positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:09 AM

I'm considering it.

Pros: more foolproof draining/sparging, less grain absorption, possibly improved overall efficiency

Cons: Need to buy a bag, rig up a hoist over the mash tun, and worst of all.... cleaning the bag after.

Am I missing anything?  Am I off base with these assessments?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:28 AM

I understand your cons but I do not see them as issues.  I had a beam over my kettle so the hoist was easy.  Cleaning the bag is simple enough to just hose off.  I have bleached it to get stains out but nothing too bad.  I guess the oxygen added to the wort is an issue if you care.

I suggest one of these https://biabbags.webs.com/store

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:31 AM

I understand your cons but I do not see them as issues.  I had a beam over my kettle so the hoist was easy.  Cleaning the bag is simple enough to just hose off.  I have bleached it to get stains out but nothing too bad.  I guess the oxygen added to the wort is an issue if you care.

I suggest one of these https://biabbags.webs.com/store

has there been any real studies done on the "hot side aeration"?  I def just hot side aerated the shit out of my wort :D

eta:  but yeah, buying the extra stuff isn't a big deal.  making the hoist would actually be kind of fun.

Edited by postSingularityHumanoid, 02 December 2022 - 10:39 AM.

#4 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22133 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:46 AM

I got the Wilser Grand Slam package - very well made and lasts.I attach the pulley to the bag and suspend it from a ladder to drain before squeezing the shit out of it. Clean up is easy. I just dump the grain and hose it clean.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:54 AM

I got the Wilser Grand Slam package - very well made and lasts.I attach the pulley to the bag and suspend it from a ladder to drain before squeezing the shit out of it. Clean up is easy. I just dump the grain and hose it clean.

maybe these purpose made bags clean easier than something like a paint strainer bag?  I find myself flipping the thing in and out a bunch of times trying to get all of the grain bits out.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:57 AM

maybe these purpose made bags clean easier than something like a paint strainer bag?  I find myself flipping the thing in and out a bunch of times trying to get all of the grain bits out.

I think they do.  I hose it off and let dry and shake any particles left once dry.  Eazy Peazy

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:39 PM

so can I buy just the bag and the pulley?  I don't see the pulley by itself.  I could probably rig something up myself though.

also, how large of a bag can they make?  can they accommodate my 20 gallon mash tun?

Edited by postSingularityHumanoid, 02 December 2022 - 12:42 PM.

#8 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22133 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 02 December 2022 - 01:09 PM

so can I buy just the bag and the pulley? I don't see the pulley by itself. I could probably rig something up myself though.

also, how large of a bag can they make? can they accommodate my 20 gallon mash tun?

Absolutely, the owner of the company once posted a pic of one that was a couple hundreds of gallons. He will make any size.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16598 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 01:38 PM

I understand your cons but I do not see them as issues.  

Totally agree. Efficiency was ridiculously predictable when I step mashed to ensure complete conversion.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 December 2022 - 01:54 PM

Totally agree. Efficiency was ridiculously predictable when I step mashed to ensure complete conversion.

Is it possible to step mash without a pump? I've always done single infusion. Like can I direct fire my ss MT or do I need to be circulating?

Edited by postSingularityHumanoid, 02 December 2022 - 01:54 PM.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 07:31 PM

Is it possible to step mash without a pump? I've always done single infusion. Like can I direct fire my ss MT or do I need to be circulating?

I think you would need to do a lot of stirring. I have an old pump you can have you just need to buy a new head... About $40 last time I looked.

#12 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22133 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 02 December 2022 - 07:43 PM

I've always done single step mashes. And since my return to brewing, I've been keeping things simple. New changes that I've made, such as pressure fermentation, biab, and water chemistry, aren't difficult but my beer has been way better than in the past. KISS!

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16598 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 11:26 PM

I think you would need to do a lot of stirring. I have an old pump you can have you just need to buy a new head... About $40 last time I looked.

Yep just heat and stir. Pretty easy. The temp goes up pretty quickly.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 December 2022 - 05:11 AM

I'll let you know if I decide to go this route, thanks!

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 December 2022 - 05:16 AM

Yep just heat and stir. Pretty easy. The temp goes up pretty quickly.

I should carefully consider this new setup to allow for direct heating of the MT.

Right now I'm 100% gravity.  I start with my SQ14 up on a platform with my BK on it.  I heat the water, drain into my MT which is on a slightly lower counter.  while I mash I move the SQ14 down to the floor next to the counter so I can then drain into the BK from the MT when mashing is complete.  So right now I can't accommodate direct firing my MT unless I also used it as my BK. 

this might mean I'd need two different hoist locations.  one for when I'm mashing and boiling in my 20 gallon MT and one for when I'm using my setup like I do in the description above (separate BK and MT vessels).

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 December 2022 - 05:20 AM

just a general question but are you guys at all concerned with the O2 aspect of BIAB?  I don't take special precautions to avoid O2 but I probably don't pick up as much as a BIAB brewing might.  Probably the worst thing I do is I just straight up dump my (batch) sparge water on top of the grain.  lot's of splashing and lot's of bubbles as the sparge water works its way into all of the nooks and crannies.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 06:20 AM

just a general question but are you guys at all concerned with the O2 aspect of BIAB? I don't take special precautions to avoid O2 but I probably don't pick up as much as a BIAB brewing might. Probably the worst thing I do is I just straight up dump my (batch) sparge water on top of the grain. lot's of splashing and lot's of bubbles as the sparge water works its way into all of the nooks and crannies.

I do what I can to minimize but the draining is obviously not good. I was always happy with the product but I am sure the zealots would cringe and scold me.

#18 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19041 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 03 December 2022 - 07:50 AM

What are you all doing for a step mash protocol? I could easily do that with my Anvil with recirculating pump. Start at 140 and heat to 165-170? I get about 1 degree/minute so could essentially just do the entire mash as a temperature increase (typically I mash for 45 minutes).

#19 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9741 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:24 AM

I’m confused about how doing biab might cause O2 problems

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 10:21 AM

I’m confused about how doing biab might cause O2 problems

As you pull up the bag to drain you introduce splashing and a O2 nightmare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users