33 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:49 AM

For me , lately, it has been dark beers.  I dream of a nice rich porter but the one I brewed in January is more like a brown ale.  I know that one was more of a thrown together beer so I have to put more thought into my next one.  I have also noticed my dark beers have a similar flavor that I just do not like.  I will taste the porter later and provide more of a description of the flavor but it is defiantly a "house" flavor that I could do with going away.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:28 AM

For me , lately, it has been dark beers.  I dream of a nice rich porter but the one I brewed in January is more like a brown ale.  I know that one was more of a thrown together beer so I have to put more thought into my next one.  I have also noticed my dark beers have a similar flavor that I just do not like.  I will taste the porter later and provide more of a description of the flavor but it is defiantly a "house" flavor that I could do with going away.

hmmm - I've been a little hit or miss with hoppy beers lately.  part of it is that there are so many good commercial examples out there now.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:37 AM

hmmm - I've been a little hit or miss with hoppy beers lately.  part of it is that there are so many good commercial examples out there now.

I hear you on so many good ones.  I like a lot but still try and get my perfect one at home.  I really want something that is in the middle of the offerings these days.  Some are just too much on both hops and mouthfeel for me.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:00 AM

I think my favorite porter I've made as of late was the one where I used the castle chocolate malt.

17lbs 2-row

3lbs MO (could probably use GP or pale ale malt as well)

2lbs castle chocolate malt

2oz black patent

8oz C80

mashed at 153F

final water was 60ppm Ca, 58ppm sulfate and 90ppm chloride

bittered to a total of about 46 IBU  (30 min addition was columbus/willy)

put 1oz of columbus and 2oz of willy in at flameout

fermented on BRY-97 but you could probably use a lot of different yeasts and it would work just fine.

#5 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22138 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:42 AM

I've never done a sour. Probably because I don't care for them that much. But my wife has been requesting one, so that's what I'm brewing today. I'm gonna give that Philly Sour yeast a try.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:50 AM

I've never done a sour. Probably because I don't care for them that much. But my wife has been requesting one, so that's what I'm brewing today. I'm gonna give that Philly Sour yeast a try.

what is your plan on that?  Berliner Weisse like or one of the new fruited sours?  The only ones I have done have been more traditional Flanders Reds and Lambic but they take a looooooong time.

#7 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22138 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:45 PM

It's a blank canvas at this point. Sort of a Berliner Weisse, just a bit stronger (1.049 OG). I know my wife would prefer a fruit addition but I'd rather not do it. She said she'll be fine with the traditional Berlin syrups but I know she really wants fruit added. We'll see if I feel like going through that hassle.

#8 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:29 PM

That's me. I've only made one or two good IPAs in the last few years. Even when I make a tried-and-true recipe, it doesn't come out good.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:21 PM

That's me. I've only made one or two good IPAs in the last few years. Even when I make a tried-and-true recipe, it doesn't come out good.

Hop quality or something else?

#10 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22138 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 05 March 2021 - 05:58 PM

Drez, I might do a Tropical lager in the next couple of days. Ever use Ekuanot? They sounded interesting so I bought a pound. Still have plenty of Azacca as well.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:09 PM

Drez, I might do a Tropical lager in the next couple of days. Ever use Ekuanot? They sounded interesting so I bought a pound. Still have plenty of Azacca as well.

I have not but the description looks really good. I bet it would work well with the Azacca. Report back how it is once you use it.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:14 PM

I also have some azacca now. Not sure how to use it. Does it pair well with idaho 7 or eldorado.

Edited by Mando, 05 March 2021 - 07:15 PM.

#13 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22138 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:32 PM

I also have some azacca now. Not sure how to use it. Does it pair well with idaho 7 or eldorado.

The few times I used Azacca it was really good. I think I paired it with Galaxy once, then with Citra. Not 100% sure. Regardless, I do like Azacca.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:27 AM

I had planned on doing a azacca and El Dorado beer soon. Never thought of I7 but that should be good too.

#15 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22138 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:58 PM

Maybe I'm jumping the gun but fermentation has been slow. Only dropped 15 points in 3 days. I tossed in another sachet of yeast. We'll see...

#16 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:06 PM

I have an all Azacca RyePA fermenting.  I forgot I had any in the freezer and decided to use it when I saw it.  Been happy with it in the past.

#17 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:32 PM

Hop quality or something else?

I wonder how much the altitude here affects my hops utilization. Water boils at 201°F here. But that said, I've made the Hop Hammer (DIPA) recipe several times always with good results. But rarely a good normal IPA. I did a plain pale ale recently and it's a decent beer but not very hoppy.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:19 PM

I wonder how much the altitude here affects my hops utilization. Water boils at 201°F here. But that said, I've made the Hop Hammer (DIPA) recipe several times always with good results. But rarely a good normal IPA. I did a plain pale ale recently and it's a decent beer but not very hoppy.

So far the apa, what was the hop schedule like.

#19 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22138 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 10 March 2021 - 05:07 AM

Maybe I'm jumping the gun but fermentation has been slow. Only dropped 15 points in 3 days. I tossed in another sachet of yeast. We'll see...

That seemed to really help. Fermentation speed picked up dramatically. Going to add mangoes today.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2021 - 05:12 AM

That seemed to really help. Fermentation speed picked up dramatically. Going to add mangoes today.

so personally I have not generally liked mangos in beer.  you know how an underride mango can make your mouth feel almost dry or something?  not sure how to describe it.  I get that same sensation with the mango beers I've had but hopefully this isn't always the case.  my sample size is very small.  probably a couple of craft fruity IPA type beers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users