24 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:24 AM

First off - where is London Ale II?Second off - has anyone used both of these and have any thoughts? I'm not sure I've ever had a "minerally" beer and I'm wondering what that tastes like.

YEAST STRAIN: 1028 | London Ale™Rich with a dry finish, minerally profile, bold and crisp, with some fruitiness. Often used for higher gravity ales and when a high level of attenuation is desired for the style.Origin:Flocculation: Medium-LowAttenuation: 73-77%Temperature Range: 60-72F, 15-22CAlcohol Tolerance: 10%ABVStyles: Brown Porter Dry Stout English Barleywine Foreign Extra Stout Mild Northern English Brown Ale Old Ale Robust Porter Russian Imperial Stout

YEAST STRAIN: 1318 | London Ale III™From traditional London brewery with great malt and hop profile. True top cropping strain, fruity, very light, soft balanced palate, finishes slightly sweet.Origin:Flocculation: highAttenuation: 71-75%Temperature Range: 64-74° F (18-23° C)Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABVStyles: American Amber Ale English Barleywine English IPA Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale) Mild Oatmeal Stout Old Ale Scottish Export 80/- Scottish Heavy 70/- Scottish Light 60/- Southern English Brown Special/Best/Premium Bitter Standard/Ordinary Bitter Sweet Stout

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:59 AM

Zym: I have not used 1318. 1028 does produce a beer that has a minerally profile with a slightly bready flavor. It does not drop quite as well as some of the other English strains which is why it attenuates a little better. You can ferment it warmer which will make it a little fruitier and you can go as low as 58-60° where it will produce a very smooth beer with a bit of that bready character. There are so many of these English ale yeasts that create wonderful and unique beers. My latest favorite is 1099 Whitbread that produces that same minerally-bready character but it also has a slight crackery flavor that I really like. The only real way to understand the differences is to make some beer with them. Also, White Labs Burton Ale (WLP023?) is probably THE most minerally yeast I have used. Cheers.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:12 AM

Zym: I have not used 1318. 1028 does produce a beer that has a minerally profile with a slightly bready flavor. It does not drop quite as well as some of the other English strains which is why it attenuates a little better. You can ferment it warmer which will make it a little fruitier and you can go as low as 58-60° where it will produce a very smooth beer with a bit of that bready character. There are so many of these English ale yeasts that create wonderful and unique beers. My latest favorite is 1099 Whitbread that produces that same minerally-bready character but it also has a slight crackery flavor that I really like. The only real way to understand the differences is to make some beer with them. Also, White Labs Burton Ale (WLP023?) is probably THE most minerally yeast I have used. Cheers.

Is there a common commercial beer that really shows off the minerally profile?

#4 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14758 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:31 AM

Is there a common commercial beer that really shows off the minerally profile?

Bass Ale comes to mind

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:32 AM

Bass Ale comes to mind

I haven't had bass in a while but I know I'm not a huge fan. I can't remember how it really tastes though...

#6 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:47 AM

I haven't had bass in a while but I know I'm not a huge fan. I can't remember how it really tastes though...

What about Samual Smith's or Fuller's. London Pride. what are you thinking of making.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:50 AM

What about Samual Smith's or Fuller's. London Pride. what are you thinking of making.

London pride is pretty good. Next time I'm at the British pub I'll have to order one and pay attention. I was going to make an ESB next followed by an Old Ale and I'd like to use the same yeast.

#8 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:01 AM

London pride is pretty good. Next time I'm at the British pub I'll have to order one and pay attention. I was going to make an ESB next followed by an Old Ale and I'd like to use the same yeast.

for the ESB I use the WLP002 and OR Wyeast Special ESB strain.I would think the old ale would do well off of the ESB round.are you wanting the brett in there too.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:03 AM

for the ESB I use the WLP002 and OR Wyeast Special ESB strain.I would think the old ale would do well off of the ESB round.are you wanting the brett in there too.

I wasn't planning on bretting this up. My only concern with the ESB yeast is that it won't attenuate enough for a high gravity beer.

#10 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:06 AM

I wasn't planning on bretting this up. My only concern with the ESB yeast is that it won't attenuate enough for a high gravity beer.

do you still have any Pac-man yeast? or the Imperial blend. High gravity.what would happen if you used the 002 or ESB as far as it would go but then added apink packet of US05. would that help bring the Final OG down a few more points.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:09 AM

do you still have any Pac-man yeast? or the Imperial blend. High gravity.what would happen if you used the 002 or ESB as far as it would go but then added apink packet of US05. would that help bring the Final OG down a few more points.

never had any pac-man or imperial blend (you must be thinking of someone else). I have no idea what would happen to US-05 if I threw it into beer that had fermented out on another yeast.

#12 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14758 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:12 AM

I have no idea what would happen to US-05 if I threw it into beer that had fermented out on another yeast.

Pretty much noting.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:14 AM

Pretty much noting.

too much alcohol would shock the yeast and it would do nothing?also - based on the BJCP guidelines it seems like an old ale should see about 74-75% attenuation but the wyeast website suggests some yeast strains that hit the wall before this point.

#14 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

never had any pac-man or imperial blend (you must be thinking of someone else). I have no idea what would happen to US-05 if I threw it into beer that had fermented out on another yeast.

The Imperial HG was a limited release but some folks wash and save.nope just asking a question.I have heard good things about the Pac-man. Rouge uses this on just about all of their beers.I guess that would be another question for another thread. :devil: good luck. it sounds like you'll be busy. have you made the Rye yet?

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:17 AM

The Imperial HG was a limited release but some folks wash and save.nope just asking a question.I have heard good things about the Pac-man. Rouge uses this on just about all of their beers.I guess that would be another question for another thread. :devil: good luck. it sounds like you'll be busy. have you made the Rye yet?

nope - check my sig for what I have planned...

#16 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14758 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:22 AM

too much alcohol would shock the yeast and it would do nothing?

Conventional wisdom says you'd have to pitch a very ACTIVE starter of the 2nd yeast. Pitching the yeast by itself wouldn't likely work well.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:33 AM

I was going to Say Bass too, but it's probably not a good choice for homebrewers... too bland, I think.Zym, I think the best bet would be to hit one of your local mega-liquor stores and pick up some English Ale that is not a household name. Adnams, Fuller's, whatever you can find that looks authentically English would give you a good feel for it.

#18 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

First off - where is London Ale II?Second off - has anyone used both of these and have any thoughts? I'm not sure I've ever had a "minerally" beer and I'm wondering what that tastes like.

what about the Wyeast 1968 London ESB.Product DescriptionHighly flocculant top-fermenting strain with rich, malty character and balanced fruitiness. This strain is so flocculant that additional aeration and agitation is needed. An excellent strain for cask-conditioned ales. Apparent attenuation: 67-71%. Flocculation: high. Optimum temp: 64°-72° FAdditional InformationManufacturer Wyeast Yeast Format Liquid Yeast Type Ale Yeast Origin/Influence British Isles Min Fermenting Temp 64 Max Fermenting Temp 72 Flocculation Very High Min Attenuation % 67 Max Attenuation % 71

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:03 AM

what about the Wyeast 1968 London ESB.Product DescriptionHighly flocculant top-fermenting strain with rich, malty character and balanced fruitiness. This strain is so flocculant that additional aeration and agitation is needed. An excellent strain for cask-conditioned ales. Apparent attenuation: 67-71%. Flocculation: high. Optimum temp: 64°-72° FAdditional InformationManufacturer Wyeast Yeast Format Liquid Yeast Type Ale Yeast Origin/Influence British Isles Min Fermenting Temp 64 Max Fermenting Temp 72 Flocculation Very High Min Attenuation % 67 Max Attenuation % 71

The possibly low attenuation of 1968 might not be ideal for the old ale I plan on making with whatever yeast I pick up.

#20 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

Ive used 1968 quite a bit and it produces a very fruity, sweet brew. It does drop like a rock and produces a nice clear ale.I'd try the 1028

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users