#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:13 PM

What is this vic you speak of?

Vic secret is another Australian or NZ hop. Really good and a little goes a long way.

#42 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:50 PM

What is this vic you speak of?

I never heard of most of these hops when I was brewing previously. Vic Secret is nice. Moteuka is nice. I'm having a great time with these "new" hops. I haven't even really touched the El Dorado and Mosaic. Azacca and Sabro were quite good, too.

#43 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:06 AM

I never heard of most of these hops when I was brewing previously. Vic Secret is nice. Moteuka is nice. I'm having a great time with these "new" hops. I haven't even really touched the El Dorado and Mosaic. Azacca and Sabro were quite good, too.

We actually almost have opposite overlap on hop experience there.  I have not used vic secret, azacca or sabro but I have used moteuka, eldorado and mosaic.  moteuka was good but not quite as multipurpose as I'd like.  eldorado and mosaic I really enjoy.

#44 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:02 AM

if I order Hallertauer and it says "January" next to it does that mean my whole order doesn't ship until January?

eta:  anyone have an opinion on US vs German Saaz?

Edited by Mando, 24 October 2020 - 11:10 AM.

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

if I order Hallertauer and it says "January" next to it does that mean my whole order doesn't ship until January?

eta: anyone have an opinion on US vs German Saaz?

You will get the option to break it up but you pay shipping twice. As for saaz... German.

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:54 AM

only a buck more so why not!  I guess I don't mind if he holds onto my hops as long as they are frozen.  I'm assuming they would be, right???

#47 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:38 AM

only a buck more so why not!  I guess I don't mind if he holds onto my hops as long as they are frozen.  I'm assuming they would be, right???

Yes.  He used to rent a refrigerated trailer, but about 5 years ago built his own building.

#48 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:05 PM

Yes.  He used to rent a refrigerated trailer, but about 5 years ago built his own building.

good to know.  I shouldn't have expected anything less from Ted!  I put in my order with him.

16oz Azacca Pellets: $18.95
16oz Chinook Pellets: $12.95
16oz Citra Pellets: $20.95
16oz Eldorado Pellets: $16.95
16oz Hallertauer Mitt Ger Pellets: $14.95
16oz Idaho 7 Pellets: $19.95
16oz Magnum GR Pellets: $15.95
16oz Saaz GR Pellets: $15.95

Total: $136.60 + S&H  

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:26 PM

also put in my bulk grain order that I usually do about once a year:

Best Malz Munich Malt
Best Malz Pilsen Malt
Best Malz Vienna Malt
CMC US 2-row Pale

I just finished my current stock of 2-row and munich.  still some viennn and pilsen and a little more than a sack of GP.  should get me through the winter at least ;)

#50 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:24 PM

also put in my bulk grain order that I usually do about once a year:

Best Malz Munich Malt
Best Malz Pilsen Malt
Best Malz Vienna Malt
CMC US 2-row Pale

I just finished my current stock of 2-row and munich.  still some viennn and pilsen and a little more than a sack of GP.  should get me through the winter at least ;)

Nice .. I think with the hops and grain you are set for a while.

#51 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:48 PM

I imagine the malt bill was a bit more than the hop bill. I'm good on hops for now but I'm burning through my sacks of grain very quickly. My local guy has decent prices on pils ($58) and 2 row ($52) but MO is like $85!

#52 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:51 PM

I imagine the malt bill was a bit more than the hop bill. I'm good on hops for now but I'm burning through my sacks of grain very quickly. My local guy has decent prices on pils ($58) and 2 row ($52) but MO is like $85!

I am lucky to be able to buy from a local brewer. I think Weyermann pils was 42 and Simpsons Golden Promise 50. I am happy with that. Last time I bought at the lhbs it was 72 for a bag of pils!

#53 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:23 PM

Very reasonable.
I've been meaning to ask local breweries if they'll sell sacks of grain. I used to buy from Yards in Philly a long, long time ago. They were cheap!

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:11 PM

I am lucky to be able to buy from a local brewer. I think Weyermann pils was 42 and Simpsons Golden Promise 50. I am happy with that. Last time I bought at the lhbs it was 72 for a bag of pils!

Similar deal here. I don't know what it will be like this year.

In the past cmc was under $30, bestmalz was about $37, GP was $44. I'm getting this stuff pretty much at the brewers cost.

#55 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:05 PM

Anyone get their hops yet? I got a notification that they shipped on 11/20 priority mail but haven't received them. Probably sitting in some hot warehouse.

#56 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:19 PM

Anyone get their hops yet? I got a notification that they shipped on 11/20 priority mail but haven't received them. Probably sitting in some hot warehouse.

I ordered some stuff that meant my order would be later.

#57 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:08 PM

Priority has been awful lately.

#58 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 05:16 PM

Priority has been awful lately.

I guess so. I just checked the tracking. Looks like he created the label on 11/20 but didn't ship it until 11/27. It says it got to Charlotte earlier this evening. That's still pretty slow.

#59 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 03:53 AM

I forgot to mention my hops finally showed up on Saturday. Hopefully they didn't degrade too much. Got a free 8oz pack of C148, whatever that is. So that's nice.

#60 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 04:57 AM

I forgot to mention my hops finally showed up on Saturday. Hopefully they didn't degrade too much. Got a free 8oz pack of C148, whatever that is. So that's nice.

"C148 is a new IPA hop, similar to Mosaic and Citra but with more rounded notes of white grape and white peach. It is less resinous than Columbus, CTZ. It is a very new variety and will have limited release in its first year."

I took inventory the other day and realized I had just over 46#'s of hops and that was after culling some already.  I think I am going to throw away a few more old packages and the 4#'s of leaf I have but not sure I will be buying much this year.  Maybe just some Simcoe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users