#21 LilSmokey

LilSmokey

Master of TL;DR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3249 posts
  • Locationthe SWATS!

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:51 AM

One thing that improved my IIPA recipe was suggested at the old greenboard. Try getting some of that OG from sugar to get your FG estimates below 1.020. I'd remove the 6 row, too. IMO, an Double/Imperial IPA is a lot better when the body is light enough to keep it easily drinkable.

#22 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:26 AM

I'll be the first to admit that ABW and IIPA lines often become blurry to me... especially when I drink Bigfoot.

#23 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:26 AM

I'll be the first to admit that ABW and IIPA lines often become blurry to me... especially when I drink Bigfoot.

If you have the opportunity in your area, try a Lagunitas Gnarleywine or Avery's Hog Heaven. A little lighter on the spectrum, and very close to like a GD Hercules. There is a line which is fine. The only reason I even bring this up in this thread, is I went through building a malt bill for a year, while competition after competition kept smacking down what I thought was a great complex recipe. And the scoresheets always said the same thing. "Nice beer, intense, but approaching BW" Now I lowered the specialties, added some color malt, corn sugar, rye, and hop the bejeesus out of it.

#24 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

Maybe I have a different expectation from an ABW. I certainly don't drink much BW. I use Bigfoot as my yard stick and I haven't had Bigfoot for quite a while, a few years probably. To me, BF is considerably stronger, darker and thicker than what I would expect Sackchin's recipe to be. Although in competition, it wouldn't fair well as a IIPA because of the dryness and generally lighter coloer of the classic IIPAs.

#25 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

Maybe I have a different expectation from an ABW. I certainly don't drink much BW. I use Bigfoot as my yard stick and I haven't had Bigfoot for quite a while, a few years probably. To me, BF is considerably stronger, darker and thicker than what I would expect Sackchin's recipe to be. Although in competition, it wouldn't fair well as a IIPA because of the dryness and generally lighter coloer of the classic IIPAs.

See the OP about how strong I intended the final brew to be.

#26 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

Actually what I meant was that it had too much crystal for a beer with a high OG. As OG goes up, the need for crystal malt goes down.

This is interesting, why is that? Is it because you generally have more contribution from the base malts with a higher OG?

#27 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

See the OP about how strong I intended the final brew to be.

What's your expected mash efficiency?

#28 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:05 AM

What's your expected mash efficiency?

I just want to brew something so beastly and manly that testicles hang from the glass when you fill it up with this. I also want it to taste good.

#29 LilSmokey

LilSmokey

Master of TL;DR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3249 posts
  • Locationthe SWATS!

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:59 AM

I punched the numbers in and was coming up with an estimated FG of well over 1.020, which has become my cutoff line for IIPA. I usually shoot for 1.018 or lower, and I've liked the results a lot better. That being said, if you just want a big badass beer, throw caution to the wind and make a big ass American Barleywine. I'd still change the specialty grains, though... and remove the 6 row.

#30 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:50 AM

I just want to brew something so beastly and manly that testicles hang from the glass when you fill it up with this. I also want it to taste good.

Your mash efficiency directly affects the testicle hanginess of the finished product. Do you have a certain product that you're shooting for?

#31 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:15 AM

Your mash efficiency directly affects the testicle hanginess of the finished product. Do you have a certain product that you're shooting for?

If Bigfoot had sex with Hercules. (The beers)

#32 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:23 AM

This is interesting, why is that? Is it because you generally have more contribution from the base malts with a higher OG?

Correct. You generally have enough trouble attenuating high OG beers without adding unfermentables. When the gravity gets above about 20°P, I generally go the other way and start adding pure sugar.

#33 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9598 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:24 AM

If Bigfoot had sex with Hercules. (The beers)

This sounds like you are trying to make a beer for the Greek God Testiclees

#34 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:07 AM

This sounds like you are trying to make a beer for the Greek God Testiclees

Testaklees IIPA I like it.

#35 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

Making this recipe now with some slight modifications.

#36 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

Just transferred it to secondary, and this has to be one of the best smelling beers I've ever made. Dry hopping it for a week, then I'm keggin this bitch.

#37 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

:(

#38 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

Bump. How'd this turn out Hokie?

#39 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

Bump. How'd this turn out Hokie?

Dude. It's so good. Each time I drink a glass I get a little sad because I know that I'm taking away from the future of the keg. The malt complexity is there and a bit strong, but it's required with all of the hop complexity I have going on. I have toasty notes in there that are amazing, slightly mindblowing. So good. I wanna stick my penis in it.

#40 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

Dude. It's so good. Each time I drink a glass I get a little sad because I know that I'm taking away from the future of the keg. The malt complexity is there and a bit strong, but it's required with all of the hop complexity I have going on. I have toasty notes in there that are amazing, slightly mindblowing. So good. I wanna stick my penis in it.

That would be a good way to ensure that you are the only one that gets any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users