#41 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65161 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 May 2023 - 11:22 AM

Long time reader, long time poster. Building a mage is more complicated/rewarding in a lot of games. Then playing them is an art in of itself as all the buffs and spells are a specific series of events to maximize efficacy.

That's why i play everything as a swordsman. Even shooters.

There was a lot of learning during that playthrough as well so it was a combo of figuring out this style of game and trying to build a more complex character.

Probably why I love "Paladin" builds. Start with sword, get magic later. :P I don't know if this is an option in Elden Rings.

I used a sword a lot as i was building up the spell casting ability. I think I would’ve given up on the game if I was forced to use magic 100% of the time.

#42 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61103 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 16 May 2023 - 11:23 AM

I love that kind of immersion and play-style/character build curve. Problem with me is finding a stretch of time to enjoy it. So playing in short, 5 min bursts means i just gotta mash and giggle at the kills. Then i get up and wipe some gd ass.

#43 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65161 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 February 2024 - 04:35 PM

Elden Ring DLC ready for pre-order. Drops 6/21.

Edited by 3rd party JKor, 21 February 2024 - 04:36 PM.

#44 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61103 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 21 February 2024 - 04:40 PM

errrmmmgrrddtree

#45 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65161 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 February 2024 - 07:30 AM

Despite early troubles this is actually the only game i’ve played since 2022. Mostly early 2023. I haven’t played much in the last year-ish until the last few weeks. I wanted to play the new Zelda but my son lost our Switch so not sure when i’ll be playing that one.

The learning curve for this gaming is totally insane if you haven’t played souls-like games (i didn’t even know there was a “souls-like” genre of games when i started). On my first play through it took me 50 hrs to clear the first area (with two main bosses out of 15) and 300+ to finish the game. Once i figured out how to effectively build a character and had familiarity with the storyline of the game (which is surprisingly unclear when you start the game) i was able to beat the entire game in under 15 hrs. I definitely didn’t have the game figured out after that first 300hrs either. Probably took until my somewhere in my third playthrough where everything was clicking. That was over 500 hrs of gameplay. I can’t say i didn’t get my money’s worth out of this game.

#46 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61103 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 24 February 2024 - 11:27 AM

Despite early troubles this is actually the only game i’ve played since 2022. Mostly early 2023. I haven’t played much in the last year-ish until the last few weeks. I wanted to play the new Zelda but my son lost our Switch so not sure when i’ll be playing that one.

The learning curve for this gaming is totally insane if you haven’t played souls-like games (i didn’t even know there was a “souls-like” genre of games when i started). On my first play through it took me 50 hrs to clear the first area (with two main bosses out of 15) and 300+ to finish the game. Once i figured out how to effectively build a character and had familiarity with the storyline of the game (which is surprisingly unclear when you start the game) i was able to beat the entire game in under 15 hrs. I definitely didn’t have the game figured out after that first 300hrs either. Probably took until my somewhere in my third playthrough where everything was clicking. That was over 500 hrs of gameplay. I can’t say i didn’t get my money’s worth out of this game.

So i should put 500 hours into it? I was gonna carve out some time for my omnivourous dystrophian future story, but I could stand to do some ring.

#47 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65161 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 February 2024 - 03:01 PM

Definitely. I have no experience with other souls games so maybe some of my interest is just due to the novelty but i’m able to play through over and over with minimal loss of interest. I think i’ve done 9-10 playthroughs now.

#48 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65161 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 June 2024 - 02:47 PM

DLC is out. Pros rage quitting already.

https://www.reddit.c...erm=1&rdt=52945

#49 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14078 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 August 2024 - 02:14 PM

I just installed the game again. Never have finished it, I always lost focus at the second half.

Giving it another shot. Think I might do a strength build, maybe Bloodhound's Fang as a second option?

I like the idea of using a big fuck all hammer lol

#50 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65161 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 September 2024 - 12:10 PM

I just installed the game again. Never have finished it, I always lost focus at the second half.

Giving it another shot. Think I might do a strength build, maybe Bloodhound's Fang as a second option?

I like the idea of using a big fuck all hammer lol

Did you get anywhere with it?

Kind of funny looking back at my early posts on this game. I really struggled at the beginning. I’ve since beaten the game at least 10 times. It really took me until like the third or fourth playthrough to feel like I really got the game. I’ve done 100% boss runs, 100% solo runs and a Level 1 run up to Fire Giant. That’s where I put it down a few weeks ago. I might be done with the game altogether. The idea of fighting many of the end game bosses on Level 1 is not very appealing to me.

Once you get used to the slow attack animation on the colossal greatsword it’s a pretty ridiculous weapon and when it’s fully leveled up you just steamroll everything. Put Giant’s Hunt AoW on it and the game isn’t even fair.

I think maybe the most fun build was dual wield halberd. The combination of damage and range is just plain silly.

In general, hammers and great hammers are awesome weapons. I did a run with the Brick Hammer. That was fun although not much range, lotsa whiffing.

Ultimately I gave up on the DLC final boss. I only fought him like 5-ish times but it was so absurd I just didn’t have any motivation to continue. Even playing the game over the last few months i haven’t had any motivation to go back and try. They nerfed a bunch of his moves just recently, apparently. Maybe more reasonable now but I just can’t bring myself to try.

This is literally the only video game I’ve played since 2022. And I’ve played it a lot.

Edited by No Party JKor, 28 September 2024 - 12:11 PM.

#51 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61103 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 28 September 2024 - 12:40 PM

Have you left the house at all in the past two years?

#52 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65161 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 September 2024 - 06:17 PM

Have you left the house at all in the past two years?

Unfortunately

#53 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61103 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 29 September 2024 - 03:47 AM

That's why you didn't beat the DLC final boss

#54 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65161 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 October 2024 - 07:12 AM

Truth

#55 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14078 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 October 2024 - 09:27 AM

Did you get anywhere with it?

Yeah, I actually ended up beating the game with it. Was mowing through the first three bosses of NG+ switching between a DMGS build and a pure strength hammer build. I can't help but live the colossal weapons best.

Ended up making a new Faith character. Was aiming for pyromancer but it's all over the place. Doing a shield and Codex Sword counter style and spamming Black Flame spells

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users