#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

I picked up a 21 qt All American today off craigslist. Any tips on canning starter wort?

#2 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14755 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

Be prepared that it's kind of a long process. The manual with my canner says liquids and dressings should be canned at 15psi for 30 minutes, so that's what I do. Takes 15 minutes or more to reach the proper pressure, 30 to process, and then 15-30 for it to cool. If you are doing multiple batches, it can make for a long day!

#3 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:55 PM

Be prepared that it's kind of a long process. The manual with my canner says liquids and dressings should be canned at 15psi for 30 minutes, so that's what I do. Takes 15 minutes or more to reach the proper pressure, 30 to process, and then 15-30 for it to cool. If you are doing multiple batches, it can make for a long day!

Yeah, I figured as much but it'll only be a couple times a year. Do you use quart or pint jars?

#4 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14755 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

Yeah, I figured as much but it'll only be a couple times a year. Do you use quart or pint jars?

Mainly quarts. I did a few pints in case I needed to build up a really old smack pack or something.I did pints back when I only had a little pressure cooker/canner. When you need to do a 3 liter starter, you find those pints go too quickly!

#5 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

Over the years I have found that 15 minutes is fine for starters at 15psi. I do a 10 to 1 metric. About 750ml distilled water in a quart jar; 75 grams on DME; a pinch of yeast nutrient. Use a small whisk for a quick mix, put a lid and band on-- and load 'em up in the pressure cooker. Have had jars up two two years old-- in perfect shape. You'll never go back after you start using a pressure cooker. :(

#6 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:10 AM

21 quart pressure canners make great pot stills :(

#7 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:21 AM

Yea I let mine process for 20, but 15 would probably be fine. I will often do it at night and just let it cool over night. A full canner that size will hold heat for a while.If you don't mind my asking how much did you pay for that rascal? I have been wanting a bigger one like that but they are breathtakingly expensive.

#8 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:40 AM

The process time I've read for wort is 15 minutes at 15 psi. At our altitude, I think this is fine.Have you canned stuff before, DJ? The main thing to be concerned with is that you get all the air exhausted from the canner and that you keep your pressure up for the entire process time.The All American canners are dial gauge models, right? (As opposed to weighted gauge.)

#9 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

Yea I let mine process for 20, but 15 would probably be fine. I will often do it at night and just let it cool over night. A full canner that size will hold heat for a while.If you don't mind my asking how much did you pay for that rascal? I have been wanting a bigger one like that but they are breathtakingly expensive.

$80 , but it'll last forever and doesn't need a gasket

The process time I've read for wort is 15 minutes at 15 psi. At our altitude, I think this is fine.Have you canned stuff before, DJ? The main thing to be concerned with is that you get all the air exhausted from the canner and that you keep your pressure up for the entire process time.The All American canners are dial gauge models, right? (As opposed to weighted gauge.)

Haven't canned before, this one had a prv but I ordered a weight. Yeah, read about the venting - odd, autoclaves don't need that.

#10 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:29 AM

$80 , but it'll last forever and doesn't need a gasketHaven't canned before, this one had a prv but I ordered a weight. Yeah, read about the venting - odd, autoclaves don't need that.

From what I've read, you want all the air gone so that you only have steam inside. I guess you can get things hotter that way. I'm no microbiologist, but it is probably more important because botulism spores are so hard to kill. Normal pathogens would be long dead.Are you thinking of making the wort from a mash or using extract? Are you going to be doing this on your stove or outside over a propane burner? Just curious because I'm set up here with NG and a couple of burners. I need to can wort again sometime.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:48 AM

https://www.brews-bros.xyz/index.php/topic/3026-pressure-canning-starter-wort/you're welcome

#12 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

Are you going to be doing this on your stove or outside over a propane burner? Just curious because I'm set up here with NG and a couple of burners. I need to can wort again sometime.

I don't know about DJ's and your models, but my pressure caner has all sorts of big warnings to not use it on the big outdoor burners.

#13 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

From what I've read, you want all the air gone so that you only have steam inside. I guess you can get things hotter that way. I'm no microbiologist, but it is probably more important because botulism spores are so hard to kill. Normal pathogens would be long dead.Are you thinking of making the wort from a mash or using extract? Are you going to be doing this on your stove or outside over a propane burner? Just curious because I'm set up here with NG and a couple of burners. I need to can wort again sometime.

Probably a 20 min mash and batch sparge. We have a gas stove so I'll probably try it inside. But if we want to organize a wort canning day I'm up for it.

Edited by dj in kc, 04 December 2009 - 10:45 AM.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

https://www.brews-br...g-starter-wort/you're welcome

I remembered that one, been looking for the canner for quite a while.

#15 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14755 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

I don't know about DJ's and your models, but my pressure caner has all sorts of big warnings to not use it on the big outdoor burners.

I use mine on my little Coleman stove. I'd be afraid to try it on the glasstop stove inside.

#16 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

I use mine on my little Coleman stove. I'd be afraid to try it on the glasstop stove inside.

We do all of our canning inside on our glasstop stove with a 23qt canner.

#17 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

Probably a 20 min mash and batch sparge. We have a gas stove so I'll probably try it inside. But if we want to organize a wort canning day I'm up for it.

Im up for a canning day. Im out and need some for Spring Brew Season.

#18 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:24 PM

Count me in. Now that football season is over I can play catch-up on my brewing chores. I have grain and can get some jars and lids.

#19 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

That's just because they don't want people setting them on a 100k BTU turkey fryer and blowing them up. If you watch the heat, it doesn't matter. Kind of a PITA with a big burner though.

Is the sugar content of starters not enough to only do a hot-water bath?

It's not the sugar content that matters. It is the acidity. And no, you aren't supposed to use the water bath method for starter wort because it is low acidity. There is another thread on the front page somewhere about this I think.

#20 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9175 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

Mainly quarts. I did a few pints in case I needed to build up a really old smack pack or something.I did pints back when I only had a little pressure cooker/canner. When you need to do a 3 liter starter, you find those pints go too quickly!

I've canned a few batches, and that works well, but the problem is when I make a starter it's a gallon at least. For that I'd rather just mash a pound or so of grain in the coffeemaker.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users