#61 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 26 February 2023 - 01:23 PM

I would think you'd want the bottom of the bag as close to the wort as you could get ti limit O2 pickup from draining the bag.

Yes, typically you slowly pull up the bag, let it drain in steps. When you are through draining the the bag, you want to pull it up above the kettle so you can move the to some place beyond the kettle.

#62 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 February 2023 - 01:42 PM

Yes, typically you slowly pull up the bag, let it drain in steps. When you are through draining the the bag, you want to pull it up above the kettle so you can move the to some place beyond the kettle.

this won't be an issue currently.  I only mash in that kettle.  I drain out of it into my BK.

#63 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 26 February 2023 - 01:53 PM

this won't be an issue currently.  I only mash in that kettle.  I drain out of it into my BK.

Then that is not BIAB. You have swapped a bag for a false bottom, a braid, etc.   :P

I built a frame for my BIAG set up. Made up of mostly 2x4 and it can break down and store.

I thought I made it tall enough. After using it a couple times, I decided to add an extension of about a foot and a half. I would have made it taller to begin with, but I had the goal that it break it down and have the parts fit in the trunk of my Camry.

Edited by zymot, 26 February 2023 - 01:54 PM.

#64 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 February 2023 - 02:26 PM

Then that is not BIAB. You have swapped a bag for a false bottom, a braid, etc.   :P

I built a frame for my BIAG set up. Made up of mostly 2x4 and it can break down and store.

I thought I made it tall enough. After using it a couple times, I decided to add an extension of about a foot and a half. I would have made it taller to begin with, but I had the goal that it break it down and have the parts fit in the trunk of my Camry.

I guess??  

so here it is rigged up with no grain obviously.  I assume the grain is only going to make it higher b/c it will bulge the sides of the bag out.  for ref the bottom of the bag is about even with the rivets (which I don't fill past)

lAf6Jbm.jpg

Edited by positiveContact, 26 February 2023 - 02:27 PM.

#65 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 February 2023 - 02:48 PM

for ref the kettle is 19" tall and about 18" diameter.  the eyehook is about 40" above the top of the kettle.

#66 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 February 2023 - 02:55 PM

what's funny is I thought I was mounting it higher than needed! :P

if I had to it wouldn't be hard to move it up nearly all the way to the ceiling (probably another 1.5-2') .  only the holes in the wall are lacking at this point.

also, given that I'm not really doing BIAB I could lift it out of the wort really slowly if I wanted to to minimize O2 pickup as Denny mentioned.  not a bad idea actually!

Edited by positiveContact, 26 February 2023 - 02:54 PM.

#67 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8886 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 26 February 2023 - 03:38 PM

I thought BIAB and the all in one systems operate on the assumption that hot side aeration is not a problem. Is there still a need to try and minimize it?

#68 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 February 2023 - 03:41 PM

I thought BIAB and the all in one systems operate on the assumption that hot side aeration is not a problem. Is there still a need to try and minimize it?

Depends on who you ask. I've had some really extreme HSA lately when my mash tun wouldn't drain so I had to manually strain the mash. Beers still tasted great. So my guess is it's usually not an issue for your typical home brewer.

But if I can minimize a little bit, why not? It won't cost me much.

Edited by positiveContact, 26 February 2023 - 03:41 PM.

#69 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 26 February 2023 - 03:54 PM

what's funny is I thought I was mounting it higher than needed! :P

if I had to it wouldn't be hard to move it up nearly all the way to the ceiling (probably another 1.5-2') .  only the holes in the wall are lacking at this point.

also, given that I'm not really doing BIAB I could lift it out of the wort really slowly if I wanted to to minimize O2 pickup as Denny mentioned.  not a bad idea actually!

I hope it works out for you.

When I designed my rig, I thought I had it all figured out. Eventually I decided it was worth it to increase height of the eye bolt. Turns out I added ~2 feet. More than I needed, but that is how much lumber I had available.

If you are a subscriber to LODO ideology and afraid of O2, BIAB is probably not the process for you.

It is funny when I watch videos of commercial brewing, I often see them disregarding LODO principles. I visited a friend that runs a commercial brewery. He was describing the transfer process and it raised Low O2 red flags. I asked him about Low O2. He asked, "Low oxygen brewing. What is that?" I explained the theory and the negative affects to him. He said he never noticed off flavors I described and nobody has ever complained his beer tastes like wet cardboard.

I the record, I try to avoid adding oxygen and HSA when I can. It can't hurt. But I do not jump through hoops and sweat it either.

#70 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 February 2023 - 03:56 PM

Is my guess regarding the bag not hanging as low when full of stuff correct?

#71 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22157 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 26 February 2023 - 06:38 PM

I'm not a technical guy but I'd assume it would be higher with the mass.

#72 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 26 February 2023 - 06:50 PM

I did what you did. I added a 5 pound tub PBW to stretch it out. I thought I left a few inches of space. It did not work out for me.

You built what you built. Give it a test drive and see how you like. It is not as if you will not make beer. After a couple batches, you can decide if you want to raise the pully. 

#73 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 February 2023 - 07:01 PM

I'm not a technical guy but I'd assume it would be higher with the mass.

I'll let you know!

#74 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 February 2023 - 12:25 PM

Yes. You should always do what seems reasonable to you to limit it.

#75 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 February 2023 - 04:23 PM

this does make me wonder what your typical BIABer does with their spent grain if they make 10+ gallon batches.  I guess the grain bag eventually gets light enough that you can easily just move it to go dump it somewhere?  otherwise it's just hanging over your kettle for the whole batch?

#76 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 27 February 2023 - 07:38 PM

I pull it up and over, out of the way and put it in a bucket or a spare kettle.

#77 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 05:08 AM

this does make me wonder what your typical BIABer does with their spent grain if they make 10+ gallon batches.  I guess the grain bag eventually gets light enough that you can easily just move it to go dump it somewhere?  otherwise it's just hanging over your kettle for the whole batch?

Place bus tub on top of kettle, lower in bag, move to floor, continue brew day and dispose of spent grain latter.  I would not want to brew with it hanging their.  The steam would cause it to continually drip back in and I would not want that.

#78 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 February 2023 - 05:26 AM

Got it. I'll have to look around to see if I have any totes or similar in case I need to do this later. As it stands now it shouldn't be an issue.

#79 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8886 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 28 February 2023 - 08:16 AM

Yes. You should always do what seems reasonable to you to limit it.

Seems a bit pointless when you are actively aerating the wort as it drips from the bag, or recirculating by spraying wort over the grain like some all-in-ones. If hot side O2 is bad, how do the beers not have problems? Or do you just have to drink fast?

#80 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 February 2023 - 09:51 AM

Seems a bit pointless when you are actively aerating the wort as it drips from the bag, or recirculating by spraying wort over the grain like some all-in-ones. If hot side O2 is bad, how do the beers not have problems? Or do you just have to drink fast?

I think you are starting to get it :lol:

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users