#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 November 2022 - 02:57 PM

I’m making some progress but it definitely a very tedious game. I’ll keep playing but i have a hard time seeing myself finishing the game.

#23 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19060 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 13 November 2022 - 04:02 PM

Try Outer Wilds, I posted a thread on it. It's got to be in my top three games ever. Maybe the best. Read the reviews though to see if it's your style.

#24 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 November 2022 - 07:35 PM

That might be a good pivot. I’m 20+ hours into this game and I can’t even last 10 seconds in against any area boss. I get slaughtered instantly and get maybe 5% HP out of the boss. My general battle skills against run of the mill enemies has gotten much better but all of the bosses seems to be ratcheted up 10 notches from the other enemies you face in the game.

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 November 2022 - 02:03 PM

At this point i’ve just been harvesting runes to try to level up. It’s a very long process. My initial take on this game seems to be endlessly reinforced…tedious. Incredibly tedious. I’ve seen some comments about the average time to completion for this game being around 45 hours. I doubt i’ll even complete the first area in that amount of time. I’m not that far off from 45hrs and i still can’t make it to the final boss. The preliminary boss in the first area’s “castle” is still too much for me. The drive to continue the game gets less and less as time passes.

Edited by 3rd party JKor, 20 November 2022 - 02:03 PM.

#26 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:25 AM

The designers of this game must have a team working full time on different ways that they can arrange enemies to ambush you.

#27 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59201 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:03 AM

I haven't gone near elden, but i picked up Kingdom Come: Deliverance on the recent steam sale. It has its rough edges, but i am enjoying it a lot more than I thought i would. It's immersive, strong character development. Well researched for historical setting and minutia. 

#28 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:30 AM

The big thing I don’t like about ER is the lack of story line and character development. It technically exists but is entirely secondary to the progression in the game. Story and character development is what made games like BOTW, AC Valhalla and Witcher 3 much more fun for me.

#29 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 December 2022 - 08:45 AM

Another big miss in the game design is that as you progress through the game the amount you level up in a given area isn't even close to on par for what's required to move to the next area.  You end up having to spend hours and hours defeating the same enemies over and over and over again to gain runes to get your character leveled up enough to effectively fight the run-of-the-mill enemies (let alone bosses) in the next more difficult area.  I guess that's part of the "charm" of From Software games (from what I'm seeing in the forums) but it just seems like crappy design to me.

#30 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59201 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 09 December 2022 - 08:48 AM

Grind game to git gud at grinding game to get guuder. 

#31 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 December 2022 - 09:09 AM

Yeah, i get it. Still…kinda stupid.

#32 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 December 2022 - 12:00 PM

I mean…i can see how the pain is an acquired taste but still…

#33 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 January 2023 - 07:57 AM

Until recently, I hadn't really spent much time watching any kind of video tutorials or video content on the game.  I've just started recently as I've gotten to more spots that are difficult to get through (or even know where to go next).  I've definitely come to appreciate the complexity of the world design but I hadn't appreciated the breadth of weapons and move sets until I started watching some other people play.  There's a truly insane number of weapons and different moves for those weapons.  I guess it probably picks up a lot from past From Software games but it's still impressive.

#34 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 January 2023 - 09:53 AM

I've become Elden Lord.  It was a good game.  I see why many people are very into it but it was still more tedious than fun for me.  Apparently there are 5 different endings you can unlock on successive playthroughs but I'm probably just going to put it down.  All the time spent re-playing areas because you got killed or ambushed by some low level enemies is very frustrating and doesn't really have much of a point other than wasting your time.  One of the best things is the community, lots of forums and the in-game online portions are very cool and make the game much better.  I'd recommend it with the caveats above.

#35 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 January 2023 - 10:02 AM

This sums it up pretty well.  Lotta inside joke/meme content here but it gives you the feel.

#36 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 January 2023 - 02:19 PM

If anyone plans to start playing and have not played a game made by From Software, post here for tips.  There's is so much stuff that you will miss, important stuff, if you just dive right in.  Some of it you will figure out later, someone will just be missed for good.  I'll try to give you a head start.  I probably would've saved 100 hrs of gameplay (most of that 100 hrs was just frustration) with maybe a dozen good beginner tips before I started.

#37 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:27 PM

Amendment to my previous comments: in retrospect a lot of my frustration came from starting off as a sorcerer. I had no clue at the outset (or even when i finally finished the game) that characters relying on spell casting are much tougher to build. I only really learned this after starting a new game focusing on melee stats. It was so much easier, especially at the beginning of the game. By the end the spell casting build can be stronger but it takes twice as long to level up the character and seek out spells which are hidden all over the world. With a melee build you can find a weapon right out of the gate that you can use the whole game. Anyway, i guess i’ll just continue talking to myself here. :)

#38 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59201 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 16 May 2023 - 02:59 AM

Long time reader, long time poster. Building a mage is more complicated/rewarding in a lot of games. Then playing them is an art in of itself as all the buffs and spells are a specific series of events to maximize efficacy.

That's why i play everything as a swordsman. Even shooters.

#39 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14966 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:00 AM

Long time reader, long time poster. Building a mage is more complicated/rewarding in a lot of games. Then playing them is an art in of itself as all the buffs and spells are a specific series of events to maximize efficacy.

That's why i play everything as a swordsman. Even shooters.

Probably why I love "Paladin" builds.  Start with sword, get magic later. :P  I don't know if this is an option in Elden Rings. 

#40 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59201 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:15 AM

Most games i try to go without magic. I also button mash. Because im angry. So gd angry. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users