Photo
- - - - -

Dry Hopped Pilsner (similar to Fresh Cut)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:51 AM

Fresh Cut is a beer made by Peak Brewing Company.  It's a dry hopped pilsner:

https://www.peakbrew...m/fresh-cut-1-2

I'm looking to make something similar but probably not exactly the same.  For one I don't have any cent right now so I'll use cascade instead.

MALT:

14lbs pilsner malt

2.5lbs Maris Otter (could also use vienna, GP, or US 2-row, I thought the MO might bring a nice graininess)

0.5lbs Carafoam

single infusion mash at 153F

30 min boil

1.5oz galena @ 30

1oz citra @ 0

1oz chinook @ 0

1oz citra hopstand

1.5oz chinook hopstand

2oz cascade hopstand

ferment on Diamond Lager at 52F (ramp up temp during fermentation)

Single dry hop towards end of primary TBD but will likely include citra/chinook/cascade.

specs:

OG: 1.046

SRM: 2.61

IBU: 37

Open to thoughts or suggestions.  Obviously I work with the ingredients I have.  Part of how I like to operate.

Edited by Mando, 08 September 2020 - 11:53 AM.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

I think the precursor to this beer (Vienna Amber Lager) is showing signs of life at about 24 hours in.  I'm kind of pushing the boundaries here in that I only pitched 2 packets into 10 gallons and the yeast is best by Sept.  I have faith in the Diamond Lager though.

If possible I'll time it so that I can pitch the yeast from this beer within a few days of racking so I don't need to make a starter.  I have to think on a beer with this low of an OG the yeast would be able to do the job no problem.

I'll also be saving another mason jar to make another starter a few weeks after that to make something large and in charge.  I'm thinking of going off the reservation with this one.  The baltic porter kind of inspired me to make big style beers with lager yeast.

Edited by Mando, 09 September 2020 - 01:28 PM.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:25 AM

Cleaning some kegs and the fermentor in preparation now.

I'm going to no sparge this one.  I decided to do all of my water adjustment with gypsum and lactic acid this time around to really kick the sulfate levels up there for ultimate crispness.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:31 AM

I'm thinking 3oz citra, 4oz Chinook, 4oz cascade in my primary dry hop. I'll leave the hops in there as long as I can before kegging. Probably something like 2 weeks. Some time will be warm (end of fermentation) and then cold when I chill the fermenter to clear it up a little bit.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 October 2020 - 01:07 PM

did some different things today.

one is I put the yeast slurry in some boiled wort at around 11:00AM.  I just dumped the yeast in the small kettle I boiled and chilled in since it was only going to be in there for part of the day.

chilled to about 68-70F (best I could do with the IC).

then started chilling in the chest freezer.  normally I would wait until I had it down to temp to dump the yeast in but today I decided to just dump it in right away while I chilled the wort down to 52F.

I'm guessing most of these won't matter.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:55 AM

I'm carefully monitoring how fast this thing is out gassing.  once I see signs of slowing down it's going to be dry hop go time.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 10:09 AM

C'mon.  Get a Tilt and you will know where you stand...lol.

I have to keep this one in mind because I would like to try something like this.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2020 - 10:28 AM

I was thinking it would be $50 or something. I wonder what is driving the cost. Considering a raspberry pi like device has most of the required hardware for pretty cheap I'm kind of surprised.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 10:57 AM

I was thinking it would be $50 or something. I wonder what is driving the cost. Considering a raspberry pi like device has most of the required hardware for pretty cheap I'm kind of surprised.

No idea really.  There is a diy version that you can build for about $50 or less but I have no interest in that at this point.

It is nice to see all the data and see what is going on inside that SS.

120737947_10160613772209657_225769772787

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2020 - 11:17 AM

that is pretty sweet.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 11:22 AM

that is pretty sweet.

So my plan is to let this crash down after it is done and load in the 3oz DH into the sigh glass at teh top and push it down with CO2 to try and keep any O2 out.  I will close it all up when I am around 1.014 and get a bit of carbonation built up. 

120538572_10160614340369657_647288798867

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2020 - 11:29 AM

can you flush the sight glass with CO2 after you put the hops in but before you push them down in?  I can' tell if there is a valve between the sight glass and the fermentor.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

can you flush the sight glass with CO2 after you put the hops in but before you push them down in?  I can' tell if there is a valve between the sight glass and the fermentor.

Yes,  I have a butterfly valve set up so I can flush teh hops or even let the gas from fermentation purge them.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2020 - 02:45 PM

Yes,  I have a butterfly valve set up so I can flush teh hops or even let the gas from fermentation purge them.

fancy!

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:53 PM

I'm getting a little antsy to dry hop this thing but it's still outgassing at a reasonable clip.  right now I've got the spunding valve holding about 10PSI and I'm at almost 60F now.  I completely wing this every time so I really have no idea what gravity I'm at.  good news is that a lot of lager yeasts are a lot more forgiving than folks give them credit for.

in any event have you ever dry hopped too early in the primary fermentation and really regretted it?  I mean, I guess I could wait and do my best to try to purge the head space after but I'd still be introducing O2.

Edited by Mando, 06 October 2020 - 12:53 PM.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:13 PM

I have dry hopped on day one! Throw them in and close it up!

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:16 PM

I'm gonna do it!

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:35 PM

okay I didn't do it.  turns out fermentation was still too active. the act of releasing the pressure on the headspace caused the beer to foam like a mofo so I had to clean off the lid area and seal it back up.  I guess I'll try again in a day or two.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2020 - 05:59 AM

okay, now I did it!  overnight I bled the pressure down slowly.  there is still a good layer of krausen/foam on top of the wort/beer but I was able to dump in my dry hops without issue.

went with:

3oz citra

3.5oz chinook

4.5oz cascade

triple C!

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:18 AM