly the appeal of the board is access to people of expertise, by the way thanks you people you know who you are.And yes, all those simple questions are answered in the FAQ, but obviously people still neglect to look there, maybe out of ignorance. I remember when I first started brewing and forum-ing over there on the GB I asked a few dumb questions before I found the search bar and the FAQ.I guess my real question is this board failing to attract new brewers? Are we somehow less visible than the other brewing boards? Is that even a bad thing?

When I first started reading the forums I start with the one that google came up with (can't remember which). After that I noticed a few threads people started about which forums everyone else visited. This expanded my list of favorites considerably.Maybe a few well placed threads of this nature with some ringer responses in other forums would up the member numbers here... if that matters anyway.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

I guess my real question is this board failing to attract new brewers? Are we somehow less visible than the other brewing boards? Is that even a bad thing?

I wouldn't worry about it. As we have more and more threads being put up, it will (should) hit the search engines. That's how I initially found the GB. I was seraching a topic on Yahoo and it took me to a thread. That's when I ditched the Yahoo Group. But for the time being, let's enjoy the high brow discussions! More members will come... don't worry about that.

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

We haven't been around long enough to climb the ranks of google. So somebody searching for how to build a keggle (for example) would find a lot of other brewing forums before they find us. As we add more content, we hope that will change. Scott, Keith and I track our google stats daily and we see that people are finding us through google by searching for us directly. IOW, we see search strings like "brew brothers", "brew-bros", "blue board", etc. but not many people are finding us by searching for more generic brewing terms. Yet.Yes, I think it's a bad thing in the long run because the pattern we've observed is that brewers will come to a forum, participate like crazy for a while and then get bored with it. Sometimes those people end up in the Public House; sometimes they just go away. But if we don't continue to attract new brewers, the brewing forums will wither on the vine and there won't be anything left but the PH.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

I'm a newbie. My first beer, Ken's MLPA recipe, has been bottled and a couple will be tested this friday. The FAQ's are awesome. I am gonna try a partial mash on my next beer, and hopefully my hypothesis about the procedure (which should be a little different than the FAQ) will be correct and I will be able to contribute to the FAQ a more cut and dry method of figuring out your partial mash recipe. The experience on this board (and others) is great. I have learned a TON, and the generosity of knowledge has been a great experience.

#12 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:33 PM

I assume you guys registered your site with the search engines. I still need to do this myself with my site.

#13 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

They will come once the word gets out. There are a lot of nice guys here that will be missed by a lotof brewers who will come a looking. Eventually they'll find us.

#14 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

Or does this board seem noticeably 'higher level' in terms of the topics discussed? Not that I'm trying to toot our own horn here but I'm just saying I haven't seen any threads asking whether aluminum pots are okay to use or any other of the questions where the answer is "look it up yourself". I guess the level of experience is just generally higher, or maybe there haven't been a lot of novice brewers joining the board.What do you all think?

*thinks about posting AL vs SS thread over here that was in the lifeboat's beer section*

#15 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29314 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

I'm a newbie. My first beer, Ken's MLPA recipe, has been bottled and a couple will be tested this friday.

You should go to a TB Beers meeting, they meet at Dunderbaks. It is a nice club, with a lot of good brewers. I would be willing to say that some of the best brewers in the state belong to that club (based upon comp results). So it would be great way to learn a lot of techniques.

#16 sleepy

sleepy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

Have you ever thought about google bombing? <_< But seriously... I'm generally a lurker with most websites, I only posted a few times on the green board and I followed you guys over here. That being said, I think it would be a great disservice both to this board and to all of the up and coming brewers in years to follow if the blue board doesn't find a way to climb the google ranks. Whether that be by posting on other forums to let people know that we are here, or other means, I think it is both important and necessary. I mean, why go to all the trouble of starting a new forum if we can't get new members to be a part of the community (thus helping them and us become better brewers)<back to lurking mode>

#17 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:39 AM

I think this board will only grow and develop as time marches onward. I have noticed and thought in the past week or so that yes there are not many newbies asking the newbie questions and there does seem to be a lot more higher level topics too. I think its great to be honest. While the newbie questions don't bother me I think it might become more common as more people come online and find this great forum as well. I try and post whenever I feel I can contribute to the topic but there are plenty that are here that I just read and move on as well. I looked when this topic came up and was posted and noticed how many more members there are already too. I know the reliability of the members here is great and this is the first place I have and will come to in posting questions or ideas. It will move up the ranks I am sure, hey the name is catchy as well.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:15 AM

Is this a good place to ask why my bottles aren't carbing? :sarcasm: Oh... and when should I rack my beer to secondary? <_< When do I boil my yeast? :) I agree with all above... it's pleasant. Except one of my posts was modified & I'm feeling a bit big-brothered. :cheers:

#19 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

Or does this board seem noticeably 'higher level' in terms of the topics discussed?

Uh - Yah I guess. Until I read this thread. :) (j/k)I do not think we should underestimate the value of neophytes coming here and asking questions with what might seem to be obvious answers.All highly experienced brewers didn't know jack at one point. If we welcome everybody and treat all questions and comments with respect, and provide answers, this place will grow.Just one brewer's opinion.zymot

#20 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

Everyone was a newbie at some point...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users