#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

Saturday night, I brewed up my first IPA of the year. For the first time I used Maris Otter as my base malt. What is the board's experience with this grain? My run-off was clear and color was good....so no complaints from me so far.

#2 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:44 AM

Saturday night, I brewed up my first IPA of the year. For the first time I used Maris Otter as my base malt. What is the board's experience with this grain? My run-off was clear and color was good....so no complaints from me so far.

Maris Otter is the only malt where I make sure to have a 55 lb bag around at all times.It is slightly darker and maltier than most other 2-row pale malts, and works great for english styles, belgian styles, or for some of the maltier lagers that can be a few SRM darker than pils malt.

#3 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19226 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:03 AM

It's a real popular pale malt with home and craft brewers. Nice flavor and generally low husk material.

#4 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10827 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

My favorite base malt. Always a bag on hand.

#5 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

When it comes to stouts I will immediately head to MO for my base malt. If I'm not doing a beer that I believe will benefit from using MO I will still stick my head in the sack to get a big whiff before I weigh out the other two-row. Man that stuff smells great. :)

#6 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

Since it's an English malt....I guess I can't officially call my beer an American IPA huh? :)I pitched two packages of US05 yeast....this stuff is the shiznit!

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:48 AM

If you contaminate it with US-05, you can definitely call it American. :)As to Maris Otter, I went on a crusade several years ago to try to find a malt that had more malt than domestic pale. I started with MO. That was a step in the right direction. Then I tried Golden Promise and that was even better. These days, I've landed on Weyermann pale malt.

#8 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35395 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:18 AM

I use MO in almost everything unless the style specifically calls for a particular base malt.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

Since it's an English malt....I guess I can't officially call my beer an American IPA huh? :)I pitched two packages of US05 yeast....this stuff is the shiznit!

So I just hooked up an IPA made with MO to my keggerator. Color and taste is great. It was my first IPA too... and it was also fermented with US05. I think you will be happy. I did brew a 10 gallon batch ans split between the 05 and Nottingham. Have not tapped into the Nottingham yet.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

I love MO Malt. It is one of my favorites as well. I made sure to stock up last year with a couple of bags. Its great for English beers as intended but I used in it an American IPA and it was wonderful. I thought I heard Dogfish uses MO as a base and we know they are not brewing English Style beers. I would used MO all the time if it was a bit more affordable.

#11 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

I would used MO all the time if it was a bit more affordable.

As a broke student, paying twice as much for MO as for Domestic 2-Row is just not possible. I mean I can get 2-Row for like $2 a kilo and MO is over $4.50 for the same amount....But when I do use it all I can say is YUM!

#12 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

If you contaminate it with US-05, you can definitely call it American. :devil:As to Maris Otter, I went on a crusade several years ago to try to find a malt that had more malt than domestic pale. I started with MO. That was a step in the right direction. Then I tried Golden Promise and that was even better. These days, I've landed on Weyermann pale malt.

Sorry MtnBrewer...I might be hooked on the US05! Either that or I'm lazy and don't feel like making a starter for the liquids :)

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

Sorry MtnBrewer...I might be hooked on the US05! Either that or I'm lazy and don't feel like making a starter for the liquids :)

I have no problem with dry yeast. I'd use it too if I could find some that I like. The only use for US-05 that I've been able to find is for boosting the yeast population at bottling time.

#14 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40973 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:17 PM

As a broke student, paying twice as much for MO as for Domestic 2-Row is just not possible. I mean I can get 2-Row for like $2 a kilo and MO is over $4.50 for the same amount....But when I do use it all I can say is YUM!

I'm not even a broke college student, and I don't pay for MO. You can use domestic pale malt, and some toasted or biscuit malt, and get most of the same qualities as MO. I like MO, but I can't justify the price, compared to sacks of pale malt.

#15 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25383 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

In a pinch, adding a half pound of biscuit to 10# of pale ale malt is a pretty good way to get away with not using MO, I have found.

#16 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

If only my LHBS carried biscuit OR victory!! :devil: MtnBrewer likes yeast with a little flavour :) Why bother with ingredients that don't add anything to the finished product?? oh aside from alcohol of course.....

#17 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40973 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

If only my LHBS carried biscuit OR victory!! :devil: MtnBrewer likes yeast with a little flavour :) Why bother with ingredients that don't add anything to the finished product?? oh aside from alcohol of course.....

Make your own! You can toast a pound of pale malt in the oven, and make what is essentially biscuit malt.Visit My Website

#18 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

If only my LHBS carried biscuit OR victory!! :)

You can make a pretty fair approximation of amber malt (biscuit or victory) by toasting some pale malt at home in your oven. One method is explained in the FAQ on this board:https://www.brews-br...?showtopic=1327

#19 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:33 PM

If I plan ahead they can order in british amber malt, or if I am willing to take an hour and a half bus ride to go to the store that has it. That's good to know though, I'll probably do that the next time I call and they tell me they are out of stock of amber again!

#20 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

My favorite base malt. Always a bag on hand.

Me too.Our last bulk grain order got slightly messed up and I ended up with a bag of Golden Promise. I have been meaning to try it so I am looking forward to that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users