33 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 05:36 AM

so personally I have not generally liked mangos in beer.  you know how an underride mango can make your mouth feel almost dry or something?  not sure how to describe it.  I get that same sensation with the mango beers I've had but hopefully this isn't always the case.  my sample size is very small.  probably a couple of craft fruity IPA type beers.

Could be why I see mango and vanilla combined.  Maybe the vanilla helps some?

#22 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22155 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:51 AM

It's what my wife requested. Hopefully, it sucks and she won't ask me to make it again. I suggested a bunch of tropical hops for flavoring.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2021 - 08:12 AM

It's what my wife requested. Hopefully, it sucks and she won't ask me to make it again. I suggested a bunch of tropical hops for flavoring.

I've enjoyed some berry type sour beers.

#24 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 March 2021 - 07:31 AM

So far the apa, what was the hop schedule like.

It was a 10 gallon batch. The hops were:

1 oz. Citra FWH

2.65 oz. Citra 60

1.75 oz. Galaxy 10

1.75 oz. Galaxy 5

1.75 oz. Galaxy 0

Another thing that might be a factor is that I'm using a SS mesh tube to put the hops in during the boil. It's about 3-4" in diameter and almost the depth of my kettle. I wonder if that's not allowing enough of the hoppy goodness to get into the boiling wort.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2021 - 07:40 AM

needs more hops at 0 and later.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 07:44 AM

It was a 10 gallon batch. The hops were:

1 oz. Citra FWH

2.65 oz. Citra 60

1.75 oz. Galaxy 10

1.75 oz. Galaxy 5

1.75 oz. Galaxy 0

Another thing that might be a factor is that I'm using a SS mesh tube to put the hops in during the boil. It's about 3-4" in diameter and almost the depth of my kettle. I wonder if that's not allowing enough of the hoppy goodness to get into the boiling wort.

I have two of those SS things in my basement that collect dust.  I just was never happy with the resulting beers.

This is just me but I would move all those 60 minute additions to a whirlpool or dryhop.  I personally ditched a 60 minute boil years ago for 30 minutes and have not looked back.  My beers have not suffered.

needs more hops at 0 and later.

Agree.  The current 6.5g APA I am working on has 10 oz and they start at 15 minutes.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2021 - 07:45 AM

I hop at the start of the boil or FWH and after that I rarely hop any sooner than 0 mins :P

I know this goes against how things are historically done but I figure I either want bitterness or as much taste/aroma as possible.

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 07:50 AM

I hop at the start of the boil or FWH and after that I rarely hop any sooner than 0 mins :P

I know this goes against how things are historically done but I figure I either want bitterness or as much taste/aroma as possible.

30 is as soon as I add them :)

#29 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 March 2021 - 08:32 AM

I have two of those SS things in my basement that collect dust.  I just was never happy with the resulting beers.

That's good to know. I used to use a spider and I will try going back to that next time I do a hoppy beer and see if that makes a difference.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2021 - 09:23 AM

That's good to know. I used to use a spider and I will try going back to that next time I do a hoppy beer and see if that makes a difference.

I have a tube but mine sounds like it's wider.  at least 6", maybe 7 or 8?  it probably has some affect but not too much I don't think.  I've been using it for years now.

#31 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:07 PM

I think mine's 4". I just looked on Utah Biodiesel -- where I got it from -- and 4" is the smallest they sell. I'll verify that next time I'm down in the basement. Also the mesh is really fine.

I've tried every gadget known to man to separate hops from wort and I haven't found one that I'd consider ideal. This one is by far the most convenient but I've always wondered how much it impacts the hop utilization.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:25 PM

I think mine's 4". I just looked on Utah Biodiesel -- where I got it from -- and 4" is the smallest they sell. I'll verify that next time I'm down in the basement. Also the mesh is really fine.

I've tried every gadget known to man to separate hops from wort and I haven't found one that I'd consider ideal. This one is by far the most convenient but I've always wondered how much it impacts the hop utilization.

I find that a good whirlpool and step bottom kettle do a good job.  Granted I am leaving a half gallon behind but I plan for that.

#33 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:30 PM

I find that a good whirlpool and step bottom kettle do a good job.  Granted I am leaving a half gallon behind but I plan for that.

I'm a little paranoid about getting hop particles in my plate chiller.

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:45 PM

I'm a little paranoid about getting hop particles in my plate chiller.

That makes sense.  I use a cfc so no issues. 

Edited by HVB, 12 March 2021 - 12:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users