#21 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

The beer in question is a helles so it's a fine walk between malt and hops.  The strange thing is that I have never had an issue with that balance in the past.

Try adding a pinch of sulfate to a glass.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

Try adding a pinch of sulfate to a glass.

I was considering that.  Also, if some amount of time goes by and I conclude that this beer really is out of balance (and it's not my tastebuds), would this be a time to use this hopshot that's sitting in my fridge?  SOme Googling says it can be used for bittering but I would have no idea how much to use.  

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

I was considering that.  Also, if some amount of time goes by and I conclude that this beer really is out of balance (and it's not my tastebuds), would this be a time to use this hopshot that's sitting in my fridge?  SOme Googling says it can be used for bittering but I would have no idea how much to use.  

Are you talking adding the hopshot to the finished beer?  I would not do that, nope .. 

ETA: if you already do not like it why not try a small DH and see if you can make something you like?

Edited by HVB, 12 August 2019 - 09:44 AM.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:47 AM

Are you talking adding the hopshot to the finished beer?  I would not do that, nope .. 

ETA: if you already do not like it why not try a small DH and see if you can make something you like?

I considered that as well but the thought of a dry-hopped helles... Hmm.  I think I like the sulfate idea better.  So hopshot to finished beer would do what?  It really needs to be boiled or what?  I used to get small bottles of hop extract that could be used to correct small imbalances and it could be used in the finished beer... I considered doing the same with the hopshot.

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

I considered that as well but the thought of a dry-hopped helles... Hmm.  I think I like the sulfate idea better.  So hopshot to finished beer would do what?  It really needs to be boiled or what?  I used to get small bottles of hop extract that could be used to correct small imbalances and it could be used in the finished beer... I considered doing the same with the hopshot.

The hopshot needs to be boil to achieve bitterness.  You squeezing that in and it will just sink ( or float ) and never do anything.

Helles with some hallertau dh sounds good to me  :D

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

The hopshot needs to be boil to achieve bitterness.  You squeezing that in and it will just sink ( or float ) and never do anything.

Okay, got it.

Helles with some hallertau dh sounds good to me  :D

Of course it does!  :lol:  

Okay, I am going to be here this week but this weekend I'm driving with my son back to Boulder and then flying back early next week.  I'm going to just ignore this beer until then and I'll try it when I get back.  If it's "not right", I'll add some Hallertau as a DH and see wha hapeens.  Cheers & thanks.

#27 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:11 AM

As is said below, don't add it to the finished beer.  It's not meant for that.  But you could try some isomerized hop extract.

Ken, with all due respect.....maybe you need to get over the idea of what a helles "should be" and just make a beer you like.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

Ken, with all due respect.....maybe you need to get over the idea of what a helles "should be" and just make a beer you like.

Understood.

In a way, I get the idea of the great European beers being excellent when you're there but not great once they are no longer fresh and also the fact that many American craft breweries don't make beers like that either (you know, like the dry-hopped pilsner you might find at an American brewpub).  So I do know what a real Munich helles should be like and I'm trying to get as close as possible.  

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

just another option would be to blend this beer with some pils.  then you also get to drink some pils.

Edited by Zsasz, 12 August 2019 - 12:32 PM.

#30 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:21 PM

I feel like I often suggest X-number of IBUs on the LO forum and I'm often told that I need to go easier on the hops.  Like a 20-IBU beer where I might suggest a couple ticks higher... someone will say, NO, TOO MANY IBUS!   :blink:

Thanks Pete.

Hmm.  The LO guys say NO SULFATE.  Pete, what's your take on that?

I destroyed a pale ale I'd made several times before by upping the sulfate to dry it out.  I don't do that any more.      However...   Sounds like you need to do some experimenting!

#31 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

I destroyed a pale ale I'd made several times before by upping the sulfate to dry it out.  I don't do that any more.      However...   Sounds like you need to do some experimenting!

doesn't that just say you used too much?  Or was a very tiny addition too much?  Anyway, that's one reason to try it in a glass first

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:36 PM

I see people saying that use 250ppm of sulfate in certain beers which I cannot fathom... but that doesn't mean anything.  :P

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:15 PM

I see people saying that use 250ppm of sulfate in certain beers which I cannot fathom... but that doesn't mean anything. :P

Yup, I use that much in certain IPAs. Love to see a true west coast DIPA made without sulfates.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

I see people saying that use 250ppm of sulfate in certain beers which I cannot fathom... but that doesn't mean anything.  :P

I've done over 300ppm.  tasted great!

#35 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:09 PM

Yup, I use that much in certain IPAs. Love to see a true west coast DIPA made without sulfates.

it'd be hop syrup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users