#21 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

I've canned a few batches, and that works well, but the problem is when I make a starter it's a gallon at least. For that I'd rather just mash a pound or so of grain in the coffeemaker.

I seldom go over .625 gallons for a starter (with a stirplate), and have a setup for making a single AG starter. If I need more yeast I'll usually brew something else first and harvest. This just seemed the way to go when I need to propagate and don't want to spend much time. I may say it's a major pain a year from now though... Posted Image And I'm sure there will be some cooking done in it too.......Posted Image

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

I've canned a few batches, and that works well, but the problem is when I make a starter it's a gallon at least. For that I'd rather just mash a pound or so of grain in the coffeemaker.

Why are you making such large starters?

#23 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

I think you're wrong. See the other thread for my reasoning.

No, what we are trying to accomplish is to kill botulism spores. We don't care about anything gelling, you are confusing two different topics. Botulism is more easily killed in high acid foods. That's it, and that's why you can get by with water bath canning when processing low acid foods. First bullet point right here:https://www.uga.edu/...nned_foods.htmlA little more searching will prove to you that it is the acid content that matters.From the UGA site (National Center for Home Food Preparation):

Whether food should be processed in a pressure canner or boiling-water canner to control botulinum bacteria depends on the acidity of the food (emphasis mine). Acidity may be natural, as in most fruits, or added, as in pickled food. Low-acid canned foods are not acidic enough to prevent the growth of these bacteria. Acid foods contain enough acid to block their growth, or destroy them more rapidly when heated. The term "pH" is a measure of acidity; the lower its value, the more acid the food. The acidity level in foods can be increased by adding lemon juice, citric acid, or vinegar.Low-acid foods have pH values higher than 4.6. They include red meats, seafood, poultry, milk, and all fresh vegetables except for most tomatoes. Most mixtures of low-acid and acid foods also have pH values above 4.6 unless their recipes include enough lemon juice, citric acid, or vinegar to make them acid foods. Acid foods have a pH of 4.6 or lower. They include fruits, pickles, sauerkraut, jams, jellies, marmalades, and fruit butters.

So in summary, wort is a low acid food and needs to be pressure canned to be safe.

Edited by stangbat, 04 December 2009 - 06:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users