hey did you know that's a lot of hops?

#42 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:10 AM

Did you know that beer is going to come out really hoppy drez. I hope you really like simcoe and galaxy. Cuz, I mean, ya know, they're really going to come through in that beer. 

#43 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:51 AM

Did you know that beer is going to come out really hoppy drez. I hope you really like simcoe and galaxy. Cuz, I mean, ya know, they're really going to come through in that beer. 

I am worried they will not come out enough  in it :)

#44 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:19 PM

I keep saying I'll get back into brewing but the hurdle to get all my AG stuff set up after the move just doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon.  Extract could be the ticket.  Hell, I may even buy a kit!   :o

ETA:  I remember looking at the prices of kits years ago and scoffing but the craft beer prices have come up so much they're actually a deal now.  Kit prices haven't inflated anywhere near as much as craft beer.  I'm regularly paying $12-15 for a 6 pack (or 4 16oz), at 5 gallons that's well over $100.  

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and do it.  the downside is essentially zero.  Brewing has been so far from my mind I forgot I bought a bunch of 2.5 gal kegs for smaller batches.  Slapping together a 2.5g stovetop extract batch is a pretty low bar.

Edited by JKor, 15 September 2019 - 10:10 PM.

#45 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 September 2019 - 04:14 AM

just head over to jasper's.  he has a great selection of stuff.

#46 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:33 PM

just head over to jasper's.  he has a great selection of stuff.

Since I moved here I've been going there or Beer and Wine Hobby in Woburn, about the some time/distance for me.  I need Clarity Ferm and I know they have it at BWH, not sure about Jasper's.

#47 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:02 PM

The thing is, as much as brewing is marketed as something that is pretty tough to screw up (Papazian, et al), it can quickly become a geeky obsession when you realize all the ways you can improve your process. And the process is generally what makes or breaks it. Just look at all the low O2 stuff. It can get pretty complex. When I started brewing when I was 16, it was just to get beer legally. But it started to become something that revealed itself as a real discipline that demanded real attention to detail to fully execute my vision. At the time, craft beer was somewhat inexpensive, but harder to obtain fresh, quality examples. Now it’s more expensive, and while it’s easier to find good stuff, I am often underwhelmed by the selection of fresh, well cared for packaged beer. Breweries themselves have become more abundant and are definitely where more people are drinking the beer. Home brewing will always be the best way for most people to have beer in its finest form, but it’s definitely a lot of work to do right

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:03 PM

11 days old. Pretty happy so far but it needs more time for the hop burn to die down.

67957367_10159120759004657_5653916238607

Edited by HVB, 19 September 2019 - 03:05 PM.

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, when there is that much hop particulate it is usually a little much. I predict in about 5 days it will be 2x as good :cheers:

Edited by Zsasz, 19 September 2019 - 04:22 PM.

#50 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:26 PM

Yeah, when there is that much hop particulate it is usually a little much. I predict in about 5 days it will be 2x as good :cheers:

I agree. It just went into the keezer for crashing yesterday too.

#51 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:42 AM

11 days old. Pretty happy so far but it needs more time for the hop burn to die down.

67957367_10159120759004657_5653916238607

What the estimated IBU for using 7 oz of high alpha hops for no boil?  Is there an IBU converter out there for no boil?

#52 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:04 AM

What the estimated IBU for using 7 oz of high alpha hops for no boil?  Is there an IBU converter out there for no boil?

I am not sure what the IBU# is to be honest.  Some say to approximate using a 20 minute addition.  To my taste buds this is 40-45 IBU.  That may be associated with some hop burn so I will see if it goes down a little.  Next time I would do less at this temp and add more at say 130-140*.

#53 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

I didn't see it in this thread but is there any advice for how to treat water for extract batches? Should gypsum or cacl be added simply with regards to hitting the desired sulfate and chloride levels for the beer in question? Does an extract Brewer need to be very careful about the pH of the wort?

#54 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:30 PM

Calcium is still a vital yeast nutrient so if your water was low in calcium I would still add CaCl and/or CaSO4 and how much of each might depend on style.  If I were to make an extract batch where I was steeping grains in the water prior to boil, I would absolutely be checking the pH of that water and (in my case) lower it with lactic acid before the grains were added.  

#55 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:49 PM

I've heard mixed info on the calcium thing but it certainly didn't hurt.

#56 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

I didn't see it in this thread but is there any advice for how to treat water for extract batches? Should gypsum or cacl be added simply with regards to hitting the desired sulfate and chloride levels for the beer in question? Does an extract Brewer need to be very careful about the pH of the wort?

I did not worry about pH and did not even take a reading.  I added CaCL and SO4 to the boil to get where I assumed I wanted the water profile to be.  I did err on the side of a light hand here.

#57 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:53 AM

Towards the end of my extract days I remember reading something about adding a bit of LME or DME to the water that was going to be used for steeping and it had to do with pH which I was woefully unaware of in those days.  I probably would not have been using CaCl or CaSO4 in those days because my water knowledge would have been non-existent too.  I brewed with extract from 1999 to 2004 and I know that I did not have bad beer due to pH issues which is pretty remarkable.  I steeped a lot of specialty malt in water with a pH of 6.5 to 7.5 without causing a problem.  But if I were to make an extract batch now I might lower the pH of the water with lactic acid, add a bit of CaCl and/or CaSO4 and then steep any specialty malts and then continue with everything else.  I would do a full volume boil as well.  Hard to believe that people did partial boils and then topped-up with water but I did plenty of that.  The extract beers were much better with a full-volume boil.   

#58 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:41 PM

I think if I were to do it now I'd just steep in less than my full volume.

#59 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:01 PM

I think if I were to do it now I'd just steep in less than my full volume.

Why?

#60 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:06 AM

Why?

so that way the pH during steeping would be lower to begin with.  I'd probably still add some salts too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users