#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:25 AM

I didn’t want to post this in Public because I really only care about you’s guys. I think that all home brewers are tinkerers at heart. With that what do you guys do other than brewing that you would consider a hobby or tinkering? Among many things I enjoy such as cooking and gardening growing orchids I also roast my own coffee. I use an old air pop popcorn machine. How about you?

1386-F099-7-FA6-4182-A928-CE85528331-A3.

Edited by Poptop, 25 January 2020 - 10:37 AM.

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:27 AM

538186-CF-BB61-4-A5-D-81-BE-6-DEEC9-E0-C

Once green now dark roast

Edited by Poptop, 25 January 2020 - 10:37 AM.

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:44 AM

Been wanting to get into roasting my own beans, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Besides brewing, my other main hobby/tinkering is cooking/grilling.  Good beer demands to be paired with good eats, IMO.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:49 AM

Your opinion is one I stand behind.

Get an old Air Pop Popcorn machine off eBay. Burman coffee online.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:54 AM

i roasted for a little while but without a better machine with more capacity I'm not super motivated.  it was pretty fun though.

#6 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:43 AM

cheesemaking, ham radio

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:57 AM

Cheese making has always interested me. What is your fav

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

Cooking and bread baking, I guess.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

Cooking and grilling for sure.  I also like to work in my yard.  I built this greenhouse/she-shed for my wife and I maintain a pool and hot tub and a nice low-voltage lighting system in the yard.  I make my own tap handles if that's considered tinkering.  One thing I learned a long time ago is that I'm not the tinkerer that other brewers are, generally.  If I wanted to buy an immersion chiller for $39 but another brewer saw that he could make one for $38 in parts... he absolutely would.  I would not.  :P

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

Pragmatic tinkerer

#11 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:36 PM

I've got a little coffee roaster about the size of a small microwave.   Been doing it for several years and really like the results.   I get green beans from sweetmarias.com

Thanks for the reminder...   I need to roast some more beans.   :D

Edited by pkrone, 25 January 2020 - 01:38 PM.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:00 PM

Very cool. There’s nothing easier than just getting coffee but it’s just special.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:05 PM

as to the topic the other thing that some people consider a hobby (but I just consider part of life) is maintaining the vegetable garden.  been doing that since i was a wee lad.

#14 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:34 PM

Cheese making has always interested me. What is your fav

well, I'm pretty new to it... I've got a colby going now...

#15 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25471 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:06 PM

Electronics would be #2. Between rock and roll bands, listening with head phones, concerts and sell subwoofers at insane and irresponsible levels, my hearing is shot and high end audio is a foolish pursuit for me.

I have some ideas for electric guitar amplifiers I want to try out and doing some automation for brewing automation control designs.

Edited by zymot, 25 January 2020 - 05:48 PM.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:06 PM

Brewing, building parts for the brewery, cooking and bbq/smoking. Currently planning out a new smoker build. Seems lots of other hobbies like fishing, fly tying and golf have had a huge drop off since kids.

#17 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:04 PM

I've done my own coffee on a cast iron skillet on my tiny smokey joe webber grill. turned out great!

We've since gotten a pop corn popper so I new immediately what I was looking at when I saw the picture!

#18 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4907 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:58 AM

I've considered trying this, and a popper seems like a cool, easy way to get started...

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:32 AM

It is simple!

#20 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:35 PM

I have a Behmor 1600+ that I use. I started with the nesco forced air with auger, but it could only do 4 oz at a time, and the behmor can do a full pound a time. I roast 1-2 pounds per week. I have an ECM S-Automatik-64 grinder and Rancilio Silvia at home, and a Baratza Preciso and Saeco Via Venezia at work (my old setup). I just replaced the pump in the Silvia, and I have plans on getting the ECM Classika PID (maybe the one with flow control) in the future. I only do neat espresso. I also get beans from sweet marias, but I only get their espresso monkey blend. In the Silvia, I use a bottomless portafilter with a triple basket and a 21 gram charge to produce 42 grams of espresso. I prefer a 2:1 brew ratio.

I am also an avid woodworker. I have been getting into chainsaw milling the past few years, and also have a Laguna 18 bx to help break down big timbers and slabs. I do a good amount of turning, mostly pens, but also bowls, cups, random items, as well as accessories for the espresso setup. I turned a new lid for the grinder, turned new portafilter handles, as well as tamper handles. I've built a little free library from lumber that I've milled, live edge tables and benches, etc. I am currently aging about 10 flitch slabs that I chainsaw milled, and when they are ready to use I'll probably build some tables.

I also got into gardening since childhood with the family, and now have 20 blueberry bushes that I built a hoop structure that I net every year. We also have persimmon trees, a cherry tree, apple trees, fig trees, plum tree, peach tree, grape vines, blackberries, hops, and an annual garden.

To protect the blueberries and garden from squirrels I also got into air rifles, and now have a handful of air rifles ranging from multi-pump, break barrel, and a couple pre-charged pneumatic. My main one I use is a Benjamin Discovery with a custom BNM breach and full shroud using a 10 shot rotary magazine in .177 with a decent mil dot scope with sidewheel focus.

I've also gotten into charcuterie and have multiple hams hanging for prosciutto, make bacon pretty consistently along with duck prosciutto. I've also made corned beef, lonzino, braesola, duck confit, etc. I'd really like to try a coppa soon too.

I am also a beekeeper, but currently only have hives at the school I teach at. We currently have 3 hives that are still alive, so hopefully they make it through the winter and into the spring when the nectar flows.

Edited by gnef, 14 February 2020 - 07:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users