#21 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

^^ I can see why you roast so much coffee hahaha, you one busy dude.  What time is left to brew man?

#22 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:27 PM

^^ I can see why you roast so much coffee hahaha, you one busy dude.  What time is left to brew man?

Ha! I go through phases with my hobbies, and most of them do not require year-round constant care. So I'll spend a couple weeks or a month on a project here and there in the different areas. Coffee roasting really only takes about 40 minutes to roast a pound, so I can find time in the evening to do that while I do some woodworking down there.

For brewing, I treat it like my other hobbies, and come in and out of it throughout the year. I have 14 taps, so I never feel like I have to brew or I'll be out of beer, and I have around 70 kegs in the walk-in, so even when a beer on tap goes empty, I just bring another one to be tapped. I keep just about everything I need on hand except for yeast (I do keep slurries and dry yeast on hand for starters and emergencies if needed), so I can typically brew anytime I feel like.

I am also on an electric system, and for most average beers I've moved to 30 minute mashes and 30 minute boils if I'm brewing all in one go, which has made it so that I can brew a 5 gallon batch in 2.5 hours couch to couch.

With the electric system, I have also split up my brew process a good number of times such that I mash in once we get home from work, and then after putting the kids down, I just need about 1.5 hours to finish up the rest and be done, which is really nice to be able to brew quickly on a weeknight.

#23 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:09 PM

Other then brewing, I used to noodle around on guitars, pretty heavily up until 5 years ago. Had a little bar band I played in. (Long story stort, had all 5 of my electrics stolen- US strat, Epi SG and Sheridan II, bass, etc) but still have my amp, pedals and acoustics.

Coffee roasting has been my radar for quite some time- never thought of using a popcorn machine to roast; very interesting.

Always been a fan of cooking; wouldn't call it a hobby, but always game for cooking outside my comfort zone. (Indian food is remarkably fun and easy to make)

And for a couple hours a month, I'll plop down in front of the couch at fire up classic gaming systems (Atari, Nintendo/SNES,genesis).

#24 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:57 AM

^^ Indian food is one style I haven't cracked yet but I'm very interested in making some spicy dishes.  Also want to make my own curry mixes.

#25 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47784 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:03 AM

Making soap.

#26 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:26 AM

^^ Indian food is one style I haven't cracked yet but I'm very interested in making some spicy dishes.  Also want to make my own curry mixes.

here is my go-to curry mix for a chicken Tikka Marsala.  

• 2 teaspoons Gram Marsala
  • 1 teaspoon Cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander 
  • 1 teaspoon Turmeric  

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:53 PM

Garam masala is already a mix. At some point someone pointed me to I shop Indian .com. check it out!

#28 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:23 AM

here is my go-to curry mix for a chicken Tikka Marsala.  

• 2 teaspoons Gram Marsala
  • 1 teaspoon Cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander 
  • 1 teaspoon Turmeric  

You got me motivated and I dug up an Indian book at the house and started perusing it.  I need some heat in my life

Garam masala is already a mix. At some point someone pointed me to I shop Indian .com. check it out!

I'm on it :)

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:37 AM

You got me motivated and I dug up an Indian book at the house and started perusing it.  I need some heat in my life

I'm on it :)

whatever you can't get at your grocery store you'll likely be able to get at i shop indian.  I mostly use them for buying whole spices like cumin, coriander, nutmeg, cardamom, fenugreek, etc.  I vacuum seal up most of the bag and just pull from it as needed.  kind of like buying hops in bulk.

#30 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:54 PM

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking and baking as well. I also roast my own coffee. Started with a Whirlypop on the stove top, then built a bread machine roaster as seen here:

https://forum.homero...?thread_id=3908

I used that for a couple of years and then became an early adopter of the Aillio Bullet roaster.

I can recommend Happy Mug Coffee for greens, high quality coffee and good prices, plus they are only 80 mi away so if I order before noon I have my beans the next day.

#31 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:17 PM

cheesemaking, ham radio

I feel like we are long lost brothers... 

Just opened up a mild cheddar yesterday.  And my Yaesu FT-857 is sitting 18 inches from the keyboard.  Although I need a better antenna.  My end-fed just isn't getting me out there.  I don't know that I've ever gotten a 5-9 report, nor have I had anyone respond to my own CQ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users