64 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:27 AM

Found a deal online for 3# of DME for $5.99 and I had seen some posts before for a no boil NEIPA so figured why not and got 15#'s worth.  The plan is  to use 6#'s of DME and .5# of plain sugar and brew up a 1.060 wort.  I plan to bring it to 165-170 and hit it with Chinook and Citra and "whirlpool" for 20-30 minutes then chill it down hit it with some S-09 and see what happens.  Dryhop will be Chinook, Citra and Simcoe and this should be a quick turn around beer and a quick brew-day.

One thing I am still not sure is water adjustment.  I may add in a bit of CaCL to the water to get that mouthfeel but not sure.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:38 AM

This is your style so I think it would be a fun brewday. It will be cool to see how you feel about a beer made with extract after all of this all-grain brewing you've done. Please report back on the brewday and the beer itself. Also, what's S-09?  On the water I think I would use the exact amount you expect to have as your 'finished' product... right around 5 gallons.  There will be additional volume because of the DME which could bring it to 5.25 gallons I suppose.  Good luck Extract Man.  :P

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:40 AM

This is your style so I think it would be a fun brewday. It will be cool to see how you feel about a beer made with extract after all of this all-grain brewing you've done. Please report back on the brewday and the beer itself. Also, what's S-09?

yes,  I am curious how it will compare and that is why I am using the hop bill for my most common NEIPA/Hazy beer.

S-09 is my blend of S-05 and S-04.  

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:45 AM

S-09 is my blend of S-05 and S-04.  

LOL, pretty funny

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:08 AM

LOL, pretty funny

Yeah,  I got tired of spelling it out so I just went with S-09.  It works and so does the blend :)

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:20 AM

I brewed with extract for an unbelievable 5 years. I often wonder how a batch of lager would come out with just some pale DME, maybe steep some carahell, etc. and then boil with some Hallertau. But the cost of DME is usually an issue. Just to buy some for starters can be painful. :D

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:23 AM

I brewed with extract for an unbelievable 5 years. I often wonder how a batch of lager would come out with just some pale DME, maybe steep some carahell, etc. and then boil with some Hallertau. But the cost of DME is usually an issue. Just to buy some for starters can be painful. :D

I agree the cost is a lot that is why I had not done it till I found the 3#'s for 5.99.  Loooks like it is normally 12.99 for 3#'s?

https://www.homebrew...rSgmhZI-eHXTld4

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:45 AM

what type of DME is it?  curious since you aren't using any steeping grains.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:56 AM

what type of DME is it?  curious since you aren't using any steeping grains.

Golden Light 4 lovibond.

I debated steeping something or even some carapils or carahell... not sure yet if I will or not..most likely not for this batch.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:59 AM

Golden Light 4 lovibond.

I debated steeping something or even some carapils or carahell... not sure yet if I will or not..most likely not for this batch.

does the company provide any info on what grains went into it?  sometimes I think there is a little dextrine in there anyway.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:04 AM

does the company provide any info on what grains went into it?  sometimes I think there is a little dextrine in there anyway.

Honestly, not sure.  I got the box and opened it up and brought it to the brewery to make my wife happy :)

Looks like there is some carapils in there like you mention http://www.brewingwi...denLightDME.pdf

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:11 AM

Honestly, not sure.  I got the box and opened it up and brought it to the brewery to make my wife happy :)

Looks like there is some carapils in there like you mention http://www.brewingwi...denLightDME.pdf

when I said little I wasn't thinking that little :lol:  1%?  I wonder why they do that.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:59 PM

You might want to consider adding a bit of sugar for fermentability.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:04 PM

You might want to consider adding a bit of sugar for fermentability.

In the OP I mentioned add a half pound of sugar to the 6#'s of DME. Do you think that is not enough and I should use a full pound?

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:08 PM

In the OP I mentioned add a half pound of sugar to the 6#'s of DME. Do you think that is not enough and I should use a full pound?

I missed that.  That should be plenty. 

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:10 PM

I missed that.  That should be plenty. 

Got it thanks!  Been about 15+ years since I made an extract batch.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

Cool idea. Report back.

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:33 AM

Got it thanks!  Been about 15+ years since I made an extract batch.

I made a bunch of them a few years back when I was testing the rye extract from Briess. I was amazed at how much better they turned out than I remembered. I think that it's a sign that it's experi3nce that makes a difference, not the extract itself.

#19 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

Briess Wheat LME is real good for Hefe's. There is a comp at our brew guild picnic and the winner is usually a beer someone threw together with it. I won this year with it and a packet of lalemand munich classic.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

I made a bunch of them a few years back when I was testing the rye extract from Briess. I was amazed at how much better they turned out than I remembered. I think that it's a sign that it's experi3nce that makes a difference, not the extract itself.

but how was it compared to recent AG batches?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users