#21 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:08 AM

aroma or bitterness?

Flavor/aroma. That's not to say it would be bad though. Like Howie said, it's your beer. But if you're planning on entering it in competitions, that recipe may put it out of style.

#22 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:06 AM

Flavor/aroma. That's not to say it would be bad though. Like Howie said, it's your beer. But if you're planning on entering it in competitions, that recipe may put it out of style.

I'm not but I may move some of the EKG to 30 min...

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

Is Magnum a common bittering hop in an English Ale? I used some in my Altbier and I think it's a nice hop. But I think that the higher alpha hops I see in EPAs are usually Challenger, Phoenix, etc. I like all of the lower alpha hops too... Styrian Golding, Kent Goldings, EKG, Fuggle, etc. Yum.

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

Is Magnum a common bittering hop in an English Ale? I used some in my Altbier and I think it's a nice hop. But I think that the higher alpha hops I see in EPAs are usually Challenger, Phoenix, etc. I like all of the lower alpha hops too... Styrian Golding, Kent Goldings, EKG, Fuggle, etc. Yum.

It's not but I kind of figured it was so neutral I could use it. Other than using more EKG the only other option I have that might work is Willamette. I was probably going to use magnum for bittering in my old ale as well but should I perhaps use something else?

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:43 PM

It's not but I kind of figured it was so neutral I could use it. Other than using more EKG the only other option I have that might work is Willamette. I was probably going to use magnum for bittering in my old ale as well but should I perhaps use something else?

No, I think the Magnum will be fine. It's a good neutral hop with high AA% and a non-assertive character. I still have some and I'm not sure what to do with them. I agree that for bittering, it's great in your recipe... save the EKGs for the finish where you can actually pick them up. Cheers.

#26 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:47 PM

No, I think the Magnum will be fine. It's a good neutral hop with high AA% and a non-assertive character. I still have some and I'm not sure what to do with them. I agree that for bittering, it's great in your recipe... save the EKGs for the finish where you can actually pick them up. Cheers.

Why not just use them for bittering? I've use it in AIPAs, ESB, and dunkelweizens.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:43 PM

Why not just use them for bittering? I've use it in AIPAs, ESB, and dunkelweizens.

Yep, that's my point.

#28 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:49 PM

Yep, that's my point.

okay :angry: :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users