52 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:31 AM

I'm thinking of buying a tank like this: Medical Oxygen "E" Cylinder Tank - Steel - USEDWould a regulator like THIS fit it or do I need something different?Thanks guys! :lol:

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:48 AM

I'm thinking of buying a tank like this: Medical Oxygen "E" Cylinder Tank - Steel - USEDWould a regulator like THIS fit it or do I need something different?Thanks guys! :lol:

Also - if I'm missing something else I need to dispense don't hesitate to let me know b/c I know almost nothing about these tanks.

#3 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:56 AM

I don't really know anything about these medical oxygen systems. However, I have heard that (believe it or not) you have to have a prescription to get the tank filled. If what I heard is true, then that may present a problem for you.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:57 AM

I don't really know anything about these medical oxygen systems. However, I have heard that (believe it or not) you have to have a prescription to get the tank filled. If what I heard is true, then that may present a problem for you.

I'll fill it with whatever kind of oxygen they'll give me.

#5 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:00 AM

My only caution is to check with the place where you plan on filling it, and make sure they will fill it for you - do this before purchasing the tank.What I found out, at least for my locality, I needed a note from a doctor in order for airgas or the other local places to fill/swap the tank. I know some on here have connections with their gas store, so they are able to, but I was not able to find a place that would do that for me.Also, I think those tanks from that seller would be ok, but the phrase "guaranteed to be good, but sold as-is" makes me a bit hesitant.Personally, I ended up getting the industrial oxygen tank, and it has been working well for me for many years now. A single tank of oxygen, even a small one, has enough oxygen for hundreds batches at least.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:05 AM

My only caution is to check with the place where you plan on filling it, and make sure they will fill it for you - do this before purchasing the tank.What I found out, at least for my locality, I needed a note from a doctor in order for airgas or the other local places to fill/swap the tank. I know some on here have connections with their gas store, so they are able to, but I was not able to find a place that would do that for me.Also, I think those tanks from that seller would be ok, but the phrase "guaranteed to be good, but sold as-is" makes me a bit hesitant.Personally, I ended up getting the industrial oxygen tank, and it has been working well for me for many years now. A single tank of oxygen, even a small one, has enough oxygen for hundreds batches at least.

that same seller has tanks that been been refurbed and are def good to go. I have yet to find an industrial tank + regulator that is even close to the price for the medical stuff I find on ebay. the other advantage is the regulators for medical tanks have a flow setting which is much more useful for our uses. if anyone has any great deals on industrial tanks + regulators I'd certainly be interested though.

#7 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:26 AM

You are certainly correct on cost.What my local airgas did, was swap a 5# CO2 tank for a 20CF oxygen tank, all I had to pay was for the fill. At that point, I just bought a used oxygen regulator off ebay (I think it was around 30 dollars?), and I was good to go.I have many co2 tanks, so being able to do a straight swap was nice. If you have a spare co2 tank, you could also try doing a swap, and then just purchasing a used regulator.If you check with your local gas supply, and they promise that they will fill the medical tank without a prescription or note from a doctor, then I would definitely go that route for the sheer cost. If that doesn't work, industrial oxygen will do just as well, albeit a bit more costly.

#8 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:28 AM

Yup, that reg will work on a medical tank.I also agree with gnef on what he says too.My weld shop will swap out med tanks w/o prescriptions.

Edited by Blktre, 15 November 2009 - 10:29 AM.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:03 PM

Yup, that reg will work on a medical tank.I also agree with gnef on what he says too.My weld shop will swap out med tanks w/o prescriptions.

just curious - where does one attach a hose to these things? is there something on the regulator that I linked or is it something that is part of the tank?

#10 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

just curious - where does one attach a hose to these things? is there something on the regulator that I linked or is it something that is part of the tank?

There is a nipple on the low pressure side towards the adjusting knob on the reg. Its on the backside and is not shown in the pic. I use these things every day i go to work.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:39 AM

There is a nipple on the low pressure side towards the adjusting knob on the reg. Its on the backside and is not shown in the pic. I use these things every day i go to work.

Thanks - not working in the medical field or knowing anyone with an O2 tank has left me kind of in the dark about this stuff :cheers:

#12 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19226 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

I would just say to make sure you have a company that will exchange your tank. If it's an odd size or if they have some policy of outside tanks. I bought my tank and reg from the same place I get my CO2, O2, and Beergas. A bunch of homebrewers have an account with them. The beergas is a special order for them and they keep a few on hand just for us. It pays to build relationships. $0.02

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:19 AM

I would just say to make sure you have a company that will exchange your tank. If it's an odd size or if they have some policy of outside tanks. I bought my tank and reg from the same place I get my CO2, O2, and Beergas. A bunch of homebrewers have an account with them. The beergas is a special order for them and they keep a few on hand just for us. It pays to build relationships. $0.02

yeah - I called my local airgas and tried to get some answers. someone was supposed to call me back and never did. it's like all of these places have some lady who answers the phones who, when you get right down to it, doesn't know much of anything and the person who does know can't get to the phone. AAARRRRGGGGG!!!

#14 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

I have a medical O2 tank that came from the wife's grandparents, it had been buried, nearly full, at the back of a closet for 10 years. the company they got it from was out of business.I took it into my local welding place the last time I had my 20# co2 filled and asked what my options were on it. It is way out of test and they suggested that when I use it up that I trade it in to them for an industrial tank (same size) for the price of the hydro test and fill. They were leery about keeping the medical yoke valve on it and said I'd be better off with any future hassles if I just changed it.That said I've oxygenated about 15 batches with it so far and and the pressure had dropped maybe a needle width from the ~2000psi in it when I got it. It will be a long time before I have worry about what to do with the tank when it is empty.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:12 PM

I have a medical O2 tank that came from the wife's grandparents, it had been buried, nearly full, at the back of a closet for 10 years. the company they got it from was out of business.I took it into my local welding place the last time I had my 20# co2 filled and asked what my options were on it. It is way out of test and they suggested that when I use it up that I trade it in to them for an industrial tank (same size) for the price of the hydro test and fill. They were leery about keeping the medical yoke valve on it and said I'd be better off with any future hassles if I just changed it.That said I've oxygenated about 15 batches with it so far and and the pressure had dropped maybe a needle width from the ~2000psi in it when I got it. It will be a long time before I have worry about what to do with the tank when it is empty.

what's the problem with the medical valve?note: I'm planning on buying a brand new regulator and the oxygen tank would be refurbed

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:38 AM

Is this a standard regulator for industrial type oxygen tanks?My linkPosted Imagethis is the tank I'm looking at:My link

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:49 AM

Is this a standard regulator for industrial type oxygen tanks?My linkPosted Imagethis is the tank I'm looking at:My link

mods - this isn't a medical tank or regulator so I didn't put it in this thread...

#18 Kremer

Kremer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:06 AM

what's the problem with the medical valve?

The whole issue about medical O2 being a controlled substance and requiring an RX or medical providers licence to get the tank filled. some places will fill it as we've already been through and it is indeed realyl the same O2, but having an industrial valve vs medical valve eliminates any possibility of hassle in the future about having the tank filled or tested.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

The whole issue about medical O2 being a controlled substance and requiring an RX or medical providers licence to get the tank filled. some places will fill it as we've already been through and it is indeed realyl the same O2, but having an industrial valve vs medical valve eliminates any possibility of hassle in the future about having the tank filled or tested.

yeah - I'm getting that sense as well. I might have to bite the bullet and get industrial :facepalm:

#20 Kremer

Kremer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

yeah - I'm getting that sense as well. I might have to bite the bullet and get industrial :facepalm:

I believe you can get an adapter to fit the yolk medical O2 regulator on an industrial O2 valve. CGA-870 is medical and CGA-540 is industrial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users