#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:59 PM

and that's exactly my point. They used tol be everywhere. Now it's "I still see them sometimes". I think hard seltzer will do the same. And maybe even NEIPA. It has declined in popularity a lot in the last couple years.

I think craft beer in general is less popular up here. Neipa relative to other styles is still going strong though.

#22 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:32 PM

Is NEIPA still a fad? As for the black ipa. I coworker was in Quebec and ordered one but it turned out to be a sour black ipa and not good. Sour IPAs can go away imo.

Gotta day, sour and bitter can definitely clash. Done well tho, it can be nice. Highly recommend checking out Hudson Valley Brewing. They also make one of the best pilsners I’ve had.

#23 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:40 PM

2 words...black IPA. They were once ubiquitous. Now they're really hard to find.

Well, I was talking to a friend who works for a distributor who said he has stores going through hundreds of cases a week individually. I don’t think black IPA ever did. I’m always willing to eat my words and buy you a beer, but I think this is only gonna get bigger. Used to be craft beer was a segment full of knowledgeable tasters, aficionados even. It’s so diluted now because people want to seem cool so the drink it, until they realize they don’t really like it. Social media helped grow home brewing which in turn grew craft beer as a segment, but now it’s been highjacked by people with no understanding of beer outside of what makes them seem like the top dog beer taster guy. Really sucks, IMO. Just look at how regular seltzer has exploded. People want seltzer with booze now. Maybe the same thing will happen. Buncha ambitious entrepreneurs will start craft seltzer companies now to compete with big seltzer, only 30 years later to succumb to a new thing.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:01 AM

Gotta day, sour and bitter can definitely clash. Done well tho, it can be nice. Highly recommend checking out Hudson Valley Brewing. They also make one of the best pilsners I’ve had.

They are on my radar.  I just hit Suarez Family this weekend after leaving my sisters house and I really like the pilsner I got there.

#25 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

Well, I was talking to a friend who works for a distributor who said he has stores going through hundreds of cases a week individually. I don’t think black IPA ever did. I’m always willing to eat my words and buy you a beer, but I think this is only gonna get bigger. Used to be craft beer was a segment full of knowledgeable tasters, aficionados even. It’s so diluted now because people want to seem cool so the drink it, until they realize they don’t really like it. Social media helped grow home brewing which in turn grew craft beer as a segment, but now it’s been highjacked by people with no understanding of beer outside of what makes them seem like the top dog beer taster guy. Really sucks, IMO. Just look at how regular seltzer has exploded. People want seltzer with booze now. Maybe the same thing will happen. Buncha ambitious entrepreneurs will start craft seltzer companies now to compete with big seltzer, only 30 years later to succumb to a new thing.

2 years ago, every place here had at least 2-3.  These days, maybe one place in 5 has 1.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:15 PM

2 years ago, every place here had at least 2-3. These days, maybe one place in 5 has 1.

Are you talking about black IPA or neipa now?

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:45 PM

Right because 2-3 NEIPAs seems really low to me. At least here it is about 60-80% of the taps.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:29 PM

Right because 2-3 NEIPAs seems really low to me. At least here it is about 60-80% of the taps.

2-3 of one style is still pretty high considering.

#29 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:08 AM

2 words...black IPA.  They were once ubiquitous.  Now they're really hard to find.

And people say there is no God!

#30 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

2 years ago, every place here had at least 2-3. These days, maybe one place in 5 has 1.

I’m sure there are regional differences, pretty much no one around here makes black IPA. Still, comparing the fate of black IPA to that of these white claw type seltzers is kinda apples to oranges. Totally different beverage categories. I stand by it. These seltzers are here to stay.

#31 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

NEIPA

That's why I said at least.  Some had 5 or more.

I’m sure there are regional differences, pretty much no one around here makes black IPA. Still, comparing the fate of black IPA to that of these white claw type seltzers is kinda apples to oranges. Totally different beverage categories. I stand by it. These seltzers are here to stay.

We'll see, huh?

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:10 PM

That's why I said at least. Some had 5 or more.

I am saying it is still 60-80% here. Different than your 1 in 5. Not slowing down here though I would like to see some more tap and can offerings of other styles.

#33 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:24 PM

Yup :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users