#21 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

but how was it compared to recent AG batches?

I took a long time to go AG myself, maybe 4 years? By the time I did, my extract techniques and methods were making good brews.  

I'm almost tempted to grab a bit of DME and try it again.

#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:00 PM

but how was it compared to recent AG batches?

The extract Rye IPA was virtually indistinguishable from the AG version

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:34 AM

The extract Rye IPA was virtually indistinguishable from the AG version

great news for people starting out in this hobby!

#24 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

great news for people starting out in this hobby!

Ya know, it's not just beginners that brew extract.  I do sometimes.  A lot of people who are advanced brewers use extract because it's fast and easy and they make great beer with it.  This is the pushback I get with Simple Homebrewing.  People assume simple is for beginners, when it's experienced brewers who often need it most.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

Ya know, it's not just beginners that brew extract. I do sometimes. A lot of people who are advanced brewers use extract because it's fast and easy and they make great beer with it. This is the pushback I get with Simple Homebrewing. People assume simple is for beginners, when it's experienced brewers who often need it most.

I think you are reading more into this than you should. My main point is that a beginner almost always starts with extract and in the past there was a view that extract would always yield slightly less than ag type results. If are truly equivalent it's mainly cost that would stop me from using it more often.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:03 AM

Got this one in the fermenter yesterday.

Went with 

6# Briess Golden light (extract)

.75# Bries Pilsen (extract)

.5# sugar

Brought it up to 185 then threw in 5oz of Galaxy, 1oz Citra Cryo pellets and 1oz Simco cryo powder.  Combo of S-05 and S-04 going to do the work.  OG was just about 1.060.  Hit it with some dryhops latter this week and I assume keg next week and force carbonate for a 2 week beer.

ETA:

2g of CaCL 

2g of Gypsum

2ML of 88% lactic

added to the kettle

Edited by HVB, 09 September 2019 - 05:44 AM.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:17 AM

Went with 

6# Briess Golden light

.75# Bries Pilsen

.5# sugar

Brought it up to 185 then threw in 5oz of Galaxy, 1oz Citra Cryo pellets and 1oz Simco cryo powder.  Combo of S-05 and S-04 going to do the work.  OG was just about 1.060.  Hit it with some dryhops latter this week and I assume keg next week and force carbonate for a 2 week beer.

is the briess pilsen also extract?  I'm assuming yes since you wouldn't want to mash less than a pound of malt :P

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:19 AM

is the briess pilsen also extract?  I'm assuming yes since you wouldn't want to mash less than a pound of malt :P

yes it was.  I had it for starters but it was time to use it up.

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:37 AM

well I'm excited to hear how this turns out :cheers:

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:44 AM

well I'm excited to hear how this turns out :cheers:

I have note done extract in so long I had no idea if I throw a whirfloc tab in or not.  I skipped it and brewtan.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:53 AM

I have note done extract in so long I had no idea if I throw a whirfloc tab in or not.  I skipped it and brewtan.

not that I think the beer relaly suffer but I don't see why you wouldn't.  the DME still has proteins and stuff in it right?  and the brewtan could still help reduce oxidation down the line??  of the two maybe the brewtan might be less important in this case but that's just a guess.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:14 AM

not that I think the beer relaly suffer but I don't see why you wouldn't.  the DME still has proteins and stuff in it right?  and the brewtan could still help reduce oxidation down the line??  of the two maybe the brewtan might be less important in this case but that's just a guess.

I do not think it would have hurt anything just did not remember to do it.  Oh well, the beer is a hazy NEIPA so it will be fine ..lol

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:19 AM

I do not think it would have hurt anything just did not remember to do it.  Oh well, the beer is a hazy NEIPA so it will be fine ..lol

if your house is anything like mine you'll drink it all before oxidation becomes a major issue :P

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:21 AM

if your house is anything like mine you'll drink it all before oxidation becomes a major issue :P

That goes with out saying!!  Also this will be the only drinkable on tap beer.  My last pilsner had a huge spuding issue and is so foamy it is awful.

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:31 AM

can't you just put a spunding valve on there to slowly lower the carbonation level?

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:53 AM

can't you just put a spunding valve on there to slowly lower the carbonation level?

I have tried that and not going well.

So this beer I tried to spund when I was on vacation and the valve leaked.  I came home and threw in some sugar boiled with water to get it going and I over did it and possible got something in there as well.  The beer is OK but kind of blah to be honest.  There is no hop character at all and it needed some.

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:01 AM

On another board there was a brief discussion about doing some experimental extract batches and I joined in saying that I had made some nice extract batches 15+ years ago and that it would be fun to try it again. The negative backlash (from some) was swift and strong. <_<

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:07 AM

On another board there was a brief discussion about doing some experimental extract batches and I joined in saying that I had made some nice extract batches 15+ years ago and that it would be fun to try it again. The negative backlash (from some) was swift and strong. <_<

perhaps these are people who only used old LME or something?  it's kind of like the dry yeast thing where the dry yeast now is WAY better than it used to be (or so I hear).

#39 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:35 AM

I think you are reading more into this than you should. My main point is that a beginner almost always starts with extract and in the past there was a view that extract would always yield slightly less than ag type results. If are truly equivalent it's mainly cost that would stop me from using it more often.

Got it!

Neither would have hurt.  I always used to use IM with extract.

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:52 AM

Went with 

6# Briess Golden light (extract)

.75# Bries Pilsen (extract)

.5# sugar

ETA:

2g of CaCL 

2g of Gypsum

2ML of 88% lactic

added to the kettle

Yesterday was Day 2 of active fermentation so I hit it with 2oz of galaxy and 1oz of simcoe.  I also put aside 3.3oz of both simcoe and galaxy ( odd amount I know but I had 3.3oz of simcoe left in the package so figured use it up) for the second dryhop in the keg.  And yes, I know this is a LOT of hops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users