#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

Planning on an AG brew session Friday night to get an empty keg filled and ready for summer. Any way you cut it, I'll have to go to the LHBS to pick up a few supplies. For base grains, I have American 2 Row and Marris Otter. I also have plenty of Mt. Hood for hops, but am not beyond buying something else.I'm interested in either a Spotted Cow or a Fat Tire. I'm guessing the Fat Tire recipe will be easier to formulate given the New Glarus keeps the SC recipe closely guarded. But I'm looking for something to sway me one way or the other... and need to be swayed quickly so I can prep everything by Thursday night.Thoughts? Comments? Recipes?

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

I've never had Spotted Cow but I've had Fat Tire. So I'd brew Spotted Cow.

#3 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

can't help you with a SC recipe, but Hophead's "Flat Ass Tired" on the *cough* other board *cough* is very nearly spot on! I've brewed it and it's excellent.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

I have had the Fat Tire. It was alright and never had the SC so I say give the SC a try see what you can do.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

I'm torn between two commercial beers that I really like and enjoy. Just wish I could get inside the head of the owner of New Glarus to find out what is in the Spotted Cow. I am leaning towards the Fat Tire because a recipe would be easier to formulate based on the info that is out there. But I wouldn't mind seeing a discussion on the Spotted Cow, and what goes into it, for those that have had it. When I go back to Wisconsin this summer, I'll probably be drinking that exclusively.

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31557 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

I've never really cared for Fat Tire, so I'd try the spotted cow just because of that.

#7 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

I made the Northern Brewer AG kit (recipe posted on their website) of the Phat Tyre and it was excellent- better than Spotted Cow I think... though I must admit that I haven't had a Spotted Cow since leaving Sturgeon Bay, WI 3 years ago- so, my memory may be off.

#8 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

Never been a fan of Fat Tire, love most everything from New Glarus, so I'd vote for the Spotted Cow... don't have a recipe but I believe it is supposed to be a cream ale IIRC... so I'd start there...

#9 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

Ive always been a fan of the Fat Tire. I agree that its not as good as it used to be, but i really enjoy the Flat Ass Tired clone recipe from Hophead. I just brewed my second batch on Saturday. Im hoping that it is ready by the time the first keg drains. I'd recommend the Fat Tire, but thats just me.

#10 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hahaha. Me too.

#11 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

I had a Fat Tire last night for the first time in about two years. And as soon as I took my first sip, I remembered why I haven't had Fat Tire in two years. It's not good.

#12 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

+1

#13 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Fat Tire uses Willamette hops, for the record.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

Well, then we can't blame it on that. I really don't care for the current version of FT, and don't remember the other version that well. It was OK is all I recall, not great

#15 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

Probably not the sole hop, but at least the prominent variety.

#16 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

Not crazy about Fat tire beer but sure love the Bike. My wife got me the neon for X-mas and proudly displayed in my Man CavePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

Some time ago, i emailed New Belgium and just came right and asked what they put in their Fat Tire. I received an email back from a gentleman who shall remain nameless. He told me this: He couldnt give out the recipe, but the specialty malts are Munich, Caramel, and Victory. He said the hops were Golding and Willamette. He also told me that he pulled the yeast out to give to Wyeast when they released their special 'Fat Tire' yeast. Like i said this was some time ago, almost years.

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

Some time ago, i emailed New Belgium and just came right and asked what they put in their Fat Tire. I received an email back from a gentleman who shall remain nameless. He told me this: He couldnt give out the recipe, but the specialty malts are Munich, Caramel, and Victory. He said the hops were Golding and Willamette. He also told me that he pulled the yeast out to give to Wyeast when they released their special 'Fat Tire' yeast. Like i said this was some time ago, almost years.

Ok, I've decided to go with the Fat Tire over the Spotted Cow for now. I have accounted for those three malts in the grain bill, but am working out the hops. I have a ton of Mt. Hood that I would like to use, but am flexible to obtain others. Thoughts?

#19 *_Guest_hophead_*

*_Guest_hophead_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:54 AM

He also told me that he pulled the yeast out to give to Wyeast when they released their special 'Fat Tire' yeast.

I tried the VSS Fat Tire yeast and honestly I think Wyeast#1272 works better. I developed 'Flat Ass Tired' years ago (Sept 2004) as a challenge since so many brewers had tried and failed. I thought Fat Tire was a decent beer back then, but have no idea what it tastes like these days....

#20 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

The Fat Tire clone we brew is a favorite of our friends who come from out west and are not able to get it here in Florida. Even though some folks don't like it, or call it pedestrian, it's a great "house brew." Not sure who created the recipe we base ours on, but we post it on our website as we make changes to it. Even experienced Fat Tire enthusiasts have a hard time deciding which one is the real one in blind tastings. And yeah, we bought the glasses and the tap handle to finish the effect. We call it "Mt Alafia Amber Ale" now that we are going away from the exact Fat Tire clone, trying to make it more like Boulder Beer's "Singletrack" with a bit more sweetness and body.Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users