45 replies to this topic

#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

If it's British and it's an ale this goes in. I've never tried it in any Americanized pale ales but I can see it would add a nice effect. Don't get me wrong though - sometimes I really enjoy 2-row for it's simple and clean taste.

#22 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

As a broke student, paying twice as much for MO as for Domestic 2-Row is just not possible. I mean I can get 2-Row for like $2 a kilo and MO is over $4.50 for the same amount....But when I do use it all I can say is YUM!

have you tried the ESB malt from gambrinus? Check it out if you can get it up your way.idit spelling

Edited by mikeinspokane, 13 April 2009 - 05:34 PM.

#23 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

By far my favorite malt. Worth the few extra dollars for sure

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

By far my favorite malt. Worth the few extra dollars for sure

for me it's 2X the price, so , in that note MO is not worth it as it's not 2X good.

#25 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

Me too.Our last bulk grain order got slightly messed up and I ended up with a bag of Golden Promise. I have been meaning to try it so I am looking forward to that.

Chef, seeing as how I didn't get in on the last bulk order, I would be happy to take that bag of GP off your hands for only a nominal disposal fee. :cheers:

#26 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

I picked up a bag for $55 and I've yet to try it, but I'm done my bathroom and my wife's going away for a week next week, so I think I'll be brewing up a storm. I can't wait to try it.

#27 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

I love it in the IPAs I have made

#28 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

I love it in the IPAs I have made

It looks and smells delicious in my primary right now. I love the golden copper color my wort was, probably about a 15 SRM. Gorgeous!

#29 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

Its a fine malt, but I find it to malty for clean west coast APA/IPA's of which I am so fond.It is irreplacable for english pales and milds and IPAs however.I'm a lucky bastard in that malt for homebrewing for me is free.BrewBasser

#30 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

Its a fine malt, but I find it to malty for clean west coast APA/IPA's of which I am so fond.It is irreplacable for english pales and milds and IPAs however.I'm a lucky bastard in that malt for homebrewing for me is free.BrewBasser

Bastard! :cheers:

#31 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

Dipping your pen in the company ink eh...

#32 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

Bastard! :devil:

Don't hate! :rolf:

#33 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

for me it's 2X the price, so , in that note MO is not worth it as it's not 2X good.

Yeah same here. I have some on hand when I get the urge like I did the last time but for some reason that stuff is running about $90 a bag out here now where as Great Western is around $50, so I usually use that unless I really want the MO. Overall the price of grain in my turf has definately jumped over the last couple years and it sounds like it has more so that some of you others out there.

#34 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

Dipping your pen in the company ink eh...

Yeah, if I need MO, I just go out to the grain station and get some.The malt selection is somewhat limited, but what there is, Mr. Dresler lets me have.BrewBasser

#35 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:30 PM

I've used this malt a number of times and liked it. However, to my tastes, there isn't a really great difference in the beers I've made with MO vs. Great western 2-row. From this perspective, $37 dollars for 50lb of American 2-row is where my money goes.

#36 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

I've used this malt a number of times and liked it. However, to my tastes, there isn't a really great difference in the beers I've made with MO vs. Great western 2-row. From this perspective, $37 dollars for 50lb of American 2-row is where my money goes.

Where are you getting your 2-row from?

#37 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

Where are you getting your 2-row from?

Brewmaster in San Leandro.

#38 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:51 PM

Brewmaster in San Leandro.

For 37.00? I'm going to have to stop by there the next time I'm in that area. The place up by me wants 60.00 for a sack. :rolf: Are they pretty reasonable for everything?

Edited by badogg, 14 April 2009 - 03:52 PM.

#39 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

For 37.00? I'm going to have to stop by there the next time I'm in that area. The place up by me wants 60.00 for a sack. :rolf: Are they pretty reasonable for everything?

I 2005 I was paying $35 a bag, like I said though I'm at $50 now but I haven't tried to really heavily price shop it lately.

#40 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

Grain prices seem very good, but I found that their retail prices on most things are a touch higher than many but definitely still in the competitive range. I believe this is because they are largely a wholesaler to other homebrew/wine stores and wineries, so they want to encourage spending at their retailers which is their core business. But they're close and super old school with a funky little retail shop in the front, I love to shop there for pretty much everything except hops. Basically you get a 30% discount for a full bag of grain, $60~ would get you 55lb of Marris Otter IIRC. You could probably get B3 to ship you a sack of 2-row American for less than $50.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users