#21 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:27 AM

I am not sure in my 20 years I have ever used that strain for anything.  What is it like.  Clean or any character from it?

Not speaking for Brother Poptop, but I've used 1728 in the past, and it's a nice yeast.  if you like Scottish-style ales, it can't be beat, and for more hop-forward beers like IPA, I find it lets the hops shine but the malt still stays relevant. 

I also recall that it flocc'd out nicely on its own, but didn't drop too soon like 1968 or 002 can tend to do.  I've used some Brit strains in the past where the hop character was much more subdued than I wanted, even though I hopped the beer the same as when I use an American strain like US-05 or 1056.

I remember a few times when I brewed Scottish-type beers, and was able to ferment just below 60°, that the resulting beer had a really nice, but subtle smoky character.  Could've been my own tastebuds/nose fooling me, but those were some nice beers.

Overall, a nice yeast and one I want to get reacquainted with soon.

#22 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:29 AM

I also used it to make an Altbier a couple months ago and that beer took 2nd place in the Miami Coconut Cup :) 

Not speaking for Brother Poptop, but I've used 1728 in the past, and it's a nice yeast.  if you like Scottish-style ales, it can't be beat, and for more hop-forward beers like IPA, I find it lets the hops shine but the malt still stays relevant. 

I also recall that it flocc'd out nicely on its own, but didn't drop too soon like 1968 or 002 can tend to do.  I've used some Brit strains in the past where the hop character was much more subdued than I wanted, even though I hopped the beer the same as when I use an American strain like US-05 or 1056.

I remember a few times when I brewed Scottish-type beers, and was able to ferment just below 60°, that the resulting beer had a really nice, but subtle smoky character.  Could've been my own tastebuds/nose fooling me, but those were some nice beers.

Overall, a nice yeast and one I want to get reacquainted with soon.

[Like]  :)

#23 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:21 PM

I am not sure in my 20 years I have ever used that strain for anything.  What is it like.  Clean or any character from it?

Yeah, very clean, especially fermented at 52-55.  A bit more body than 1007.

#24 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:23 PM

I also used it to make an Altbier a couple months ago and that beer took 2nd place in the Miami Coconut Cup :)

[Like]  :)

Just kegged my alt made with 1728 and Mecca Grad malts...delishus!  Pitched a 1.090 Wee Shroomy on the slurry.

#25 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:46 PM

I had a classic ipa tonight. It was amazing. I'll try and get the recipe.

#26 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:43 AM

Just kegged my alt made with 1728 and Mecca Grad malts...delishus!  Pitched a 1.090 Wee Shroomy on the slurry.

I know you mentioned making the alt just for the Shroomy purpose.  Reiterated on your current podcast :)  Can you remember which episode, brewer that uses 1728 as their house strain?  That was a good show iirc.

I had a classic ipa tonight. It was amazing. I'll try and get the recipe.

Get it for us!  I had a pretty darn good one from Sweetwater, their 420 G-13.  It tasted just like what I want to make.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:58 AM

I've used 1728 a couple of times for an 80 shilling, once for a more generic "scottish ale" that was on the lower side of gravity and then once for a scottish "summer ale" which was probably my favorite of the bunch.  that one was just GP and C15.  somewhat low bitterness and then some EKG towards the end of the boil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users