#43 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Comptroller of BigAssMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43700 posts
  • Locationen route

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

I read somewhere (Beer Advocate?) that something already surpassed TNP's alcohol content.

#44 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68772 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

from the same brewery as TNP41 farking percent82 proof IIIIPA, going a little over board boyz?

#45 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34055 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

i almost had some of this friday. rare beer tour in chicago. they ran out before i could get there. the 18% tokio is pretty good, though.

#46 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:53 AM

i almost had some of this friday. rare beer tour in chicago. they ran out before i could get there. the 18% tokio is pretty good, though.

This!

#47 Tim the Enchanter

Tim the Enchanter

He Who Loves Pubic Flounces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts
  • LocationClimbin' in your windows, snatchin your people up.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:27 AM

These guys are apparently importing their ice beer here. I know it is illegal for home brewers to do this because it counts as distillation. I wonder if they'll have to sell it in liquor stores. linky pooCliff's Notes:

In November, BrewDog, a three-year-old Scottish microbrewery, released a new brand, dubbed Tactical Nuclear Penguin. The beer set a new record by weighing in at a scary 32% alcohol by volume (ABV), more than six times the strength of familiar domestic brands like Budweiser. As explained in a cheeky video on the company's website (warning: the clip contains simulated penguin sex), the brewery was able to attain the high alcohol content by freezing the beer at a local ice cream factory, at temperatures as low as -6°C (21°F), for 21 days. Alcohol freezes at lower temperatures than water, and removing water from the solution increased the alcohol concentration.

In December, BrewDog received a slap on the wrist from a British alcohol regulatory body, the Portman Group, which ordered that retailers pull the company's 18.2% Tokyo beer brand off shelves because of its marketing tactics. A note on the Tokyo label says, "It is all about moderation. Everything in moderation, including moderation itself. What logically follows is that you must, from time, have excess. This beer is for those times." After the beer was pulled, BrewDog came out with a 1.1% ABV brew meant to tame the critics. Its name: Nanny State.

The drinking games continued in February when a German brewer, Schorschbrau, released a 40% ABV beer called Schorschbock. The BrewDog boys fired back a few weeks later with high-octane concoction Sink the Bismarck!, which checks in at 41%, enough to reclaim the "world's strongest beer" mantle (the name is a not-so-subtle reference to the famous German battleship deployed during World War II).

#48 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34055 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:29 AM

wait for it...and i've had brewdog's tokio, 18%. very smoooooooth.

#49 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:55 AM

Now just age it in a Macallan cask, and I'll be set for life.

#50 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64253 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:28 AM

Lame.

#51 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31575 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

Has anyone here tried the ice technique to be able to comment about how it turned out? I've thought about making a Barleywine and trying this with it.

#52 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:54 AM

After the beer was pulled, BrewDog came out with a 1.1% ABV brew meant to tame the critics. Its name: Nanny State.

That's pretty funny :unsure:

#53 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1500 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

Has anyone here tried the ice technique to be able to comment about how it turned out? I've thought about making a Barleywine and trying this with it.

I did this unintentional once. Seriously. It was a regular IPA and I had my Sanyo set to low. I couldn't figure out why the pints off that beer were jackin me up until the keg kicked and I thought wow I went through that FAST. I pulled the keg out a couple days later and it weight more than it should. I popped the top and found a honeycomb of ice inside. Oops.No science involved.

#54 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31575 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

I did this unintentional once. Seriously. It was a regular IPA and I had my Sanyo set to low. I couldn't figure out why the pints off that beer were jackin me up until the keg kicked and I thought wow I went through that FAST. I pulled the keg out a couple days later and it weight more than it should. I popped the top and found a honeycomb of ice inside. Oops.No science involved.

:unsure: That would be freakin awesome! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users